What are you guys gonna do about fueling these vehicles?

Discussion in 'Vehicle & Transportation' started by Kiwi Will, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Kiwi Will

Kiwi Will Member

It interests me that when tshtf and these vehicles are wanted to get about on/in, how do you think you will fuel them? If a gallon/Litre of fuel is hard to get, whats the point of having a huge gas guzzling monster? A big powerful V8 is what most mens dreams are made of but in all likelihood, fuel will be difficult to get shortly after the "crash" and what fuel is about will be hugely expensive. Would it not be more savvy to have a vehicle or form of transport that moves by/on the smell of an oily rag?
    Question: how much fuel do you use now per year (in volume)? (& thats just 1 year. Surely you would agree that this new world disorder is gonna be around for the rest of our lives.
    If the fuel price became 5 times or ten times the price you buy it today, would you think that, that 5,6 or 7 Litre V8 you have still have been worth working on for all those hours & all those $ spent on its maintenance?
    Personally, I reckon that if a guy has the mechanical & engineering skills, I'd suggest the time being spent on making systems to get off the grid and making alternative basic machinery used for food production, steam generation. Im not promoting anything here but.... possibly go look at or research places like Cuba and see what they did when they lost the fuel resources after the USSR collapsed. They had hugely difficult times but now they seem to work pretty good even with the blockade.
    Just a thought
    ttfn

2. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

I guess it's a matter of the disaster.

If it's real bad and there is no fuel being generated, I'm not going anywhere anyway and my truck will stay parked.

If it's EMP related, there's plenty of fuel, but many vehicles will be disabled.

My intentions are to have a fuel reserve and a series of vehicles that just sip fuel. ATV's, UTV's, CUT's and such.

3. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I think there are people who are hoping to make biodiesel and/or alchohol fuel so they can keep driving. That would be do-able, and as long as they have or can get spare parts and tires, they'd be good to go! With all the "Dead" vehicles around, there'd be a good chance of finding parts.

The rest of us will get in good shape walking or bicycling... :)

4. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I personally burn-off between 60 and 100 litres per week regularly and have no problems burning-off 300 litres in a weekend (off-roading, hunting, camping, etc).

I also ride bicycle, roller-blade and hike and cross-country ski and snow-shoe, and paddle a canoe.

If I cannot get gas, it would bother me a little bit, but, because I have spent years riding bike already (winter and summer, in blizzards and in heat-waves) and have had a bicycle as my only form of transportation well into my late 20's, I would be very comfortable hoppin' onto a bike and keep on ridin' ..

5. kbamvakais

kbamvakais Well-Known Member

O o gotta chime in here , I dont think most of us smarter prepers are gonna rely on our vehicles for an indefinite time mine is to get to my bol with the most supplies I can carry and that's it so a full tank in it at all time plus a few jerry cans of fuel and I got that covered and then some, the only viable option for long term usage is like mentioned above biofuel. Which I am looking in too currently for the old Eagle.

6. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

7. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Just got my motorcycle learners permit today. They get great fuel economy. I also have 10-5 gallon gas cans that I keep full and rotate on a regular basis. I like the idea of having a barrel of gas around.

8. NaeKid

I've been riding for years, but, always off-road :ignore:

Tomorrow I write my learners for motorcycle. I spent all night doing the online motorcycle tests and I feel that I am ready to pass that one .. :sssh:

9. Diego2112

Diego2112 Well-Known Member

I dont trust my car to get me from point A to point B NOW, let alone when the :SHTF:! :eek:

My plan is to get as far as I can by car (run it dry, syphon from dead cars, keep running till I cant run it no more), then ditch it, and set the :ignore: on FIRE :)2thumb:), continue on on foot/bike.

10. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

What are you guys gonna do about fueling these vehicles?

We have enough fuel stored, that if used conservatively, could last us about 2 years but that fuel is meant for running the equipment used for food production. This would mean not running the vehicles unless absolutely necessary. For everyday travel, if there would be such a thing, we have the horses, donkeys and bicycles.

11. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

It is hard to believe that somebody in a PAW won't find a way to make motor fuel, big industry already has everybody convinced that they need to make bio diesel (big scam) instead of heating the higher viscosity oil(s) and using it instead of relying on industy to provide chemicals.
    A larger high capacity vehicle would allow more capacity on salvage runs afterwards
    The fuels that are stashed may last thru the "fall" but those who survive to live on will need to fuel them selves because machines will definately lighten the load :scratch

12. Kiwi Will

Kiwi Will Member

Now that is a wise set up! Good on you Uncle Joe

13. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

there are a few start-ups working on human-powered road vehicles that can reach highway speeds, haven't had the op to see any up close, but I'm guessing kinetic/potential storage is involved (flywheels, springs etc)

14. oraltool

oraltool Member

For those of us who live in a more populated area storing gas is a tough one. I live in a city 250,000 and don't really have the room to store enough to be even able to function. I have a 50 gal. drum ised for chemical sprayers and a hand pump but 50 gal is like a spit in th ocean of need. I see this as a big hurdle to over come. I realize we would not be going to far from where we are now but it would be nice to be able to get out. This is a BIG problem that needs to be solved for all who are left after the SHTF.

15. longtime

longtime Well-Known Member

I burn CNG in two vehicles (79 Bronco and 98 Contour)and have a gas well with a compressor. If I stay put, I don't see a problem.

I also have a 300 Gal. gas tank, keep all my vehicles full (additional 140 gal.) and my best milage car gets around 40 mpg (not the CNG fueled car).

Not real worried.

16. Desertrat1

Desertrat1 Experienced Old Guy

Fueling

My answer is a layered approach. My wife has a 3/4 ton Suburban 4X4 with a 44 gallon tank I have a Ram 1500 4X4 with a 25 gallon tank we will haul a trailer with a quad and two dirt bikes with us as well as all our gear. So if we travel 100 miles to our Bug Out Location we will have fuel, not including the three 5 gallon Nalgene fuel bottles, of about 50 gallons. The bikes and the quad will go about 100 miles per tank full. So if the fuel is used wisely we will have about 3000 miles of fuel once on-site. That will give us serious mobility and still be efficient.

17. Kiwi Will

Kiwi Will Member

It surprises me most folks are thinking that when the shtf, it will be only a short period of time that difficult times will be needing to put up with.
    I personally think that it will be pretty well a permanently changed way of life where there will be a tremendously difficult time for many. I could imagine that what fuel supplies still available (as in diesel and petrol,) gangs or hench-men will take control of it or if still or while the so called LAW is still ruling the slaves, limitations will be put on its use. I imagine essential services Fire, ambulance, Blue and green/brown gangs (Police, Army) and agriculture (for the production of food) will take the major share of it. I believe we need to consider more long term solutions and more eco friendly ones. The fact is we will not be able to travel as we have been for the last 70 odd years. This will be a hard alteration to us baby boomers who have had such freedom, but we have to deal with it the best way we can!

18. NaeKid

Kiwi Will I totally agree that life will change if the SHTF in a bad way. But, at the same time, it could become a good thing! Just imagine all the "healthy" people that are riding bicycles, walking instead of driving everywhere. Just imagine the food being grown in our own backyards in the cities instead of having it shipped in from half-way around the world!

Ya, I can't grow bananas in my backyard (I love bananas) and I will miss them, but, I can grow apples, and, apples are also good!

The changes could become a good thing, but, people will need to be willing to work within the new world instead of trying to hold onto the old one that has passed.

19. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

That is absolutely the best and most sensible prep statement I have ever seen.

20. ed12371

ed12371 Newbie

Fuel Concerns

I have brought a Toyota Hi lux 4x4 Sr5. I added a long range tank, which holds 128 litres and have had it converted to gas as well.

So multiply supplies of fuel. Personally, I think of the vehicle as a medium to get my family from where I am now to the safest place I would need to be.

Also, to go back into a (still is/used to be) highly populated area to get supplies (if necessary), others wise it will just sit at the camp site.

If you did have to move around vast distances then there are plenty of fuel stations (occupied or unoccupied?) floating around.

After that if fuel runs out and cannot be re-supplied, then the **** has truly HTF and fuel will obsolete.

I think I like the horse idea, not sure where I'd get one :scratch.