Prepared Society Forum banner
141 - 160 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Things I'm prepping for now at this time period:

1. Economic collapse from the dollar- trying to bring my food stores up to 3 months based on my current income. Payoff my major debt ( mortgage and equity loan). Hopefully find more cash with another PT job to extend food storage. Buy more silver.

2. Bad weather- last 2 years we had more snow than past years, again food stores are the key to keeep any more unnecessary traveling last minute and dealing with the "snowmageddon" masses at the grocery store

3. Defending my home should the economy dives to the seafloor- training once a month to develop muscle memory with my various firearms.
Also need to check on ammo supply minimums....

Anything else is knowledge gain from this ( and other sites) to keep me prepping and motivated. :usaflag:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Things I'm prepping for now at this time period:

1. Economic collapse from the dollar- trying to bring my food stores up to 3 months based on my current income. Payoff my major debt ( mortgage and equity loan). Hopefully find more cash with another PT job to extend food storage. Buy more silver.

2. Bad weather- last 2 years we had more snow than past years, again food stores are the key to keeep any more unnecessary traveling last minute and dealing with the "snowmageddon" masses at the grocery store

3. Defending my home should the economy dives to the seafloor- training once a month to develop muscle memory with my various firearms.
Also need to check on ammo supply minimums....

Anything else is knowledge gain from this ( and other sites) to keep me prepping and motivated. :usaflag:
If it was me, I'd be more concerned with the preps and less concerned about the debt. I think you need a year's supply of food ASAP. Maybe I'm just paranoid but with the EU banking troubles we could find out next week that the Federal Reserve is about to pump $5 trillion into the European banking system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@ BillS

I agree with you I should work up to a year's supply of food.

Unfortunately, my current job can be eliminated any dang time, so 3 months is a start for me, and slooowly build from there.

As far as preps ( equipment,etc....) I'm set. Most of my preps are those from my backpacking days and newer equipment purchased the last few years.

The only advantange for me regarding food is that there is only me , myself, and I - no other. That helps in my food purchase and keeps the budget on schedule and tight.

Just have to "MacGyver" my preps as I move along.....!

·
Survival of The Smartest
42 Posts
BillS.... Sounds like you have a good start. I understand your dilema with the income issue and the need to prep. I haven't had full time work in over 4 years and I'll be 63 years old on 9-16-11. Fotunately and with God at my side, I have about 8 months storage and working on it constantly. I store wet packed, dry goods, dehydrated and freeze dried. So far, so good. I have even managed to store supplies for my pets. After all, they deserve a chance too. You mentioned ammo supply. I reload and keep plenty of components as well as factory and reloaded ammo on hand. If you want a great place to buy factory ammo, try Bulk Ammo. I buy from them when I can and haven't been disappointed yet. Their prices are phenominal. Not long ago I bought some 12 guage OO buckshot for $5.50 for 10 rounds. Hard to beat. Anyhoo.... Good luck with your prepping and God bless...

·
Registered
5 Posts
@bills: I was peplying to someone else's post about us knowing where everything is in space so there is no threat by showing atleast one case where we didn't know something was there even though it comes by us every 20 years or less. As to how to prepare, My plane if I can ever do it should be good for anything (short of the whold planit blowing up) that may happen.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I honestly think that at least this country if not the entire worlds economy is about to collapse and very soon. The implications of that are so far reaching that I would bet you all that almost 95% of the people here have not a clue as to how bad it really would be. People would take their credit/debit cards to the nearest grocery store , only to find out that they would not be honored at all. Cash ? most likely for about 3 days or so, until they found out it would no longer be any good. Gold ? Ok, look at it this way, suppose I announce that I would be selling staples of flour, oats, wheat etc. You bring me a 1oz round of gold. I would laugh at you and send you on your way with your little goldie thingies still in your pocket. They are really tough to chew and even worse to swallow.

The only things I would accept would be things that I needed to survive or trade for even better things. In other words, IF the economy were to collapse which I do believe will happen, I would not be willing to accept any form of money, including gold, silver, checks, credit or debit cards or even I.O.U's. I bet you , that within a couple of days, anyone with extra anything would be the same way. It would become a barter only country. Your fresh fish for my extra pork sides or beef.

Guess to sum it all up, you may be better advised to stockpile extras of anything you can trade to other people in the same position.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I honestly think that at least this country if not the entire worlds economy is about to collapse and very soon. The implications of that are so far reaching that I would bet you all that almost 95% of the people here have not a clue as to how bad it really would be. People would take their credit/debit cards to the nearest grocery store , only to find out that they would not be honored at all. Cash ? most likely for about 3 days or so, until they found out it would no longer be any good. Gold ? Ok, look at it this way, suppose I announce that I would be selling staples of flour, oats, wheat etc. You bring me a 1oz round of gold. I would laugh at you and send you on your way with your little goldie thingies still in your pocket. They are really tough to chew and even worse to swallow.

The only things I would accept would be things that I needed to survive or trade for even better things. In other words, IF the economy were to collapse which I do believe will happen, I would not be willing to accept any form of money, including gold, silver, checks, credit or debit cards or even I.O.U's. I bet you , that within a couple of days, anyone with extra anything would be the same way. It would become a barter only country. Your fresh fish for my extra pork sides or beef.

Guess to sum it all up, you may be better advised to stockpile extras of anything you can trade to other people in the same position.
Excellent point. :2thumb: That is exactly what our small group has been doing. We will not barter guns, ammunition, or anything that could be used against us at a later date.

In addition to our normal prepping and stocking, we are laying in extra 1/2 pints of everclear & jim beam, coffee, tobacco, salt, sugar, honey and a few other essentials that folks will want and will be willing to barter for.

I do have a small amount of silver and silver coins, but that will be kept back until such time (if ever) that we return to a monitary system.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Can you imagine what a 1lb vacum sealed of rice or beans would be worth ? Now imagine a 50 gal barrel full of those little bags of rice and beans ? If I were a drinker, which I'm not, I could build a still and be making hootch in a matter of weeks should the need arise. What I would need would be corn, sugar and a couple of other small things. Now Imagine what a barrel of sugar in vacum bags and or corn worth ? Another thing that everybody could store and would be worth their weight in bullets would be garden vegie seeds.

Back during the Calif Gold Rush, thousand of men made their way out to the rugged mtns of Calif to find their fortune. One man, having gone broke trying to find gold, decided to supply the miners with something to help them out by moving more dirt then they could carry in their old oak buckets. He sat down and thought about it and invented a neat little thing with a wheel and two handles and called it " a wheelbarrow" Well, he sold them faster then hotcakes. He soon had to hire people to help him make them as fast as people could get to him with their gold. When he left calif after the rush was pretty much over, he moved to mich. and opened up a little company there,

He called it " Studeabaker" Maybe some of you have heard of it. Made a lot of cars for a lot of years. Just goes to show, you that most times a good thinker will always do better then the average doer

·
Texas!!!
1,529 Posts
Can you imagine what a 1lb vacum sealed of rice or beans would be worth ?
Lately, my preps have included making 1# bags of rice, beans, sugar, etc. I am also making little bottles of shampoo, dish soap, etc. I plan to use them to barter. Like some of the others on the list, I don't trust gold or any precious metals. In post-war Germany, food was currency. In a total economic collapse, I think we will see a repeat of this.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Starting next month, when it gets to cold to be working outside much, I will be putting up a lot more rice, beans, speggetti, sugar, flour, salt etc. I also buy the packages of chili fixens, and put the complete packages in vacum sealed bags. Lots of things that would make very good desirable barter items. Nothing ever happens, you have a lot of things to live on for a very long time.

·
55 Posts
you guys are right to prepare, but as to what for. I fear the govt that fears its people. folks this taco stand has a negative 65 trillion dollar networth. That is 65 - 115 trillion dollars of unfunded liabilities of our federal govt - thats u and me. the govt will default as soon as the fed prints enough money to cause inflation. i doubt we will ever get to hypher inflation just 10% acknowledged inflation rate will take most small businesses down, and then we will see martial law. I could be wrong it could be something else that causes martial law, today you have news stories advocating war and retaliation from iran, who knows. Martial Law will come, it will be ugly for those who are near the metropolitan centers. it could be as equally bad for those in rural areas. there are so many executive orders on the books now, they can take your firearms, food, farm land, businesses, whatever they want. can't imagine why they would want all that stuff, seems like they will want some people to be self sufficient while they sort out the mess. none-the-less, prepare, have back up plans, caches of goods. pray 2 chron 7:14 if you are of the mind. it may be our only hope.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
IMHO our main concerns in order....financial collapse. What happens when nobody wants our debt and inflation skyrockets and you can't afford gas and food.
CME - the sun shows us who's running things and time to see what 1882 was like. Got mule?
Political strife - I've never seen the country so split. Its like 300 million people all at each others throats. If a massive civil unrest broke out would you be suprised? Its like everyone is ready to hit the mattresses instead of working together.
This is just my .02 and pray for peace but prepare for the worst.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Disasters?

So, what types of disasters are you preparing for? What types do you think are most likely? And what are you doing about it?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well, I had a response all typed up, and I hit the backspace key, and it for some reason it went back to the post, and I lost it. It does that sometimes...

To answer your question, everyone's going to have different answers. It mainly depends on your location, if you're on a coast prone to hurricanes you prep for hurricanes. In California you should prep and plan for what you will do in and after an earthquake. The most likely events are inclement weather, which can be something of a disaster if you're not prepared. The potential list is long, financial meltdown, civil unrest, terrorism, etc. Any of these can and will probably cause a cascading failure of the system. It's also called the domino effect. Look at Hurricane Katrina, and the recent Japanese earthquake, which in my opinion were cascading failures.

The most basic things you can do are store food and water. Do a threat assessment for your area, and make plans. After you cover the basics, then you could start on what I call "broad spectrum" preps. It's all about lessening the impact that any emergency or disaster will have on you and your family. Take everything one step at a time, otherwise it can be overwhelming. Read the forum, and ask questions.

Everyone's situation is different. You need to prep for what you feel may happen. I don't know your level of skill or knowledge when it comes to prepping, but if you're a newbie, this is a good place to start.

·
BillM
2,002 Posts
Any thing

Anything that stops the trucks from running for more than a two weeks, nation wide, will trigger anachy .

The disruption of the supply of food fuel and other basics will leave the masses broke and hungry.

It could be a natural disaster , a man made disaster or an economic disaster, the effect will be the same.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
What am I personally preparing for? Primarily economic depression or collapse, either domestically or world-wide. I'm preparing for that by making sure I can perpetuate my food supply through gardening, small livestock, foraging, fishing, and hunting.

Solar activity could cause some glitches and even shut things down, so I keep that in mind. The biggest affect that would have for us is loss of internet. Transportation and electricity aren't issues for us, so I guess we're not doing anything special to prepare for that, even though losing the internet would cut us off from a lot of important things like our 'family' here on the forum.

There's a whole stew pot of other possibilities, but much of preparedness crosses over many lines.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I'm preparing for economic collapse. I believe it will be triggered by Greece defaulting. It won't happen the next day but after Greece defaults a lot of other dominoes will start to fall. I think we'll see the end of the dollar as the world's reserve currency, hyperinflation, and the death of the dollar. I believe we'll see electricity go out across America. Gas will get so expensive nobody can buy it and food will no longer be transported across the country. All levels of government will go bankrupt. We'll see complete anarchy. I don't know how America will avoid losing 90% or more of its population. America is like the Titanic 15 minutes before it hit the iceberg: everything appears normal but in a short time life will never be the same.

·
503 Posts
Imho flexebility is the key to survival. Prepare a little for as many differrent disasters as you can and keep yourself in a position to flow with the punches. Adapt or die.

141 - 160 of 193 Posts