Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the excuse, I had to order some Oxy absorbers. Ok, I dragged my rear on sealing up my dried grains and now I have weavels. How do I get rid of them out of the food? I read somewhere to put the food in the freezer to kill em off, but won't the grain sweat & mold when I take it out of the freezer? I don't have room in the freezer to store it all long term. I did finish sealing the mylar bags with the absorbers but it's kinda late for that now. Anyone have advice or experience with this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

I appreciate everyone's help. I found the initial culpret, an offending 1 lb bag of barley and it's unfortunate storage companions are in the garbage. The items I'm trying to save don't appear to be super infested yet but I did find some in there.

Would you still eat these grains, after being washed & cooked of course. My thinking is that we probably eat more of these critters in precooked foods than we care to consider.

I was also told to use dry ice to kill them off. Anyone know how I would use that? Do I purge the excess air & seal the mylar bags after dropping in the ice? Do I still use an oxy absorber with the dry ice? I'm going to use some of that DE around the house, but is it safe to put in the actual food? I understand it's not a poison but wonder if it would cause stomach troubles if ingested in quantity.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top