Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Thursday, the Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously approved a bill that would give the Attorney General the right to shut down websites with a court order if copyright infringement is deemed "central to the activity" of the site - regardless if the website has actually committed a crime. The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) is among the most draconian laws ever considered to combat digital piracy, and contains what some have called the "nuclear option," which would essentially allow the Attorney General to turn suspected websites "off."

I do not believe that giving the federal government the right to shut down websites at will based upon a vague and arbitrary standard of evidence, even if no law-breaking has been proved, is a particularly good idea. COICA must still be approved by the full House and Senate before becoming law. The only good news is a vote is unlikely before the new year & it will be quashed in The House.

I put this in Quiet Time because I am requesting that all trusted members be given the numerical IP of this site.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Yes, it's scary when they're allowed to shut down a site on theory instead of evidence of law-breaking. Who's next? Sites that 'might' be anti-government, religious, etc.?

Let's hope congress has more sense.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Right now, the servers running PS are physically in Texas. Even if the servers (and connection) were moved to Canada, that bill will allow your government to "break" the connection so that my neighbors in the south would not be able to see PS (if the government deems PS to be against their agenda) ...

Kinda crazy, eh? :gaah:

·
Registered
638 Posts
We will lose all forms of free speech soon enough, they have been choppin at the bit for this since the net went world wide. :mad: For our own good of course, bu** s*** i says. :nuts:

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right now, the servers running PS are physically in Texas. Even if the servers (and connection) were moved to Canada, that bill will allow your government to "break" the connection so that my neighbors in the south would not be able to see PS (if the government deems PS to be against their agenda) ...

Kinda crazy, eh? :gaah:
216.166.0.68 only takes me to the Austin servers :gaah: idk how to find PS from there :gaah:

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
PS is located in a server-farm hosting the whole family of forums that you see listed at the very bottom of the page .. including our first forum (JeepForum.com) followed by our Guns-n-Ammo forum (FireArmsTalk.com), bicycle forum (TwoSpoke.com) ... etc.

The IP address of PS just takes you to the host-site and based on the IRL (Internet Resource Locator - the name) it will bring up this site or one of the other ones in the farm ...

I would have to have a dedicated server with a dedicated IP address to get around this ... costs are prohibitive of that, which means that PS would become a pay-site of information instead of a being a free-site ..

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Web Censorship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WEB CENSORSHIP??????????????... shit !! does this mean I can't say shit anymore??????????... damn that sucks!!!...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts