Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
I am a little teapot
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
Jeez...those were really something. For some reason the two that nailed me were the toddler in the car door with the burlap sack and the guy watering the corn field. The kid reminded me of my son and the futility of watering that much corn with a bucket because of a lack of rain really hit me.
 

·
The Skeptic
Joined
·
280 Posts
My mom has some pictures from my extended family during the Great Depression and I remember asking why nobody ever smiled in pictures. She just said, "People didn't really have a lot to smile about back then."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah but you have to envy their self sufficiency and work ethic
And the fortitude to keep going in the face of oppressive adversity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,183 Posts
I've got a lot of pics like that from my Mom, from around 1930 maybe before, and nobody was smiling.. the men looked like the last ride of the Dalton Gang, If I had been a revenuer I would not have messed with those ol boys!!!...

Those day's could be coming back soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,183 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey! We have a separate thread for posting self portraits. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
You want to know bad? I give you Sumatra. Just a few months after the December 2004 tsunami.

This village once housed over 30,000 people and was considered upper class because they had electricity provided by generators.

After the tsunami hit, there were about 100 survivors. They were the poor people who lived in the hills around the town. Half of them later died of malaria along with about a dozen Indonesian Marines who also contracted the disease.

Roughly 75% of the victims were washed out to sea and never seen again. The remaining 25% had been crushed to death or drowned in their homes.

Image 1: The least affected side of town.
Image 2: The first Indonesian Marine to die from Malaria. He only lasted 3 hours after contracting the disease.
Image 3: One of four building miraculously still standing.
Image 4: The remains of the upper class area
Image 5: The remains of the middle class area
 

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top