Weather Feb. 2011

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by *Andi, Jan 31, 2011.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

per a request ... :D ...

Looks like February is going to come in with lots of fun ... Snow, Ice and rain ... with some nasty thunderstorms in the mix.

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Yeah but now it feels like we're heading towards spring. The days are getting longer and the average daily temps are rising. :2thumb:

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Winter is nice ... but I'm ready for spring! :2thumb:

4. Turner

Turner Member

well its 7 am in nebraska... 8 inches of snow, 1.5 inches of ice, and negative 30 outside ( with windchill)

5. UncleJoe

Hey, that's springtime in Canada. Just ask Naekid. :)

6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

negative 30 outside with 1.5 of Ice ... :eek::eek: Toss a few more logs on the fire. I hope you don't have anywhere to go today.

7. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Minus 18 this morning and sunny here. Trying to blow this toward UncleJoe!

Not really. Bad me.

Supposed to warm back up into the 30s by tomorrow. I think we're over the hump now and we won't have much of this zero stuff the rest of the winter.

8. UncleJoe

You're such a sweetheart. :kiss:
    I think I'll put a few snowballs in the freezer so I have something to throw at you when you head east this summer. :D

9. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Clouds and 58 right now ... high today around 64. :D

10. UncleJoe

1/2 inch of ice on everything. Tree limbs breaking. A few power lines down. 25,000 people without power but we're OK.

Did I mention I HATE ICE!

11. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

Hope the ice doesn't wreak too much havoc , here in the great white northwest we are forecast above freezing temperatures and a breeze out of the west for quite a few days. (I think the inteligence vaccum in both countries capitals sucks in this bad weather)

Note: Indicates hushed cospiritorial tone

12. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

Punxsutawney Rat says that Spring is just around the corner...

Data from the Stormfax Almanac's data shows that Phil's six-week prognostications have been correct 39 percent of the time.

Phil does even worse when you check his performance against actual weather outcomes since 1969, when the accuracy of weather records is less in question, from 1969 to today, Phil's overall accuracy rate drops to 36 percent.

that is why you SHOOT groundhogs, not feed them

13. efbjr

efbjr Well-Known Member

Another (2) storms...

Here in RI we are in day 2 of storms! 6 inches of snow yesterday (storm 1), and snow, sleet, freezing rain today (storm 2). This makes 5 storms in the last 5 weeks! :cry: I've had it :surrender:

14. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

That's okay, I'll stand behind MMM! :D

10 below and clear as can be, here in NW Montana.

Funny...we're getting ready to "snowbird" to southern Nevada for a couple months, and here's the dilema. It's too cold to feel like packing, but if we don't pack, we won't get out of the cold! :dunno: :scratch

15. tortminder

tortminder Well-Known Member

Reporting in from Northern C(r)ook county in Illinois. 19+" of snow on the ground. Drifts of up to 7 feet, (wind steady at between 40MPH-70MPH... it's gonna be interesting trying to get out the doors to start shoveling out).

Lake Shore drive, (limited access road along Chicago's lake front) had drivers stranded over night, (up to 6 hours, some drivers ran out of gas). Road is closed and will probably remain so until Friday. County Government is shut down due to snow emergency, (Yay! They can't screw us if they aren't in session), same story for State of Illinois government. Public transportation either down or on very limited schedules, it'll be interesting to see what the recently acquired 4 wheeler will do when I attempt to get out later today.

Just a few observations;
    1) People are STUPID. The media has been beating the drum about this storm coming in since last week, but the sheep waited until yesterday to try to buy bread, milk or fill up with gas.

2) People are STUPID. The local media is breathlessly reporting about folks being stranded in their cars, vehicles run off the roads in ditches, all the usual stuff that happens during blizzards. Well, DUH! It's winter, it's a blizzard, what the hell else would you expect.

3) People are STUPID. There are also reports of middle aged men suffering heart attacks from overdoing shoveling. Let's see, I'm 55, 100lb. overweight and for the last 10 years my exercise of choice is clicking the TV remote, so I think I'll go out and try to shovel out of a 7 foot snow drift in 15 minutes.

4) And, did I mention, people are STUPID?

Looks like a good opportunity to utilize some of my preps, sit back and feel somewhat smug about being prepared.:D

16. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Here in Pittsburgh, it missed us completely. It rained very lightly all night last night. It was 39° when I woke up at 4:45AM this morning. Dropped below freezing through the day so it's slippery out now due to the wet ground refreezing but the roads are ok. I'm not complaining one bit. we got lucky on this one.

17. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Here in Doral (Miami) is is currently 76 degrees and sunny, with a high reaching 80 this weekend. :D

18. UncleJoe

May your citrus crop wither away in heat and drought. :smilieimg:

19. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Hmph. Probably muggy and humid... :p

20. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

That's just wrong. :p