Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Im new here and had a question. I just purchased a white water drum and remember reading a while back somewhere about painting it to prevent algae and other stuff. I searched this site and others and didnt find an answer so i thought i would ask. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that link. But it doesnt say anything about the color of the barrel. I have water treatment for long term storage. Maybe that would be good enough to keep out any growth?

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
I wouldnt think its necessary to paint it, but I guess it couldnt hurt. Cool dark place. My barrels are in my garage, which is a million degrees right now, but I dont have any choice, and Ive got a water filter so no biggie.
If this is your only water source and you dont have a filter then sure, paint it and make sure you have some bleach/water tablets/pool shock etc. Better safe than sorry.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Along these lines; assume one had a very large underground cistern. Installed after digging a large hole and then routing rainwater into storage, something only for this purpose and made of concrete similar to a septic tank. Would it be pure enough to boil? Should it be treated ? Not really trying to hijack the thread but just a larger version of the OP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking about storing it outside and covering with a tarp or something. What are your thoughts about in a garage like the other guy said.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
I store mine in 5 gallon containers in a closet. For a container as big as yours mobility is the biggest issue -- I would want mine on something elevated preferably with wheels so you can move it around if you need. I dont think you want anything touching the concrete... I think (have heard) it can corrode certain materials and even leech into what you are storing sometimes.

·
1,810 Posts
I heard that too Ant, I have mine on some old carpeting.
I wont be able to move them, but at least I have it, so I wont be going thirsty...

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I heard that too Ant, I have mine on some old carpeting.
I wont be able to move them, but at least I have it, so I wont be going thirsty...
How about two 5 x 7 rugs I'm not using??
I filled 5 gallon buckets also instead of leaving them empty/unused in the pantry..and stacked in garage..yep---about 100 degrees today...on covered porch, it was 105 at 3:00 here in Ky.:cry:

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
The reasoning behind painting it is to block sunlight, thus reducing algae growth. If you keep it in a dark area or otherwise covered, the same results will be achieved. If you're storing in a dark place or have a couple blankets over it, I wouldn't see the need for painting.

·
1,810 Posts
More=better.

Get a filter, and store as much water as you can. You can never have enough water. You cannot live without water (wow, the insight!). If you had to you can eat almost anything.
Water was my #1 concern. Nothing else does you any good if you dont have a water supply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
More=better.

Get a filter, and store as much water as you can. You can never have enough water. You cannot live without water (wow, the insight!). If you had to you can eat almost anything.
Water was my #1 concern. Nothing else does you any good if you dont have a water supply.
If you have access to a well you can put in a flojak pump (Flojak) its affordable. Nothing else like it. And...its made in the good old USA

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have read on another forum that the 2 liter bottles are and sometimes are not good for long term storage of water. I really can not tell which is correct. Seems like they would be good as a drink came in them initially.

I have picked up some 5 gal clear plastic jugs from Walmart to store water in my garage. Have read that there may be something wrong with them. What is the real story on those? And, do you treat the water to be stored long term with bleach and then again before using it? Thanks.

Oh, I was thinking of using a ceramic filter with charcoal and silver components on the water before using it after long term storage.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have read on another forum that the 2 liter bottles are and sometimes are not good for long term storage of water. I really can not tell which is correct. Seems like they would be good as a drink came in them initially.

I have picked up some 5 gal clear plastic jugs from Walmart to store water in my garage. Have read that there may be something wrong with them. What is the real story on those? And, do you treat the water to be stored long term with bleach and then again before using it? Thanks.

I read that soda bottles were fine to use, so we are back to square one. A few months ago I put water in soda bottles and figured in a few months more I would check the water just to make sure. Below is where I got the info about soda bottles:
FEMA: Are You Ready?

Just make sure the plastic is BPA free, clear, designed for liquids for human consumption and hasn't held milk or fruit juices.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I had water in 5 gallon buckets from lowe's and delis..before I transferred to 30 gallon drums.
It was fine...clean, not discolored in any way.
I didn't do anything to it---the water coming from your faucet has more chemicals than you'd think.
Before drinking, it would be a good idea to use pool shock before drinking---or bleach if you prefer.
But I wouldn't bleach/treat water going in 2 liter bottles..
And also, those Simply Apple, Simply Grapefruit, Simply Orange containers are awesome for water storage...strong and don't deteriorate.
So much, that I kept those on the shelfs instead of transferring to drums.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I buy sealed one gallon water jugs. I have them on 4x8 sheets of 23/32 plywood with 12x8x16 cinder blocks in 3 rows. I have them arranged so there are 2 rows of water jugs, then a row of cinder blocks, 4 rows of water jugs, a row of cinder blocks, 4 rows of water jugs, a row of cinder blocks, and 2 rows of water jugs. I get 96 on a sheet of plywood with cinder blocks. I have 4 rows with cinder blocks and the top sheet of plywood has 128 water jugs. I get 512 gallons on one water tower. They're in my basement. So far I haven't any problems with floor strength or sagging plywood.

This isn't for everyone though. From what I've been able to research the water jugs will last about 2 years and then have to be replaced. But if the collapse happens in the next year like a think it will it won't be a problem.

I have about 1300 gallons right now. I have two more rows on the third water tower and then I'm done.

On one of the towers I have over 400 rolls of toilet paper stored on top. One the other one I'm on my way to having 100 rolls of paper towels.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts

I read that soda bottles were fine to use, so we are back to square one. A few months ago I put water in soda bottles and figured in a few months more I would check the water just to make sure. Below is where I got the info about soda bottles:
FEMA: Are You Ready?

Just make sure the plastic is BPA free, clear, designed for liquids for human consumption and hasn't held milk or fruit juices.
My biggest problem with many cheap ways to store water is that I have had so many leaks. I have purchased the 1 gallon bottles from walmart and they cracked and flooded me. I ended up purchasing the following and they have been great. Now I just need to get my lazy butt into water rotation:

This is where I got mine... they have other options as well:5-Gallon Stackable Water Container

·
Lifelong Learner
24 Posts
I was thinking about storing it outside and covering with a tarp or something. What are your thoughts about in a garage like the other guy said.
We just finished building this system and did paint the barrels black:

A Spouse's Guide to Building the Perfect Rain Barrel System

To winterize the system here in the mild maritime Pacific Northwest, we're experimenting with tarped bales of hay stacked under and around the whole set-up to provide what we hope will be sufficient insulation to keep the water in the barrels from freezing.

Since we found all nine barrels originally for only five bucks each, we figure it's worth a try, as we don't want to have to drain the system for the winter.

I'd love to hear of any more "winterizing" ideas that have worked for your rain-barrel storage. :)

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
We just finished building this system and did paint the barrels black:

A Spouse's Guide to Building the Perfect Rain Barrel System

To winterize the system here in the mild maritime Pacific Northwest, we're experimenting with tarped bales of hay stacked under and around the whole set-up to provide what we hope will be sufficient insulation to keep the water in the barrels from freezing.

Since we found all nine barrels originally for only five bucks each, we figure it's worth a try, as we don't want to have to drain the system for the winter.

I'd love to hear of any more "winterizing" ideas that have worked for your rain-barrel storage. :)
Many are running that drain system into the basement or garage w. their drums catching the water there. Nevertheless, I would rather have frozen water, than no water...I'm in Ky with the coldest about 20 and I would 'TRY' to bring in if I knew a freeze was coming--but in a SHTF situation, no radio, so no weather reports ---we'll miss that..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts