Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None-A sack of coal will keep you warmer

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Retired Army
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I overheard momma is going to buy me a new rifle for Christmas. I have pistols, AR's, SKS's and all versions of 22's. I do have a family heirloom 30:06 bolt action.

Disregarding commonality of parts and ammo, to add a new rifle,bolt action, what caliber would you add?

Specifically for range and knockdown for deer and upwards.

I don't have much choice but I can influence small hints regarding caliber without giving it away.

Thanks!

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
.30-06 is a real common deer rifle right around here. An entire region of hunters can't be wrong. :)

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
'06 If you've already got one, you've got ammo too.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
.338 Lapua would be fun. Lots of people have a hard on for the 6.5mm Grendel. People also like the 6.8mm. .50 BMG makes for a fun hobby although it would probably blow a deer to pieces.

I'd say a .308 would be nice. Can't go wrong with an M1A. A FAL would be nice too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Even after more than one hundred years of existence, the venerable 30-06 still reigns as one of the finest all around big game cartridges for use on the North American continent. That being said, I find the 308, (7.62x51mm) a fine cartridge. It does not have the recoil that the 30-06 does, and it is more than adequate for deer size creatures. It is also available in many different bullet weights which can be used in a variety of situations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts