what caliber for Christmas?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by SurvivalNut, Oct 21, 2009.

1. .223

15.4%
  2. .22-250

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. .243 Win

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. .270

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. .308

23.1%
  6. .30-06

53.8%
  7. Other caliber

7.7%
  8. None-A sack of coal will keep you warmer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

I overheard momma is going to buy me a new rifle for Christmas. I have pistols, AR's, SKS's and all versions of 22's. I do have a family heirloom 30:06 bolt action.

Disregarding commonality of parts and ammo, to add a new rifle,bolt action, what caliber would you add?

Specifically for range and knockdown for deer and upwards.

I don't have much choice but I can influence small hints regarding caliber without giving it away.

Thanks!

2. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

.30-06 is a real common deer rifle right around here. An entire region of hunters can't be wrong. :)

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

'06 If you've already got one, you've got ammo too.

4. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

.338 Lapua would be fun. Lots of people have a hard on for the 6.5mm Grendel. People also like the 6.8mm. .50 BMG makes for a fun hobby although it would probably blow a deer to pieces.

I'd say a .308 would be nice. Can't go wrong with an M1A. A FAL would be nice too.

5. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

.30-06. It is a good all around hunting round and ammo is easy to find. At least both arguments hold true for me in my area.

6. richtaber

richtaber New Member

Even after more than one hundred years of existence, the venerable 30-06 still reigns as one of the finest all around big game cartridges for use on the North American continent. That being said, I find the 308, (7.62x51mm) a fine cartridge. It does not have the recoil that the 30-06 does, and it is more than adequate for deer size creatures. It is also available in many different bullet weights which can be used in a variety of situations.