What do you guys keep in your cars?

Discussion in 'Vehicle & Transportation' started by youpock, Nov 6, 2009.

1. youpock

youpock Well-Known Member

Preparedness type stuff. I have flashlight/some tools/bungees/etc in all my cars. But in my daily I have a two mre's, two power bars, a thick blanket, a case of water and a hand held cb.

Anything else maybe to keep in? I've contemplated keeping a pistol in there too but there are a lot of places with firearm restricts that I go to lol

2. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Chopsticks. Spoon. Gum. Expandable riot baton, Serrated knife, Straight bladed knife, Nylon Climbing Sling, Multi Tool, Lots of maps, Mini flashlight, Windshield paint, Ice scraper, and now that it is getting cold out the avalanche shovel is going in.

3. tyler_kd0bsa

tyler_kd0bsa Well-Known Member

Tow strap, tools, flashlight, batteries, 2mtr mobile radio, road flares, ice scraper, blanket, towel, jacket(s), CERT gear, Snacks, heater meal, water, shovel, axe, and etc.

4. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

Wool blankets, knife, pry bar, fire extinguisher, case of water, chains, d-rings, 3-ton floor jack, multi-head lug wrench, extra oil, extra transmission fluid, extra wiper fluid, extra anti-freeze, a rifle, jumper cables, a gas can, some jerky, an ice scraper, a hand winch, a first aid kit.

5. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

In my truck (club cab Dakota)I carry a hatchet, multi tool, Bic lighters, some basic hand tools, safety glasses and ear muffs, ratchet straps, usually some basic first aid stuff. The list varies. I have a diamond-plate aluminum toolbox that spans the front of the bed. It comes out in the winter because of the wood I need to haul, but in it there is usually bungee cords, more tools, a bow saw, zip ties, etc. I typically don't carry food or water because in the winter it'd freeze and all year long mice seem to find food if it's left in a vehicle for too long.

6. sinbad

sinbad Well-Known Member

Please don't forget a folding shovel.
    Takes very little space and can be an asset in bad situations.

Fleece blanket also takes very little space.

7. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Unfortunately, that's because we live in the state of Califorussia:(. One of the disadvantages of living here.

8. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I just cleaned out my Jeep (daily driver) of everything in it, vacuumed it out and put back into the Jeep all the stuff that I think I will need for the winter.

Buck-saw, tire-chains, tow-strap, D-shackles, blankets, flashlights, all-sixteenths wrench, slip-joint plyers, fuses, gloves, balaclava, toque, snacks, knife, machete, heavy-boots, first-aid and emergency-kits (emerg.kit includes rope, jumper-cables, ground-sheet, etc in small duffel bag), wheel-chocks, plastic and re-usable bags, roll of blue-cloth, hand-cleaner, blue-mechanics gloves, latex surgical gloves, napkins, solar-blanket, poncho ...

I haven't had any issues with mice getting into my vehicles around here ... Jason, have you checked your truck for any holes through-to-the-cab that the mice can get in through?

9. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

Don't for get extra belts.

10. youpock

youpock Well-Known Member

I decided to actually go through the stuff in my car after I posted this to check up and I realized I only had two flares so I bought some more. They seem like helpful things to have lol.

It's interesting all the terrain related stuff you guys have to have with you. My daily is a golf, haha. If the weather ever goes to hell bad enough to cause snow in my area I'll probably already be dead; but I do have a shovel in my truck.:beercheer:

11. almac

almac Active Member

my 4x4 van has a removeable galley with a propane 2burner stovetop, sink with freshwater tank, and a small custom 12v cooler.
    also has a double convertible bed.
    currently looking at camper battery possibilities...

other supplies:
    wool blanket
    first aid kit
    survival kit
    gerber LMF2
    socket/wrench kit
    a couple days canned goods
    a change of clothes, depending on the season.

12. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

I keep the bare essentials in our car:

4 - half-drunk bottles of water for the dog
    6 - plastic bowls somewhere beneath the seat
    27 - very dry old peanuts under the seats
    1/2 of a bag of combos (cheddar cheese/cracker)
    Maps of cities and states I don't frequent
    A dog-eared copy of InFisherman magazine
    Jack/Tire Iron/Spare
    All the napkins I can sneak out of McDonalds

:D

13. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

I have a pack in my trunk that has:
    - First aid kit
    - Couple of Clif bars
    - two half-full bottles of water (to prevent freezing)
    - instant shelter reflective poncho/tent
    - compass
    - fixed-blade knife
    - leatherman
    - zip-ties
    - magnesium firestarter
    - pair of socks
    - long-sleeve t-shirt
    - 3 or 4 bandanas
    - water purifying tablets
    - a book
    - may have accumulated a few more things I can't think of at the moment.

I also keep in the trunk:
    -wool blanket
    - fleece sleeping bag
    - hatchet
    - machete

14. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Clif bars are incredible. I was turned onto them this fall by a friend who is a marathon runner. They're a little pricy but they are worth it.

15. twolilfishies

twolilfishies wanna be prepared

I dont drive ... Im hoping to be out in the middle of forest by myself before stuff goes down...If i dont make it say a little prayer for me.haha.

16. NaeKid

Don't you live downtown??

The hike to the nearest forest for you would be about 50km of walking - based on my 5km/h walking speed it would be ~10hrs plus breaks with not too many water-holes between you and there .. trust me - I have cycle'd to it and through it (mountain-biking), drove it and camped in all of the closest forests around Calgary ...

17. twolilfishies

twolilfishies wanna be prepared

We are actually living downtown right now , yes.
    But next year we will be in the forest with all our stuff building our earthship!
    I take the bus,ride my bike and walk everywhere!
    It isnt a bad walk at all....Only now I have 3 kids that tag along with me. That has put the brakes on my ability to get anywhere fast:)
    I grew up on the top of a mountain in BC.....What am i talking about ?:scratch
    Oh yah.. cARS!! who needs em anyways?!

18. NaeKid

I also grew up on a mountain-top in BC - well, 3/4 of the way between the bottom of the valley and the top of the mountain. I also hiked everywhere, rode my bicycle everywhere and spent my winters on my X-country skis ... that doesn't mean that I would be able to do the same here in the city.

I did spend several years here in Calgary with my bicycle as my only mode of transportation - summer and winter I rode my bike through the snow-drifts at -30° and sweated through the summer in the +30° weather .. ya - I am still kinda nuts ... :nuts:

19. drhwest

drhwest Junior Member

In my car:
    Multi-tool
    LED flashlight
    1/2 case of water (about 12 bottles)
    blanket
    4 road flares
    jumper cables
    pistol
    small hard plastic case with:
    candles
    matches
    granola bars
    first aid kit

I plan on putting most, if not all, of this in an small backpack or bag soon.

Carl

20. Tex

Tex Pincushion

Lots of tools for work. (sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, flashlights, multimeter, O-scope)
    tow strap
    phone charger
    blanket
    coat
    cooler of water
    first aid kit
    jumper cables
    spare fan belt
    200 rounds of 9mm

I guess I'm lacking in the food department, but it should get me home to my family. I should put fire extinguishers in all of my vehicles. My pistol is not listed because it is usually in my holster on my person.