Weapons..etc

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by crikey, Sep 23, 2010.

1. crikey

crikey Member

I know a lot of preppers have a gun or two laying around "just in case"...some more than others. The question revolves around what gun would you choose if you had to bug out and only take one with you until you got to your safety site?

For the sake of consistency, here is the situation. Your 500 miles from your safe site...if your safe site is your home then your on vacation, no matter what, your 500 miles from home. All electric is out. (lets assume an EMP) and cells are dead. Assuming an EMP, you also have to assume the MAJORITY of the vehicles on the road are also dead as an EMP will kill the computer. You bought, stole, borrowed a bug out bag which consist of a backpack with minimal gear. Assume you cannot find a vehicle to steal for the time being and you are going to need a weapon for protection while you travel and possibly for food.

I know this is a stretch but lets also assume its January so weather will also play an issue. Its been 10 days since a serious situation has occored and people are now past the point of waiting for the government to help...its mass hysteria...the roads are loaded and backed-up making travel that much harder. There are, potentially, roving bands of people who are starved and although cannibalism is a stretch, people are not above robbing others for whatever they can get.

What one weapon do you carry and why? It could take you close to a month to get to your safe site so weight COULD play a factor...ammo will also play a major factor. Shotgun with slugs? Semi-auto? handgun? deer rifle? Play along folks...its simply an exercise to get the brain going and thinking.

2. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Ruger 10/22. It's a .22 semi with large capacity clips available. IMHO one of the best modern weapons out there for the prepper. Being a .22 you could carry a couple of thousand rounds easily, but being a .22 you'd just have to place your shot carefully.

3. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

12 gauge pump shotgun. Simple, reliable, and the ammo is widely available. With proper care, you can carry a range of ammo to cover many different situations and type of game. Also has excellent intimidation ability. Few will argue with you while staring down the huge muzzle of a shotty! ;)

4. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

2 solid answers already.

Hmmmm, I was thinking of a Ruger GP-100 (.357). If I had to go 500 miles, I'm sure there's going to be many situations where you don't want a long-gun to be seen.

BTW, under your scenario, I wouldn't attempt a 500 mile trek. I'd say your likelihood of making it would be much less then holing up someplace closer. At minimum, I'd wait until all the rioting was over, the roving bands have their fill and the weather was more commensurate to living in the woods.

5. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

I pray this situation never arrises, but should it, I would want my sawed off shotgun. I would also want a large knife.

6. crikey

crikey Member

I would also take a shotgun...although a .22 would be a close 2nd. Reasons....
    ammo availability for a 12 gauge,
    reliability,
    large shot pattern
    knockdown power,
    can hunt deer and small game with the same gun depending on what ammo used.
    Its also the gun most likely not to get you in trouble. If you look like your just out hunting, then your just out hunting. I would use my Benelli M2 with 26 inch barrell. Reliable, light (for a shot gun), handles all loads up to 3 inch, did I mention reliable?

7. crikey

crikey Member

your correct sir..I would not attempt that distance hike either but for the sake of getting responses...I went with the worst possible situation I could think of with varied possibilities. More than likely, in a real situation where you have to get home, it would be a more localized disaster. Flood, hurricane, winter storm, that just shut down the area. Once you were out of that area, you would, more than likely, be OK.

8. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

There've been some good points made on the effectiveness of a shotgun for intimidation, self-defense and hunting but my shotguns stay at home. The two major problems with a shotgun are long range effectiveness (they are reliable out to about 70 yards maximum) and size and weight of ammo. On a 500 mile trek in hostile territory you're going to want enough ammo to last to the end (of the trek ... not the end of your life).

We head south in the winter and our "head for home kit" for when the vehicles fail or travelling by road is totally unsafe or impossible include mountain bikes and a 22 rifle, two 357 magnum handguns, and a 223 bolt rifle. We plan on having about 50 rounds each for the 357's, 500 rounds for the 22 and 100 rounds for the 223. 500 rounds of 22 rimfire ammo or 100 rounds of 223 ammo will weigh about the same as 25 rounds of shotgun ammo. Even a 22 rimfire has more range than a shotgun and the 223 will really reach out there. Both rifles are much more accurate than a shotgun. Either rifle wieghs less than any shotgun except maybe a single shot.

That's two of us travelling approximately 1,000 miles home. The gear on the bikes will be in bike saddlebags and we'll each have backpacks if it should it get to the point where bicycles won't work.

In my mind the key to firearms for this thread is the 500 miles of travel without a vehicle. If it was just one person I'd opt for the 22 rimfire. One 22rifle, one 22 handgun. Only one firearm? It would be the 22 rifle. I'd also have a box of (50 rnds.) 22 sub-sonic ammo for hunting when noise was a factor.

Don't forget that you can also get an adapter to shoot 22 rimfire ammo out of a 223.

9. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

As for me....

Like MMM, when I travel... well no, when I climb into my truck, in the steel lock box I carry as a rule, a 10-22 , an AR 15 ( both set up and with Cans) I carry my AK 47 and usually either a 223 or 308 Bolt gun , both also set up for cans and "ALWAYS" a shotgun.. my main 12 ga is a Seiga 12 semi auto with 10 round mags.. it's in fact a AK 12 ga... I always have 2 45 ACP's with me.

I carry a heavy load of ammo always.. but understand please that I shoot 3 gun competitions and never know when I'll run across one...

If I had to abandon my rig I'd stash all the gear and IF.. I could only grab one weapon it will be my AK 47, my combat vest will hold 6 mags and I have a double mag set for in the rifle.. 8 X 30 = 240 rnds ready to go.. BUT I would cheat and take my 22 pistol which uses the same can as my 10-22...

Heavy load? yes and I would not walk 500 miles, I would head across country looking for a friendly horse... I do carry in my bob some rope to make a bridle, bareback ain't fun but walking 500 miles ain't either... my entire bug out plan is based on if I have to leave my truck I can and will find a horse.. I carry fencing pliers and that's how I've planned for over 40 years if I had to leave my wheels..

This is something I've thought about and planned for since I became aware of the coming SHTF... and it will come, maybe not in my life time but it will come...

If I'm dead and gone then my preps will have been shared among the children of my closest friends on the assumption that a lot of the stuff I have will not be available to them.. It gives me a big smile thinking some A$$hole will get his crap blown away 50 years from now because I did what I've done now...

One thing I need to prep for is a partner..since my Lady died it's lonely out here...and it's good to have somebody covering your 6...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  10. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

500 miles = 800 km's

That is an 8hr drive by vehicle or the distance from my place in Alberta to my grandparent's place in BC. That would translate to about 6 1/2 days of walking (according to GoogleMaps).

I would also bicycle that route if it was spring, summer or fall. My dad has done it several times now (late spring to early fall) camping the whole way with tent-n-gear strapped to the bike. The last time he did it, I think he was 55 years old, maybe 58 ... dunno, I would have to ask him. Anyway, a bicycle would allow for the ease of carrying more weight than when I could carry on my physical body for that length-of-time.

If I am out hunting for food in the middle of winter (and travelling) where the snows can get to 24-feet-deep, X-country-skiis or snow-shoes with a nordic-sled could take the place of a bicycle if it is actually winter-time during a situation like that.

As far as weapons-of-protection, I would also go with light and portable. Folding lock-back knife, a medium-sized fixed blade of a diver's variety, a hatchet and a .22LR. There is no way that I would want to go that distance with my .303 (too big and bulky) or my 12-guage (too damn heavy). I can carry 500 rounds of .22 for about the same weight as 30 12-guage shells or 40 .303 bullets.

11. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

Clarice hit on my answer. Guns are great, but you can't build a shelter, dress an animal, cut fire wood etc with one. I'd go for a nice knife. Of course it's only useful up close, but it never needs reloading, weighs a lot less and does more jobs than a gun. It's much less likely to be confiscated at a check point during your 6 day hike.

Now if I could have two, I'd take the knife and a 12 ga. with an assortment of bird shot for small game, buck for large game/protection and a few rifles slugs to reach out a touch someone. I hear flechette rounds will go right through body armor and that could come in handy. Of course a 1 oz. slug to the chest should take any one out of the fight body armor or not. They'll have the wind knocked out of them and probably broken ribs or other internal damage.

12. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I'm in the 10/22 crowd. 4 bricks, 3-4 lbs each, 2200 rounds. That's a lot of firepower for the weight. :)

13. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

The question was, "What gun would you take?" So presumably, you could take a knife and other gear in addition to the gun.

But as for relying on a knife for self defense in a SHTF situation -- no way! First of all, you can bet that some crazies out there will have guns. You're really gonna take a knife to a gunfight?:nuts:

Secondly, there's a saying about being in a knife fight: "Know that even if you win, you're gonna get cut." So, let's say you win. The big bad guy is gutted, writhing on the ground. But guess what. You've got a slash that looks like 2 pieces of steak somewhere on you. In normal times, that's a b&tch. In SHTF times, that's fatal.

Yup. Ruger 10/22, a couple of 50 round mags and 3 or 4 bricks of ammo.

14. ajsmith

ajsmith Well-Known Member

Me to, I would take my stainless 10/22 with folding stock, six Butler Creek Hot Lips 25 round mags, and one brick of 500 rounds. Thats over 100 rounds per 100 miles, probably more than enough. I would plan on staying out of sight as much as possible, less conflicts that way.

15. mr_slow

mr_slow New Member

My main battle rifle

I would take my Smith and Wesson MP-9 pistol and my M1a/M14 rifles.I have a 590a1 Mossberg shotgun that I might throw on my pack.

16. HozayBuck

Funny thing

About shotguns... in the match's I shoot I've been around a lot of Special Forces guys as well as other Army folks, and they know very little about shotguns.. as they never trained or carried them .. where as MMM and I both being old Marines can say that the Marine have always and still to this day love the ol scattergun..and use them a lot in the sand box... wonder why that is? maybe because the Marines to this day haven't fought an enemy who signed the Geneva Convention...think?

Anyway there is little bad to be said about the shotgun.. except the ammo is heavy for the amount you can carry... and the range is short... but when used in with a squad of riflemen it has it's place...

I love the things but would still not make it my grab and run gun unless it was all I had close to hand... which it won't be because I carry a pistol always... Still...AK all the way!!!!

17. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

I'm with the 10/22's light weight, able to carry plenty of ammo and not obnoxiously loud less chance of drawing attention.

18. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

For those that have chosen the 10/22, why the Ruger as opposed to something like a Henry AR-7. I keep the latter in my BOB. At 2.5 pounds (including ammo), about 18" long when folded, waterproof and floats when collapsed... it seems like an easier .22 to carry.

19. HozayBuck

BCZoom you hit the nail!

right on the head... the op asked what you would head out with upon leaving your car during an EMP... and your answer is the right one you grabbed your BOB and took off and had your weapon of choice in your BOB..where it belongs!

I often forget that grabbing a BOB and heading out of Dodge is what most folks would do since I travel a lot and am on the road in a big truck and am able to carry a lot more then a lot of people... so I have a tendency to think "big" is better when in fact it's not if your on the run...

I look on my truck as my BOB. and I shouldn't.. I think I have a few holes in my mind set... and will start patching them...
    Thank you!

One thing I would have in my BOB is my Ruger HB 22 auto pistol.. handy as a rifle and just as accurate for a ways.. I also have a folding stock on my 10-22 which can be lashed to my BOB.. and left in my rig full time..and easy to switch to my Bronco for the times I use it...

You made me think! ...again ...Thank you!

I guess I'll look at it as a BOB in my BOB...lol

20. BoyScoutSurvivor

BoyScoutSurvivor Active Member

I would go with a mossberg 500. I love that gun. It can be used for defensive, or hunting purposes. I would also have a folding stock on it to keep it slightly more hidden.