Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my youngest daughter is also the daughter most likely to end up being an assassin of some kind (or possibly follow in my footsteps). She loves shooting, studies Hapkido, is pretty much fearless, and thinks of herself as a small female ninja. More than once I have seen the pint sized Chuck Norris wannabe take down an older sibling with a sneak attack. Well last week in school her class was asked to draw a picture of what they are looking forward to doing this summer. Apparently my daughter drew a picture of her shooting a rifle and wrote something like "My Dad and I are going to shoot lots of bullets". I know this because my daughter came home all excited to tell me about it. She made sure to point out that the stock on the gun she drew is brown because "pink stocks are condescending" (<- she got that from her Mom and not me BTW).

The very next day her teacher sent an email to my wife asking if she could talk to her when she came to pick up our daughter from school. But when my wife arrived the teacher simply said "Oh nevermind, sorry if I inconvenienced you". My wife pressed the issue and the teacher said "It was a mistake, no worries". When we checked our daughters school folder there was no picture in it. So the next day my wife asked the teacher for the picture. The teacher looked nervous and eventually admitted that she gave the picture to the principal because she was concerned about it. She said the principal was concerned too, right up until she found out the name of the girl who drew it. Then the principal allegedly said "Oh, just drop it". The teacher seemed aloof as to why, but did as she was told.

Today I sent my daughter to school wearing the shirt down below. Wanted to make sure the teacher knew why the principal told her to drop it. Because yes, I am "that parent". The picture came home in her folder today too and is now hanging in my gun room. Not one word about the shirt. Apparently even the school system is capable of learning. Took me sending 5 kids to that school ahead of her to get to this place however. The path for her little brother should be nice and clear.

·
Internet Princess
2,809 Posts
I love it! She would have been expelled and the school would have demanded a psyc eval if she was here.

·
timmie
1,015 Posts
i guess for the next year i have a one track mind. i intend on working all i can ,because all my overtime is going directly to principal only to pay our farm off. that is my number one priority, i,ll let you guys have all the fun. lol

·
Winston Smith Sent Me
4,996 Posts
Thats just a wonderful story Sentry. Congrats on raising a fine daughter and keeping the school system in their place.

·
Internet Princess
2,809 Posts
I hope to spend as much time up in the mountains as I can. I need to lay out the barn and garden area after we put the new roof on the house. I have temporary pens set up for the goats but they are outside our bedroom so we can hear them at night in case of predators but I'm not having a buck in rut outside my bedroom window. No way! Those pens aren't staying where they are.

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
My oldest Grand Daughter is coming to visit this summer. We are getting her swimming lessons and will do some site seeing. Tombstone OK corral, sand dunes by Yuma, Stop and visit a Windmill farm, stop at a solar farm, stop at San Diego to meet her new cousins, my other grand daughter, grand son, and son. The to Sacramento to meet other grand daughter, grand son and youngest son. Then to the coast to visit beaches, travel up highway one and stop at the redwoods and visit Paul Bunyan. From there back into Oregon and her home.

The following summer it is the Grand Canyon and the shooting range, after she selects her own rifle. I want her to be 10 before I take her to a range and introduce her to firearms. I don't know what her mothers stance on firearms is but my grand daughter is going to learn gun safety and ow to load and shoot. I would rather ask for forgivenance than ask for permission. The deed will be done.

Sentry, good job on your daughter and the school. I think my oldest granddaughter is going to be like your daughter. My grand daughter is an independent "I do It" girl. All ways ready to try just about anything and wants to learn everything and then do it herself.

·
Watching the world self-destruct!
3,044 Posts
i guess for the next year i have a one track mind. i intend on working all i can ,because all my overtime is going directly to principal only to pay our farm off. that is my number one priority, i,ll let you guys have all the fun. lol
Hey, when your "mortgage burning ceremony" rolls around, that'll be really a "fun time!!" :2thumb::beercheer:

·
3,044 Posts
Tmttactical...."Tombstone"

Try not to slither down the Tombstone graveyard hill too fast! Boot Hill is right on 80 just NW of town. Check out the "Old Hot Rods" showcase, too! (Corner of N. 6th St. & E. Freemont St.) Going Northwest from Tombstone, on 80, just South of St. David, there's a Monastery (Trinity Monastery) you might want to check out, it's almost to Benson....if you're into that kind of thing. Have a good trip....pretty nice down there! :2thumb::beercheer:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Terri...if you're spending time in the Sandias, give me a call.

Our school is open year round, so I'll be working as usual this summer. But we will take a couple trips to our farm and family in Kansas. Will be doing more dutch oven cooking. Will be doing more outside work. Checking sales for produce in season at good prices and dehydrating and canning away.

·
Dogs breath
2,597 Posts
What are you going to do this summer?

AS little as possible.

:peep:

Jim

·
Internet Princess
2,809 Posts
Terri...if you're spending time in the Sandias, give me a call.

Our school is open year round, so I'll be working as usual this summer. But we will take a couple trips to our farm and family in Kansas. Will be doing more dutch oven cooking. Will be doing more outside work. Checking sales for produce in season at good prices and dehydrating and canning away.
Thanks for the invite. Our place isn't that far north. If we get up that way though I'll give you a holler.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I am going to have to dig the holes for the concrete footings for the solar array mounting structure, hope to get to that before the ground dries out too much. Meanwhile I'm also trying to get the garden weed whacked and have laid down some tarp to kill the weeds so it's all ready for planting after Memorial Day, after the last possible frost around here, as it is it came close to frosting last night. I also have to cut up some gifted firewood that is too long for our stove and restack firewood from another pile. At least I'm close to finishing the den, just waiting for three double tube insulating blinds to come so that room is done and the TV, couch and some chairs can be put in, plenty of things to be done even before summer even gets here, that's why I call this time of year "The Tsunami of Spring.". Taking care of all the weeds before the fire season can be a huge undertaking due to the short period of time between the rains stopping and the sun drying everything out.

·
Noob
764 Posts
My high priority is building a covered structure over our rv and a small addition/ room for a wood stove. We had a water leak and some mold issues this year. So dry roof and dry heat seem like the ticket.

As for grand daughters one day the 9 year old said papa you are not a nice person. I smiled and said no I am not, but someday someone may do you wrong and you want thier legs broke. I said I am your guy. She smiled and replied what makes you think I could not just do that myself. Maybe there is something wrong with me but I am proud that she is tough and fearless.

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
My high priority is building a covered structure over our rv and a small addition/ room for a wood stove. We had a water leak and some mold issues this year. So dry roof and dry heat seem like the ticket.

As for grand daughters one day the 9 year old said papa you are not a nice person. I smiled and said no I am not, but someday someone may do you wrong and you want thier legs broke. I said I am your guy. She smiled and replied what makes you think I could not just do that myself. Maybe there is something wrong with me but I am proud that she is tough and fearless.
Your daughter and my grand daughter are going to rule over all the pitiful snowflakes. They may want to join forces with Sentry's daughter. Too early to tell about Grimm's JujU. :D Good going Jnrdesertrats. :cool:

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
Had a nice summer planned but amazing how plans change in a hurry.

The new wife(of 1 1/2 years) took a fall at work and broke her pelvis, now going to spend the summer nursing her back to health.

If you have plans, dont put them off - never know what may be in the picture for you.

·
3,044 Posts
The new wife(of 1 1/2 years) took a fall at work and broke her pelvis, now going to spend the summer nursing her back to health.
If you have plans, dont put them off - never know what may be in the picture for you.
I wish her a speedy recovery.....that ain't fun, been there, done that, and to hell with the t-shirt! Y'all take care! :wave:

·
Banned
1,962 Posts

Sorry to hear about your wife's fall. Wish her a speedy recovery.

Been there, Ex fiancee fell broke her back, spent about 1.5 years helping her recover. Steel rod inserted in spine, not much fun. You are correct, get it done as soon as possible, opportunities changes all the time.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I hope she was still under warranty. :)

Sorry to hear about her fall, I hope she recovers quickly.

·
3,044 Posts
Summer.......

Until (hopefully) the last half of July, I'll be doing the same thing as Phideaux....as little as possible....already in the upper 80's every day and the humidity is roughly 237% (OK, not really, but it sure seems that way!)....:eek:

Mid-July, through mid-August, when my brother has his "vacation," we're going to head out to my Retreat and start getting things "finalized" for when I fully "retire" and head out there permanently late next Spring or early Summer. We plan on three trips....mid-July, hopefully somewhere around late October, and then (PLEASE!!!) around late April, early May next year the "final" move will be made. Basically what we're gonna do this trip is haul in more replacement parts, spare solar panels, lumber, nails, screws, bolts/nuts, maybe a couple more bladders, work on the fences, swap out some of the MRE's (they're 5 yrs old already, sure doesn't seem that long!), make sure everything still "works" like it's supposed to. Might work on Tmt's suggestion about making some brush rows to direct traffic, if there ever IS any traffic if the shtf. I've never SEEN any sign of anyone else being there in 25 years, but I don't know how many "Indians" there might be back in those mountains, either!!

Pretty much the same thing for the October/November trip....fences are gonna be the biggie. Can't fence in the whole damn valley, but I figure on getting at least a couple hundred acres fenced in....mostly to keep the dogs from wandering off never to be seen again. Fence won't keep anyone OUT, but hopefully will keep the dogs IN!! Already have most of the other fencing done for the chickens, goats, still contemplating the "pig thing." Would take hog fencing for that, and I have to do some research on pigs, period, and what the best way is to fence 'em in, and what kind of shelter they'd need in the winter. Don't get all that much snow there, but it does get mighty cold. October trip will probably result in a couple more "sheds" and rolls of insulation being hauled in...can't have too many sheds!

Other than that....I hope to be just plain lazy for the summer. Damn humidity here here just sucks all the life outta ya!:wave::wave:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts