Weaknesses that may affect preparedness

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by sinbad, Jan 20, 2010.

1. sinbad

sinbad Well-Known Member

Preparedness is not about piling emergency gear, but also training yourself to tackle what is necessary. I don't like to talk about it but it is a fact. There are a number of weaknesses that may stop me from doing what is necessarty to survive.

One of them is the inability to kill animals. :cry: I have seen my father and uncles slaughter chikens and my cousins do it sometimes, but I have never managend to break the psychological barrier. :dunno:

I have other weaknesses off course, but you will be bored because the list is long unfortunately. I am trying to battele thses weaknesses but life isn't helping. FWIW, there are annyoing pigeons living all over my house, and I didn't have the heart to remove their chicks and destroy their nests.

How about you ? And if you have won the battle against your weaknesses, how could you do it ?

2. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Sinbad, I remember years ago when we raised pullets(meat chicken) for meat, and because they grow very fast you would hope not to grow attached to them. After they were ready, I bled them out and butchered all but one. The family helped to prepare the meal, then sat down to eat. Hmmmm, I began to eat the others kinda sat there and looked at their plates. After some coaxing they ate reluctantly. So your not the only one that has gone through this.

The same was true when we butchered the first calf of our milk cow, the first pigs and so on.

Now the kids and others who shared in the meat keep on me to raise more.
    Oh by the way when I said I butchered all but one of the chicken, that one hen was named Nelly and became a fixture around the hen yard for years and even after a bout of cancer on one of her feet, lived to ripe old age.

3. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I used to hate salads, especially with dressing on it. Once I was really hungry without any prospects of anything else to eat for a long time and salad was all my cousins had to offer at meal time. I learned to like it that day however dressing:eek: still makes me throw up! I enjoy fishing and hunting birds, my attitude is that I didn't make it to the top of the food chain to be an herbivore!:eek: I also have the attitude that I will not kill anything for the sake of killing it. (My higher power concept dictates that I worship the Creator, not the created, and that we were given domain over the animal population to use to meet our needs.) I will only do that in order to nourish me and my family. The first time I caught and cleaned a fish it was hard, it was a little hard the first time I shot a bird, but then it gets easier the next time. I was rabbit hunting with a friend a few years back, we saw an opposum, he shot it several times and just left it there, it had too much buck shot in it for me to deal with. I asked him why he had done it, he couldn't give me any clear answer. Needless to say I have never gone hunting with him again. One of my closest buddies is Conner my 8 yr. old yellow lab, if the day comes that I have to hold him in my lap while the vet puts him down I will be quite broken up, but I will be there for him in the end. I was also thinking last night that here I take him for a walk, maybe when we both get to the other side, he will be the one taking me for a walk and showing me around. Brings teers to my eyes just thinking about this scenario. I guess my point is that when we have our back against the wall and we absolutely have to do something, we just do it.

4. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I used to have the same issue. I learned to detach myself. I was slaughtering chickens and hating it until some one pointed out that I raised them with love why would I not slaughter them the same way? That was the point of raising them. From that point forward I was ok with it. Kind of. I still don't like dear. Don't know why just don't. I think my father scared me as a child with one.

5. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Being preprared is being trained. Everyone that is trying to prepare for long-term-survival needs to train their mind and body. Right now, I am training my mind through the reading of books and through online resources. The training includes instructions on hunting, fishing, trapping, cleaning, preparing, tanning, etc.

The second step in the training is to take that "book knowledge" and turning it into "physical knowledge" - meaning - 2009 was my first hunting trip where I was part of the whole process start-to-finish - not just bit-parts as I have for years previously (sometimes part of the hunting trip, sometimes part of the butcher-party, sometimes part of the cooking party).

I am also training my mind / body further with my metal fabrication skills - cutting, forming, welding, polishing, painting. I have been in the metal fabrication business since 2002 and previous to that I was a backyard metal fabricator. Currently, I am working as a metal designer (AutoCAD) and my designs are directly imported into CNC-machines - and - I work all the machines in the shop, take my own projects home and weld / finish there.

Adding to that, I am learning more about gardening beyond growing herbs, berries and such. I used to grow lettuce, beans, tomatoes, carrots, etc when I had a yard large enough to have a decent-sized garden - it has been years since I had a yard large enough to do anymore than minimal growing. :gaah:

Next up on the list of things to do - juicing and cider and wine making .... :woohoo:

6. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I guess that will change this year eh?

7. NaeKid

Every day I get another 24hrs closer to having a large yard that I can start growing a decent sized garden. I am really hoping that I will be able to get the ground prepared for the first garden early enough to be able to harvest in the fall. The yard currently has a mini-garden in one corner about 8' square with lots and lots of grass that could be turned into a garden without ruining a play-zone for my grandson.

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Sinbad, we live on what was a dairy farm until about 10 years ago. Now we raise beef and I've raised rabbits and chickens in the past, as well as the occasional turkey or 2. My dad raised a ferw hogs once in a while for some extra money. As a farm kid, you learn early on that food does NOT come from the grocery store. Chicken is just that, a chicken. Ground beef was once a living, breathing, probably fairly affectionate cow. You learn real young to detach yourself from the farm animals. You still respect them and enjoy them, but they are livestock, not pets. It still sucks when it's time for them to go, but at least you know that there's no hormones or anything weird in the meat. I do hunt when I get the chance and have no problem pulling the trigger to fill my crock pot. I feel bad until the animal stops kicking, then it's just meat. I hope this helps you some. You'll manage just fine, one way or the other.

9. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

NaeKid,

I just bagged about 10# of sweet corn seed, heirloom of course. Would you like some to get your garden started?

10. NaeKid

That would be great, but, corn doesn't really agree with my digestive-system. I'll see if WildMist would like some corn for her half of the garden. :wave:

11. Concerned_ Citizen

Concerned_ Citizen Well-Known Member

hello all.

It pretty much boils down to instincts, i would like to think if **** hit the fan, and you havnt ate in a week, your kids or loved ones havnt ate, etc you wont have much of a problem killing an animal......

what you really need to worry about is when that time comes do you have the knowledge to use that animal for all its worth? doing it correctly to maximize the yield? preserving what you cant eat?

12. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

I have to agree. When you are at your breaking point, you would be surprised what you are capable of.

I've never really had a problem with butchering animals. I grew up on a farm, raising pigs, chickens and cattle. Every year they would get slaughtered. I would also go fishing quite a bit, gut that sucker and fry him up without thinking twice. It was all just a perfectly normal way of life to me.

But if you never grew up around that sort of stuff, I could see how you might have a problem with it. But, like Concerned Citizen said, if you are starving to death, instinct will kick in.