Well this sucks

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by catsraven, Feb 7, 2011.

1. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

We had a power outage on Tuesday and it fried my desk top :gaah:. I had to get my laptop from my mother. So needless to say I lost all of my Bookmarks, and pdfs. I have been going through trying to fined everything but its been hard to remember where I got a lot of them GRRRRRRRRRRR

2. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

What is fried? If it's just the system, your hard drive might still be fully intact with all data on it. Using an external adapter you could connect the hard drive via USB to the laptop and see if it comes up. If so, then simply copy off the data that you want/need. Now, if the drive itself is zapped, it might still be recoverable but it becomes more difficult. You need to find the exact same make/model/version of drive and swap circuit boards. With most newer drives it's just a few screws and they lift right off. Put the working board on the bad drive and connect it up.

Using both of the above techniques I've been able to recover data most of the time. Only had 2 drives that had failed at the platter level and would need very expensive professional services (clean room, etc.)... which wasn't worth it to me.

If you want to try yourself, and it's an older IDE drive something like Newegg.com - VANTEC Nexstar 3 NST-360U2-BL Aluminum 3.5" USB 2.0 External Enclosure should work just fine or for a SATA style drive Newegg.com - VANTEC NST-300S2-BK Aluminum 3.5" Black USB 2.0 External Enclosure.

If you're not comfortable with this, find a local computer person to help. Worst case, you're out $30, best case you get all your data back and you can keep the drive in the external adapter and use it for future backups of your data.

3. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

The past tense of fry ie will not turn on. Thanks for the info.

4. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Wow, what a bummer! :cry: Hopefully you can recover your files. If you're not computer-geeky, there are places you can take them and they'll do it for you. My daughter had to do that when her computer died a couple years ago. She had pictures and other things stored on it that she wanted.

Good luck!

5. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

If you are lucky it is just a power supply.
    If you are not lucky it's a mother board.
    I see the IS guys changing mother boards every week so cross your fingers.
    I have tried to convince the IS manager that a UPS or surge protector is the way to go but all he says is "I'll look into that" and never does.
    I might have a power supply and motherboard if you need it.
    Depends on how old your system is.
    I have a lot of old computer stuff.
    PM me the details.

6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

We are in the same boat ...:gaah: ... my laptop went out also.

7. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

A couple weeks ago we caught a virus and had to have our computer "wiped and reloaded". Several of us have learned here lately how fragile our connection to cyberworld really can be.

8. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Since nobody else has mentioned it, may I propose you get an external drive and backup your computer to that every once in awhile? If your computer crashes, you can restore from that drive or at least get your personal info back. To go one step further, get 2 of them and keep one off-site. If my house burns, at least I won't loose all my personal data. I just keep that off-site in a remote building on the property.

9. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Thanks for all of the advice, but I am going to take it to the computer guy down the road. Im just not comfortable taking it apart.

10. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Check with your electrical utility company - they might have insurance to cover the repairs / replacement of your computer due to the power-outtage - but - only as long as you have some kind of surge-rated powerbar between the wall and the computer itself.

As far as the data, it should be fully accessable through the use of an external HDD enclosure as CulexPipiens has linked for you (I have several HDD's loaded into external enclosures, they work perfectly!).

11. CulexPipiens

As stated... "won't turn on" is almost guaranteed to be either a failed Power Supply or a Motherboard. Which, while it sucks, is good for you since the drive should still be intact with your data on it. Any competent computer person should have no problem removing the drive and accessing it... or replacing the bad part(s) and bringing the machine back to life. For me it would depend on the cost... then again since I'm in the computer field my only cost is parts.

@Andi... same applies to laptops. As long as the drive hasn't failed you just need to get it out of the machine and connect it to an external adapter and you should be able to bring it up on another PC.

@ everyone Also, as previously stated, backups are something you should always do. On the low end, get a USB memory stick 8GB or 16GB sticks are pretty cheap (again, look at NewEgg.com) and work well for manual backup. Copy your critical data to the stick. If you have private data (copies of documents, etc.) you can use a free program called TrueCrypt TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux to make a "container" on the memory stick that is encrypted. When you access that container using TrueCrypt it makes the container show up like a new drive where you can then copy your secret stuff. Without the password the container looks like a file full of garbage data to anyone else looking at it. Using this method I am able to put all my links/urls/favorites/bookmarks and my other documents on to a memory stick and keep it with me at all times and I don't have to worry about losing it as the data would be inaccessible to anyone else looking at it.

If your data needs are low, mainly just PDFs, a few misc docs and such, then the memory stick would probably be sufficient. For larger amounts of data (digital photos, music, lots and lots of documents, etc.) then a memory stick will become too expensive to be a valid option.

For a larger amount of data, then you would go with an external drive. Many free backup programs are available to help automate the process or you can use what Windows or Mac provides too as, even though they are basic, they do work just fine. Paragon offers a free version of their backup software if you want to consider other apps. External drives, again at Newegg.com, are very cheap. I've seen external terrabyte (1000GB) drives for around $90. Once you do start backing up your machine be sure to NOT leave the backup drive sitting there next to it. In the event of fire or theft you can lose both the machine and the backup. Instead, connect the backup drive every so often (maybe once a month or once a week), backup your data and then put the drive away somewhere else. A fire safe is one option.

If you're really concerned about the data and have someone you can trust, then perhaps you each buy 2 drives. You each backup your data and give the drive to the other person to hold it. Then at the next backup time, backup to the second drive and swap it with your first drive. This way you always have a copy at an "off site" location plus a slightly older copy at your location.

12. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Culex,

I use a "simple" back-up program to back-up my mission-critical-data to portable HDD (Hard Disk Drive) through the use of Everyday Auto Backup software. I use it to keep my IE-favorites, MyDocuments (pictures, music, video), my AutoCAD .dwg files and other files that I created / saved safe.

It is just a pure-copy without deletion of old files, so a person needs to be checking the files on the backup drive regularly to make sure that the garbage that isn't needed anymore is deleted manually.

From my backup HDD I will then burn a data-DVD of the information as secondary back-up which is then stored in a fireproof safe.

13. CulexPipiens

Thanks! I checked the web page. Looks like a good general purpose program. I could post a whole list of more advanced ones but for someone not doing anything this alone would be a big leap forward. Your storage of a DVD with a copy of the backup is also a good practice. Doesn't take much room and gives you yet another copy plus it's easy to store almost anywhere.