Weather May 2011

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by *Andi, May 1, 2011.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Day time temps in the 70s ... night time temps in the upper 40s. clear for the next few days till the next line of storms. (which I hope are not like the last.)

2. fonts

fonts Member

...coldest spring I can remember here on the North Coast...trout season opened yesterday, but there's still snow down on the riverbanks :mad: ...

...sick and tired of freezing and scrounging through the depleted wood pile :( ...

...oh well, say a prayer for warm weather :D ...

3. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Had a hail storm at 3 AM. Its cold. in the 50s. Its going down into the low 40s maybe high 30s tonight.

4. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Rained most of the afternoon...again. :( Cool and clammy now. Had to start a fire for the overnight hours.

5. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Apparently my bug-out location is going to be an ark.
    And apparently I'll be forced to bug out to said ark shortly.

It's raining again. With no plans to stop until Tuesday evening (briefly, before it starts up again). The ground is so saturated, there's just nowhere for the water to go. We just had the wettest month ever on record. I keep reminding myself I'm going to miss all this rain come July...

6. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Gee, goshen, I thought for a minute I wrote your post! It pretty well sums up the conditions here! :D Third year in a row with a cold, wet spring.

May came in like a lion, with alternating rain and snow. It's 27 this morning. Sigh... :dunno:

7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Heavy rain, HAIL :gaah:, strong wind ... weather for tonight ... and a Frost warning for the mountains and some of the foot hills ... :scratch ...

Whoa!

8. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

Are you ok? You are really going to have to leave your home?

Please keep us posted...praying!

9. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Yes, Dana, we're okay. (And your sweetness truly touches me.)
    While we are really saturated here, we're blessed that our home is situated well and the creek on our property is small with deep ravines . The creek hasn't been small lately, but there's still a long way to go before it reaches the top fo the ravines, and even then our home is at a higher elevationj. Water is literally sitting on top of the ground everywhere around here - there truly is no place for it to go - but the previous homeowner/builder (who was a survivalist) installed a double drainage system around the foundation when he built the place, so our basement is nice and dry. If roads wash out, and they may, we'll be able to hunker down at home with our food storage. :) My only concern is that everyone be at home when the roads was out. ;)

Within my extended family, it is only my folks that I'm concerned about - they have a creek that can flood and isolate them in their home (it has before) - and they don't prep. My DH has them well-stocked with firewood, so if they can't get an oil delivery (their heat is oil), they'll still be able to keep warm around the fireplace in the evening. And I'm bringing my mom some food items today - she's open to prepping, even though she doesn't do it herself. I'll feel a lot better about them once they have some food stocked away.

Thank you so much for your concern. I feel a little sheepish, because I was being sarcastic when I made that post. I should not be sarcastic, because it's a very real problem for our community and surrounding communities - we haven't lost a bridge yet, but many are closed as a precaution.

As of about noon today, we're in for 36 to 48 hours of no rain, and we need that. :)

10. Kai22

Kai22 Well-Known Member

same here!! My little fishing lake won't be accessible until at least the end of June.

ah yes...depleted woodpile here too. :eek:

11. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I had to split some more. We're usually done burning by early to mid April. It's that global warming rearing it's ugly head again. :rolleyes:

12. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

well..it is getting very hot here in Alabama.

farmers are almost finished planting, should be harvesting canola and wheat pretty soon, it is getting humid..

I hope that we are not in for more bad weather. I haven't been watching the weather forecast lately.

13. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

We are 'normal' ???

Day time temps warming up and night time temps - nice ... With a fan ...

Garden coming on and summer is well on the way. :flower:

14. StrayDog

StrayDog ExCommunicated

At the beginning of May we were about 9 inches up on rain. Today was nice and sunny as was yesterday. Weekend is not looking good but we don't usually plant most things here until near the end of the month. Some do and protect them in various fashion but typically its best shooting for the end of the month. Being nearer the lake we usually avoid frost though so you may get lucky but since it is still so wet I doubt that it will suit most people now and into that late part of the month. Just can't get on the ground to work it in most places.

15. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

We're having yo-yo weather...75 one day, 45 the next! :D

16. StrayDog

StrayDog ExCommunicated

Same here as well. :dunno:

17. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Yay! *bounce, bounce, bounce!* The last of our snow is gone! It was on the north side of our barn where a bunch had slid off the roof and piled up, and it's finally gone! Woo-hoo! Yesterday there was still a dirty little glacier of dwindling snow, and today it's gone! All that's left is what we're admiring up on the mountains above us now! Time to open a bottle of something to celebrate! :D

18. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

We are stuck in a rain patteren ... last few days was 50/50 chance. Now it looks like that patteren will hold for the next 5 days.

:beercheer: gypsysue! :D

19. ajsmith

ajsmith Well-Known Member

It's been nice for us the last couple days but started raining mid day today and now four counties are under flood warnings. :(

20. fonts

fonts Member

...well, we got 2 days of 70s, and the morels started popping...but now back to 'good March weather'; 50s but at least today it's sunny...

...the river's too 'noisy' yet for a walleye attempt...unless I tie a boat anchor to my jig ha ha ha...