We live in public

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Concerned_ Citizen, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Concerned_ Citizen

Concerned_ Citizen Well-Known Member

I highly recomend if you have a netflix account, WATCH this movie about how the internet has slowly been taking over our lives........If there wasnt SO much good info to be had, i would log off entirely.

2. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Is that the name of the movie..."We live in public"?

I have netflix, so I'll take a look. I resent the internet because it has slowly become more a part of our lives, and so many things are being left undone - even FUN things - that I sometimes want to just lock my computer away and shut off the internet. It IS useful and I also use it to keep in touch with family on a regular basis, so I'd miss it.

But it reminds me of why we cut up credit cards years ago, spent months paying off all the card and loan debt, then never got another credit card or loan.

We couldn't handle it. We couldn't stay within certain limits, even our own imposed limits.

The internet has become the same to us. I feel like an addict and I'm disappointed in myself. Even disgusted sometimes, over the things I leave undone or don't even get to, because I was on the computer so long.

Gee, that feels like something out of a 10-step program! It was hard to write that, but now I feel better! Maybe I should have written "Hi, my name is gypsysue and I'm a computer addict. I'm here because I need to get my life back in control because it's slipping farther and farther into cyber-land!"

3. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

It is my ONLY source of news and staying current. We don't even get the Nashville paper any longer since we moved here.

4. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

I do not get the paper or broadcast TV. Can't justify the cost of cable or sat, as I watched it so little. For what I do like to watch, Hulu.com is great. No times to have to be ready for - call up my favorite shows online ANY time, and the picture onmy 'puter screen is far superior to my old CRT tellys. Now, I just use the boobtube occasionally for DVD watching.
    I can also scan many news sources, right and left, and weed out the chaff. Even sometimes get the real story from foreign unbiased sources.

5. Concerned_ Citizen

Yes, that is the name.......

And yes, i feel you on all points......First step is admittance.... Now its time to take action!

Seriously though, I can def be addicted to this thing....And i have personally experienced every point you made......

My wife took the laptop to a Co-Op meeting she is on the board with.....I was NOT happy to say the least.....when she left, i was looking around like, NOW what do I do......well....the house got clean, tasks ive been putting off got done, and my daughter and I went for a really nice walk through the woods...and i felt SO SO much better about myself.....For so long, the first thing i would do in the morning is get some coffee and sit down to ONLY chk my email.....only time after time end up spending 2 hours doing this and doing that....Now I TRY to get some coffee, get things done THEN chk my email....

It can definitely be an addiction for sure.....luckily, I AM working a 12 step program for other issues and i just try to apply them to all areas and issues in my life...including the internet...sometimes I do fairly well, sometimes I dont.....all i can do is try......

But seriously though, admitting to yourself that it is causing you problems is a pretty big step.....just keep reminding yourself that and you should be able to get better with it.

Now stop reading this and go do something outside lol

6. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

Gypsysue and Concerned Citizen ... Your stories are exactly why you will have days go by that I do not post. I am notorious for spending too much time on the computer and then putting my own foot down. lol

Even if your intentions are honest, like research on a specific issue, tt is so easy to get sucked up into the mundane stuff. Sometimes I feel like those Bing search engine commercials where the people start off with one topic and at the end of the commercial are talking about something completely different ... :eek:

7. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

That's why I, too, have disappeared for a day or two at a time. I have in the past told myself after my morning cup of hot cocoa that I'll just jump on the computer, check my email, take a quick look at the news headlines, and maybe glance at the forum.

Three or four hours later, I'm still on the computer. I've done all of the above and also ran searches on things as they came up, and then got sidetracked by another link that looked interesting...

I spent so much time on the computer over the summer and fall that I did much less bicycling, hiking, and kayaking than I normally do. I got less done around the house and yard. I felt lost if I couldn't "check in" every few hours on the internet.

Finally I decided these past couple weeks that enough was enough. I can't control myself on the computer, so some days I refuse to even boot it up until afternoon, or even at all, because I know it'll take over my day.

It's like an addiction. Yet it wasn't that long ago that we were griping about the KIDS and all the hours they were on the computer and/or playing video games. And here we are...we have become that.

So, I'm not familiar with 12-step programs, other than where you see on movies where they take that big first step and admit their problem. What's next? :D

At the same time, I don't want to lost you all here! Self-imposted time limits are only marginally successful, but I'm working on it.

Maybe I can learn to type faster! :lolsmash:

8. BadgeBunny

I don't know anything about the 12 steps either ...

And being a faster typist won't help (I know ... cuz I am fast typist). That only helps you get your post count up quicker! LOL :D

There are only a couple of forums I post on now and like you, I would hate to lose the friends I have made so ... I guess I will just have to try to practice moderation just a little bit better ... *sigh*

Maybe an egg timer would help? :scratch

9. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

My new 12 step program..

Hello....my name is HozayBuck..I'm an addict .. I get up, hit the on button on the coffee maker, go out with Molly the duck killer ( BIT*H !).. yell at her for even looking in their direction.. then come back in, pour a cup, and turn on the drug machine.. "JUST TO CHECK MY E MAILS"... uh huh, then I blink it's 10:00am.. and I've not moved an inch!...

SO !!! the new 12 step program!!.. I turn on the coffee... then toss Killer out, watch her watch the ducks till I kick her butt to break the spell.. she does her job and we come back in... NOW it's MY moment..!! ... I now take 12 steps... "AWAY"!! from the puter!.. it's hard.. and I have bad days.. sometimes I take 1 forward and slide back 3.. like there is an IV line in my ***...!! But I have a plan !! tomorrow!! I'm going 13 steps!!...maybe..hopefully... I'm so proud!...

10. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

Yep... Hozay, I'm just a step behind you...

[​IMG]

heavily addicted!

- Basey

11. ComputerGuy

ComputerGuy Retired Air Force

I work on computers for the Govt. Computer security etc. Addicted . Guess so.

12. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

We watched in last night. During the first part I was like "Why are we watching this? It's just a documentary of this computer nerd/genius and how he helped make the internet a big thing".

But as it unfolded, the message started to become clear, and by the last part we were thinking "holy crap...".

Watch it, if you can. If you don't have netflix, find a friend who does and invite yourself over. (We have it, come on over...)

13. popandnan

popandnan Member

and...........

No newspaper, no TV :2thumb:

14. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I booted up my computer tonight and it looked at me and said:
    [​IMG]

Except I don't look like that, and I don't wear a suit and tie... :D

Another interesting thing happened, which actually related to the OP. Last week I went to the History Channel website, typed in the name of a show someone recommended (it didn't come up), and left the site. It didn't ask for any information. I never typed in my name, email address, or anything.

Today I got a junk/spam email to my personal email account with an advertisement for their magazine or newsletter, wanting me to subscrible.

Interesting. Coincidence? I've never received any email from them before, nor have I ever had any contact with them in any form. We do not now and never have had cable or satelite TV. I have watched the channel at some of my kids' houses before.

*pulls tinfoil hat down. Eyes dart around*

:eek:

15. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I hate to admit it, but I too am a computer addict. I did not realize how bad it was until we had that glitch on the site yesterday. :gaah::surrender:

16. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

17. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

I do get on in the morning and some late evening, but never more than an hour or two at the longest and not every day. My box crashed last year and until my bro came in to fix it, no net for 4 whole months, eek! lol. Really did not miss it. Makes me sleepy :eek: this and a few other sites like this is all i,am on no face thingy or the other social sites. I guess this could be considered a social site to but a lot lower numbers, :wave:. Yep i could live with out it, but yep i would miss ya all.

18. Concerned_ Citizen

No coincidence......

19. BadgeBunny

No coincidence ... I have had this happen before also. Irks me to no end ...:(