Wasted supplies

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by kogneto, Apr 3, 2010.

1. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

So I just found out that after a guest checks out, the hotel I work at just tosses all the amenities and replaces them with fresh stuff.

Apparently it's easier to do that than to check whether they've actually used them, but the advantage comes in that while it's crappy soap/shampoo/conditioner/lotion, it's actually pretty good sewing-kits(including mini-scissors and extra buttons)/toothpaste(crest)/combs/matchbooks.

I talked to my new manager and while she agrees it seems like a waste, it's something corporate sent out as a "quality assurance" guarantee. She says she doesn't mind if the stuff doesn't make it to the trash, just so long as we don't fall below a minimum number of stuff on hand at the front desk.

Guess who's got 2 thumbs and just got the hookup? :2thumb: this guy!

Edit: I meant to ask, the shelf life on this toothpaste is only about a year. Any good longer shelf life stuff? I mean does it really matter if after a couple years you use it? I don't think it would go bad, but what's some good storing techniques?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  2. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

I think a lot of that shelf life stuff is just BS by the folks wanting to sell more...

Ever heard to old wives tale about how you can't thaw foods and then refreeze them?

well that was one of the urban legends that was tracked down , it turned out the the one of the first company's to offer frozen foods was "Birdseye" and supposedly it was tracked back to them where they actually said...Thawing and refreezing "MAY" cause a loss of quality...makes more sense huh?

I'd use it...now meds is a different story...no idea...

3. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

yeah meds are one thing I wouldn't mess with, I know most of the time smell tells a lot, as aspirin turns into vinegar when it rots (i think it's aspirin, too tired to google it) but it's pretty obvious

any meds people keep in supply other than their own personal selection? I guess this would fit into the medicine section, but it's in relation to your kits!

4. opsec

opsec Member

Baking soda. Works just fine as a replacement for toothpaste and has an eternal shelf life.

5. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

I remember hearing a professor say that the salesman for baking soda should win an award. It's the only product on earth that people will pay to flush down the toilet. Plus it has almost unlimited uses.

6. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

When I traveled a lot I would save all the free stuff.
    Then I gave it to homeless shelters or the VA hospital.

7. drhwest

drhwest Junior Member

8. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I'm one of those who takes the spare soap and shampoo with him when he checks out. Mrs. Sailaway just roles her eyes when she looks in my suit case at home.;)

9. sinbad

sinbad Well-Known Member

LOL :D

Mrs Sinbad does the same when I take those small packets of salt/pepper/sugar and what not from fast food chain.

I mean we paid for them, and she wants me to leave them on the tray to be tossed in the trash. :mad:

Besides, where else can I find such valuable items for my emergency kits ???

10. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I don't know where else I can find small quantities for free. Small sizes usually cost more per an oz. I'm a recovering cost accountant also.:eek:

11. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

My wife makes me take them. She says they're just going to throw them out any ways. They sit under her sink and she's starting to get a good collection of them.

I keep the cutlery packs. She argues about that. Funny.

12. Idaholady

Idaholady Member

I've been taking the small bars of soap when I stay at a motel; I've been doing this off and on for a couple of years. I now have a nice supply to be able to barter with when things get bad. I am also buying the small toothpastes from time to time,for bartering as well.. When times get tough; it will be nice to be able to help some homeless folks out too.

13. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

My in-laws always bring the stuff from hotels home for my son. I pack them in his kit when he goes camping with the scouts and for summer camp. I send a couple that way if he forgets one in the shower room he has a back up in his bag. (The summer camp throws away anything left in the bath house after the kids are done their turns)

14. HozayBuck

I too keep the extra salt and pepper packets, and take the goodies from the motel..

As for the cutlery packs ALWAYS take them!!... there's two thing any old Grunt can tell you, never forget your spoon and your neck towel ... they just make life better... some place I have a whole bunch of the tiny bottles of hot sauce..

When I'm on the road and stop at some fast food place I always go inside because I can get my order to go and stop and put a bunch of the condiments and a big batch of napkins in the sack...the napkins are good for many things!! and in a pinch beat the hell outta leaves... :D

One of the best and cheapest items you can stock pile is hydrogen peroxide, I use it before I brush my teeth , it's great for cleaning wounds, hell I even mix 2 ox's of that and 2 of dish soap with 16 oz's of water and clean my black powder weapons with it... and it cleans fast!! one or two swipes dpwn the bore and your good to go...

15. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Never even thought of that. I have a small stock of HP. That's a lot cheaper than the bottles of cleaning solution. :2thumb:

16. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

I put about 2 oz. of dish soap in a gallon of winshield washer antifreeze for cleaning mine. I can store it in the shed without worry that it will freeze and it does a good job cleaning too.

17. Tribal Warlord Thug

Tribal Warlord Thug Well-Known Member

mrs. rabidcoyote says leave the damnable decaff behind (of course, she knows i can't)....other than that...take it all......lol pack rats forever..

18. HozayBuck

Today's trash is tomorrows treasure... how many plastic grocery bags get tossed? how many plastic milk jugs?.. I keep and reuse Ctg cheese containers, why buy tupper ware? if the shtf bad enough these items will be gone, maybe for ever, which is fine but they have many uses...even now..think about "After"...

up above we were speaking of black powder weapons, one nice thing about BP rifles, is that they don't have the sharp loud crack of a modern rifle, in timber it's really hard to hear on if you even a few hundred yards away.. just a thought, and also there are many uses for BP..:D..nuff said...

Something I hadn't thought about is stock piling the stuff to make trot lines, as a kid I made many of them, easy way to have plenty of fish without standing on a bank with a pole... we used limb lines a lot too... they work great too..

19. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

And the alternatives just keep coming. :2thumb: :thankyou:

20. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Most hotels also have pens and little notepads in the rooms. We always snatch them up when we stay somewhere. It's just a little thing, but every little bit helps. Also, county fair exhibitors will frequently have pens, pencils, pads, little fans, etc. for the taking.