Water purifier?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by rockpilefarmer, Feb 20, 2011.

1. rockpilefarmer

rockpilefarmer Member

Hi kids, this is my first time posting. I hope I am in the right place. We can live a long time with little food, but not long at all without water.

I wanted to ask what you all are doing for water purification? I am seriously thinking about a Berky.

2. vn6869

vn6869 Afraid, very afraid

From everything I have read, Berkely is the way to go.

Make sure you are getting a water purifier, and not a water filter.
    Also compare by the micron size of filteration. Not the claims of filtering 99.9% of contaminantes. That is a filter not a purifier, a purifyer should be less than 0.1 micron rated.

JMHO

3. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Hi Rockpilefarmer! Glad to see ya made it here! Welcome! Now if you go down a few forums you will see the water and storage threads... They have tons of stuff down there and many things that I never would have thought of.

4. rockpilefarmer

rockpilefarmer Member

Hi ya Em. Thanks for the heads up on this forum. My daughter's 32 birthday is next week. Guess what she is getting from me? Yup, a Berky!:kiss:

5. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

You're the bestest mom!:2thumb:

6. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

7. BillM

BillM BillM

The best water purifier

The best water purifier is a still !

8. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

Not really, it's a slow working energy hog and it strips the minerals we need from the water. I'll use the gravity feed berkey and save the still for the mash. :)
    Stock up on your sugar and tomato paste before it gets too expensive.

9. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

Distilled water is the purest but tends to be a bit acidic, so you need to raise the ph a bit and should add some minerals for the longhaul :beercheer: