What do you do when your meds aren't available?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by HarleyRider, May 14, 2010.

1. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

What do you do when all of the prepping in the world won't make any difference?

I have stockpiled all of the food, water, etc. Plans are made for alternative power, a "safe" place to live, etc. Even though I am in pretty good shape for TEOTWAWKI and when the SHTF, I likely won't survive either one of them. Here's the problem, and I sure could use some sage advise.

I have certain "medical conditions" that require daily medication. If those meds run out, and I can't get any more, I will die. Most of these meds are "Prescription Only" and the most I can keep on hand is a 30-day supply. The doctors won't write a prescription that allows refills more than once a month.

So, how do I get around this little dilemma? It looks like my only course would be to break in to a drug store and steal all of the meds I could find to extend my life, maybe having to risk being shot as a looter.

Also, as a Christian, I would have serious problems along that line.

Any ideas from my friends on this site would be greatly appreciated. Also, if worst comes to worse, I will make sure that I pass on the location of my "stuff" to at least one of you to better your own chances of survival.

Sorry to be so maudlin, but this is something I needed to get off of my chest. Hopefully things won't get quite this bad. Thanks, guys and gals. :eek:

2. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

I don't know what your medical needs are but in our case we use natural and herbal remedies as much as possible. In some cases though, that's not an option.

Our prayers are with you.

3. TimB

TimB Member

That would be a major concern for me as well if I was in your shoes. Sorry I don't have any suggestions (breaking into a drugstore may be the only way to save yourself :( ) but possibly someone else here can help.

Tim

4. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

Talk to your Doctor tell him your concerns. If he or she can't or won't help you find one who will. Don't give up.:surrender: Find all the info on your meds and talk to other types of medical experts. Maybe there is something you can start doing to help yourself down the road. There will be alot of people in the same boat.
    I think there will be a run on the drug stores, but most meds will be left untouched simply because they don't know what there for.
    Have something for trade just in case someone has what you need.

5. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I have meds the doctor writes prescriptions for and here they will accept a 90 day scrip and refills. My insurance carrier also does the 90 day coverage. Most of them I hold back one or two and keep for those times I forget to refill or just in 'case'. I have about one month or so reserve. Thank god these are not life threatening drugs if I can get any.

6. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat, Harley Rider. I'm on four strong pain medications, two of which can only be prescribed for a month at a time as they are controlled narcotics. Without them I'm in agony. I won't last a month after the meds run out.

There are no good substitutes that I've found. OTC pain meds don't touch it, except in lethal dosage rates. But I'm still looking.

7. HarleyRider

Me too, Jerry. My gut feeling tells me that we will both be alright. If I didn't think so, I wouldn't be preparing for whats to come. You're in my prayers, buddy. :goodluck:

8. Katie

Katie New Member

You can stock up on Meds

I also take perscribed medicines - although I will not die without them, my life will be difficult without them. I have been stocking up for almost a year now and I have 3 months worth stock piled.

Here is how you do it: Your insurance company will allow you to order your next refil when you still have a few pills left in the current month. I order my medications when I still have 1 weeks worth left. I mark it on my calendar so I don't forget to order. Every month that goes by, I can stock up on 1 week worth of medicine. I now have 3 months worth stockpiled. I also take a medication that is refilled on the 90 day cycle. This one is reordered when I have 30 days worth left. I now have a 3 month stock pile of this medication as well.

I don't have a years worth yet, but I feel better than if I had nothing. Just don't forget to rotate them so they stay fresh!

9. kyhoti

kyhoti Member

I am in the same boat. If I don't have my insulin, I am toast. While there are medicines that can help, my bottom line is the "reorder early and save". Our preps are doing o.k., but my main concern is having refrigeration. Without that, my insulin stash goes bad. I'm not planning on living forever, and I'm on this planet only by the grace of a loving creator, but I would like to survive TEOTWAWKI long enough to help my family adapt to the new situation. Good luck with your journey!

10. HarleyRider

GREAT IDEA!!! Thanks, Katie!!! :thankyou:

11. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that doesn't work with two of the medications I take. There is no early ordering option. Each prescription is dated with a hold until date that is a constant thirty day interval.

Those are the two key medicines. I can go a few days without the others, but not these. The most I can do is a couple days leeway when I simply forget to take a (usually mid-day) dose. Those three of four pills get me through a day or so when there is a glitch with the renewals.

12. TimB

TimB Member

I know how you feel about the agony part. Until I had my knees replaced back in March (I put it off for about 8 yrs. until I couldn't stand the pain and could barely work) I lived off prescription pain killers for about 1 1/2 months until the doc could do the surgery. :( Until last October I was taking the synthetic joint fluid injections (they lasted way longer than cortisone shots). After the last series didn't offer any relief the doc said it was time for surgery. I hope and pray you find something that will help before the time comes.

Tim

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  13. neil-v1

neil-v1 Old Member

I am in the same boat as far as meds go and the only thing you can do (and I have been doing myself) is skipping a dose here and there and storing it away. A few times I have asked my doctor to try an increase in one or more meds I take and I have had more to store away. Then of course we have the expiration dates to think about. I will take them no matter how old they are even if they only work at half strength. After they are all gone, we may be part of a group that would be more expendable because of our medical conditions. Either that or we need to learn to live and survive without our meds.

14. 101airborne

101airborne Well-Known Member

Unfortunatly all medicines expire after a while. Many of them such as antibiotics and most narcotics become dangerous to use after the expiration date. you can use herbal remedies for a very large portion of ailments. For example bruisewort aka daisys are good for bruises and contusions. Jewelweed works wonders as a salve for poison ivy rash/itch as well as bug bites. Given a little time I could list a couple hundred more. Like slippery elm works like aspirin, get you a good book on medicinal wild herbs such as the one by petersons. It has hundreds of herbs as well as color pics of most of them.