Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,216 Posts
For a little while, I have been interested in getting myself a washboard. Especially after reading the book Lights Out by David Crawford, (I read the PDF one then bought the book) we will need to survive, live without electricity for a long period of time. Well, many already are finding ways to go off grid already. But water will be also be needed to conserve. Now a regular washing machine takes power, takes a lot of water. But a washboard needs a good tub, some water and elbow grease! A good way to start, let your really soiled clothes soak in the water, then place your washboard in the tub and start scrubbing. Not only will your clothes be cleaner than the washing machine, but you will use a lot less water, and soap as well. And the wash water can be used to water your garden afterwards. The ringing out part will be a little more tedious, but you will manage. Trust me!
Good idea..I have considered the 5 gallon bucket with plunger.
I use the cheap $1 and $2 detergent but splurge on the Purex 'bleach for colors'--just a tad in each load and I spray it on tough stains too-- and am stocking up on that every time I go to the grocery that carries it.:2thumb:

· Registered
3,216 Posts
I have no problem with hand laundry--it's just those jeans--they are gonna be a bugger!!!:eek:

And we will be wearing the same clothes a lot longer around this house---and my neighbor(I use that word loosely) thinks the Amish/Mennonites smell---just wait till she smells me!!!:ignore:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.