water storage question

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by dakada, Apr 10, 2011.

1. dakada

dakada dakada

i am getting ready to move a bunch of stored water from in the house out to a shed. the shed will get hot in the summer, we are in the south, so heat & humidity will be high.

other than roatating the water in my bottles. i believe i read here that it needs to be changed out and rebottled to be ok to drink, every 6 months.
    is this true?

this is tap water for animals, bathing and hygiene should we not have water from the tap. not to waste water i was planning to use it in the garden when the time comes to rotate the water out because it would no longer be ok to drink.

am i wasting water and energy because the heat & humidity will ruin it because i now need to put it out in shed? is this where those filtration tablets would work if i did not rotate the water?

please any advice would be appreciated. all this prepping can get confusing when trying to cover so many bases.

thanks everyone

2. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

It's the "ok to drink" part that is the source of the confusion, I daresay, because there seems to be a big spectrum of what people are ok with drinking. People being people, that's probably par for the course. And as such, the answer to your question is another question: What are you willing to drink?

Pure water has no 'taste', no color, no odor. Taste, color, and odor all come from other stuff that is mixed in with it. Pure water is sufficiently blah that bottled water manufacturers add in minerals like calcium and magnesium to give it a little something something. There are several water storage variables that will add taste, color, and odor -- mostly for the worse.

Tap water that sits in heat will take on the 'taste' of its container more quickly than if it sits in a cooler location. There has been controversy/awareness in recent years about some of the compounds that leech out of plastic are not good for the health. As an avid backpacker who lived out of the original Nalgenes (with extra BPA!!) for decades, I suppose I'm lucky to have not grown a third eye or an extra finger. So, assess your tolerance for plastic-y taste, given the duration of an emergency and rotate to suit your preferences. Also, don't store the water near any petroleum products. They get more odiferous in the heat and the fumes can get absorbed into the plastic that stores your water.

Water that is exposed to light for long periods will tend to sprout algae. Livestock could care less about algae, but people have been known to balk at drinking green water. Algae can be killed off with chlorine or iodine, and can be filtered out, but Cl2 and I2 add taste, color, and odor and filtering adds extra steps. Many of the containers sold as water storage containers are dark blue. This is to help keep the water in the dark and retard algae growth. If you end up with an algae problem, rotate more often and bleach the heck out of the containers before refilling them.

If you choose to use a water stabilizer (and you don't have to), do your research and find one that is palatable for you and yours. They tend to be based on oxygen, chlorine, or iodine and they will all do the job of keeping microorganisms from growing in your water. Pick the one you are willing to drink and follow manufacturer's directions.

So how often do you have to rotate water? Whenever it gets approaches the point where you'd be unwilling to drink it.

3. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

If you haven't peeked at it yet the forums here have one whole sections devoted to water-how to get it, how to clean it and how to store it... I spent one whole day reading thru there and found quite a few "new to me" things to try.

BPA imitates estrogen and can cause breast swelling in men and early menstrual periods in girls and may affect reproductive cycles of people. Sure the FDA "says" it is "safe" but why risk it.
    We replaced all the plastic water and drinking cups/bottles and replaced them with glass(when at home) and stainless steel for out and about..
    If your stainless steel gets a funky smell cuz ya decided to put ice tea/lemonade in there, just pour in some baking soda and nice hot water , cap it up and shake well to distribute and then let it sit for 24 hours or so.. All clean and no funky smell.(works on the big plastic coolers for water and regular coolers too.. we even just pour some baking soda in an open baggie and store it in every cooler we have. keeps the funk down!)

4. dakada

dakada dakada

thank you both for the great info. i will search through the threads on water and make sure there is no petroleum in this particular shed!

i think it is time to start a root cellar/water storage area! my husband will love this honey do!!