What Are Your Survival Skills?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Canadian, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Hunting, Trapping, and Fishing.

59.6%
  2. Medical Practitioner Or First Aid Qualification.

42.6%
  3. Repair, Mechanical, Electrical, or Construction.

63.8%
  4. Firearms & Ranged Combat.

59.6%
  5. Hand To Hand Combat.

27.7%
  6. Agriculture, Gardening and Gathering Wild Foods.

59.6%
  7. Camping & General Outdoor Living.

87.2%
  8. Food Preservation & Storage.

53.2%
  9. Animal Handling.

34.0%
  10. Communications & Electronics & Electricity Generation.

46.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

I've often wondered which survival skills are the most common and which ones are rare. Feel free to enter the skills you have on the poll. It'll be interesting to see what our strengths and weaknesses are as a group. What skills do you have to contribute to a survival situation?

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

my weakest area is firearms, but I have a bit of experience

I feel conceited checking all of them, but... I also have the feeling many people, especially on this board, will also check them all

3. MaryV

MaryV Well-Known Member

the only thing I could even think to check is food storage, i dont have any skills whatsoever. I wish I had a husband who could take care of those things for me, lol.
    the truth for me is, the only thing I can do is store food. But I will have food to eat.

4. mandiex4

mandiex4 Mom of 4

I checked some of them, but I need to improve on them allllllll!

5. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

Skill Set

I was born and raised in the city but moved to 5 acres after retiring from the Army. I am a knowledge junkie. If you are out doing something, I am apt to stop by and ask to help and pick your brains.

Anyway, my goal is for my property to be self-sustaining. I keep a list of skills I have tried. I keep an eye on Community College classes and learn by trial and error. Besides self-sufficiency, my desire is to have enough skills to barter for whatever I need, providing all my own (sustainable) raw materials for trade goods.

SKILL SET
    CHICKENS

EGGS
    CHICKS
    CHICKENS
    CHICKEN FEED
    CHICKEN TEA (Fertilizer)
    CALCIUM

GARDEN

NON HYBRID SEED
    VEGGIE PLANTS
    BERRY PLANTS
    VEGGIES (asstd)
    BERRIES (asstd)
    GRAPES
    POTATOES
    SEED POTATOES
    GREENHOUSE VEGGIES

ORCHARD

FRUIT TREES
    NUT TREES
    FRUIT
    NUTS
    ACORNS
    TREE STARTS

HOME PRODUCTION

BREAD MAKING
    COOKING
    VINEGAR
    SAUERKRAUT
    NATURAL HERBICIDES
    ROOT HORMONE
    TANNIN
    SEED SPROUTS
    YEAST
    PECTIN
    RAISINS
    DRIED FRUIT
    DRIED EGGS
    DRIED POTATOES
    YEAST
    FLOUR
    DRIED FRUIT
    DRIED VEGGIES
    ACORN FLOUR
    NUT FLOUR
    PRESSED COOKING OIL
    TEAS
    JELLY
    PECTIN
    LYE
    SOAP
    CANDLES
    CANNING
    FOOD DEHYDRATING
    JUICES (Apple, Grape)

BASIC SKILLS

SEWING
    HAIR CUTTING
    FIREWOOD
    ELECTRICAL REPAIRS
    SHOP TIME (Solar, Manual Tools)
    WOODWORKING

BASIC PRODUCTS

CHLORINE BLEACH
    LAMP OIL
    SOAP
    CANDLES
    FILTERED WATER
    WOOD TOOL HANDLES
    CHARGED BATTERIES
    POWER

NATURAL MEDICINES

VITAMIN TONICS
    VITAMIN TEAS
    HERBAL MEDICINES, LOCAL

BLACKSMITHING SKILLS

KNIFE SHARPENING
    HOES
    ADZE
    SHOVEL
    SPIKES
    AWL
    NAILS
    PUNCH
    CHISEL
    BRACKETS
    HAMMERS
    KNIVES
    MACHETES
    KITCHEN UTENSILS
    CAMPFIRE TOOLS
    HINGES/HASPS
    SCREWS
    SPEAR/ARROW POINTS
    FISH HOOKS
    GAFFS
    TRIDENTS
    FIREPLACE TOOLS
    FLINT STRIKERS
    SCREWDRIVERS

SKILLS TO LEARN

FLINT KNAPPING
    NURSING/LIFESAVING
    GUNSMITHING
    GAME DRESSING
    GLASS CUTTING (recycling)
    WELDING

DEFICIENCIES

SALT (inland)
    MEAT / FISH (limited)
    ROOT CELLAR (need to build one)
    SUGARS/HONEY
    MILK/CHEESE

IDEAS THAT ARE NOT FEASIBLE

SUGAR FROM BEETS (ONLY 3 TSP PER BEET!)
    PEANUTS (TOO COOL HERE)

Any other ideas? Not done yet!

6. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

no salt? that's what BARTER is for, buddy! :D

7. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

Salt

I have 200 lbs of salt in buckets and 200 lbs in my water softener.

Since I don't produce it from scratch, I did not put it on my list. That will be an item I would have to buy or barter for later.

I don't believe in paying and stockpiling items to barter or give away later.

Thes best barter items are excess production products.

I don't spend my pennies to stock items for someone else's lack of preparation later. If I have spare, then I will barter it.

I like snickers bars. Can't grow them here. Stock some of those for me and I will send some eggs your way when TSHTF.

8. Canadian

Hey, I posted the poll and I only checked one box.

9. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

One box?

When TSHTF there are a lot of "one boxers" I will be seeking to ally with. The lady that has canned all her life. The retired couple who have a small backyard garden patch BUT understand seed saving and carry over a few favorite varieties. A person with a good work ethic, honesty and common sense but not much else. A hunter/gatherer. A natural inventor/mechanic. A nuturer/medic.

The world was made with one boxers who specialized in one thing or another.

My kids are not as into this as I am, but each has some skills. I try to support their individual box interests. When I go, hopefully, the little boxes can figure it out together.

10. Canadian

Being a one boxer is better than being a no boxer.

11. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

I only checked four boxes as those are skills that I have developed and applied. I do not claim to know it all and as such I am always looking for ways to improve on what I know and how I apply it. Those skills which I have the most experience with are:

1. Hunting, Trapping, Fishing
    2. Hand To Hand Combat
    3. Firearms and Ranged Combat
    4. General Camping and Outdoor Living
    I have varying degrees of knowledge and skills in some of the other categories. Try to learn and apply something new at least three to four times a week.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  12. dukman

dukman Greenhorn

I really ain't that skilled.... I checked Camping and that was it :(

Most of my skills are my 2 cents.. Sometimes I can see a simpler or more efficient way to do things. My other skill I guess would be intimidation. I probably not very good at hand to hand, but at 6'4/250lbs nobody wants to mess with me :D

13. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

One Boxers

A One Boxer who is good at what they do has enough marbles rolling around to survive most static situations.

I'd love to start a local prep group of One Boxers. OB's I would guess would form, of necessity, a more cohesive group than independent bunkerheads.

14. Canadian

Being on a team is always great. I know a lot of people have a very fierce notion of doing everything on their own. It's just a lot more fun when there are other people to help out and share things with.

15. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Based on that list - I was able to click on 6 of them. I wouldn't say that I am "expert" in all 6 - but - I feel that I a fairly well-versed in them all.

First-aid - re-cert'd several times. My father has been an Industrial First-Aider for the majority of my life and has been part of the ambulance service for longer than I can remember (now retired). My mother has been in the medical field longer than I have existed (and is still in the field). I remember as a child reading medical texts and looking at pictures of burns and amputations and cuts and thinking that I was having a normal childhood. Blood - guts - gore does not faze me at all ..

Mechanical - If its broken I can normally fix it. Electronics, automotive, plumbing, electrical. I haven't done much with gas beyond propane stuff in trailers and natural-gas on my furnace.

Fighting skills - no detail provided ;)

Camping and outdoor skills - camped since I was 6 months old - and that was only because I was born in December. Camping by hammock, tent, trailer, home-made shelter - winter and summer. No problems

Food preservation & storage - you all might have seen some of my posts about cooking food and such.

Communications - got the basics down. Thought about going deeper with ham / short-wave / etc. Have communications gear that include a mobile base-station CB for off-roading.

16. Canadian

NaeKid - Good for you. I have to work on being able to tick off more than one box.

17. Expeditioner

There is a lot to be said for the team concept. Even among the various SOG units in the American Armed Forces each member has a special function with cross training in another function. To be an expert in everything is a daunting and maybe even pointless endeavor.

18. Canadian

Well I know I'm not going to medical school ever. That's one box I'll never tick off. I'm also a bit germ phobic so touching a bleeding person is a bit daunting for me.

19. Expeditioner

I have no problem with touching injured/wounded people. My skills are limited to advanced first aid training. I can suture a wound if I had to.....though the needlework is a lot to be desired. Med school is not a box that I check off either.

20. Canadian

I work for a drug addition clinic and I'm surrounded by people with Hepatitis, AIDS, and other blood diseases. So I get really paranoid about hand washing and keeping away from contaminated surfaces and of course used needles. Anytime anyone cuts themselves I stay well back. I'm just conditioned that way now.