Warning-Pancake/Cake Mix/Bisquick

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by Yolanda, Jan 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Yolanda

Yolanda Guest

Hi everyone,
    I got this in my email inbox from a family member so I thought I would share.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A student at HBHS had pancakes this week and it almost became fatal.
    His Mom (registered nurse) made him pancakes, dropped him off at
    school and headed to play tennis. She never takes her cell phone on
    the court but did this time and her son called to say he was having
    trouble breathing. She told him to go to the nurse immediately and
    proceeded to call school and alert the nurse. The nurse called the
    paramedics and they were there in 3 minutes and worked on the boy all
    the way to the hospital. He came so close to dying. Evidently this is
    more common then I ever knew. Check the expiration dates on packages
    like pancakes and cake mixes that have yeast which over time develop
    spores.

Apparently, the mold that forms in old mixes can be toxic!
    Throw away ALL OUTDATED pancake mix, Bisquick, brownie mixes etc you
    have in your home.

You can check this website for more information.......

snopes.com: Pancake Mix and Allergic Reaction

P. S. You might want to tell this to your children, grandchildren,
    nephews, nieces and anyone else who keeps these type of mixes in the
    cupboard.

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I hear about this happening al the time, I like to call it 'Natural Selection'

3. jebrown

jebrown jebrown

This story has been going around for quite some time now. Over 1 1/2 years. The date gets changed to make it seem like it is recent news. It was an allergic reaction to another ingredient that the kid was allergic to it had nothing to do with outdated products. it was not from yeast either.
    Those are sell by dates for freshness not use by dates. If the date has expired the product is still useable.
    If you spend any time looking around on scopes you will find stories that contracict themselves. Not a very reliable web site. Yet people believe what is on that web site is gospel.

4. The_Blob

thanx for calling 'BS' on snopes jebrown, they are ever-so-slowly being revealed as having some sort of dissemination agenda, I just don't know what it is yet... :eek:

5. merlotmaker

merlotmaker Guest

I hadn't heard of this snopes website before so indeed, thanks for calling b.s. on it or I would have been over cautious about pancake mix for the rest of my life!! lol

6. The_Blob

let me clarify a bit, snopes is not a horrible site, but like wikipedia, it is not infallible... it is always good to have multiple sources for info & not put your eggs in one basket.

I know that pancake mold is possible, but in my experience it has succumbed to bugs or moisture before that has happened (to me)...

7. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Warning: Pancakes taste awesome!

8. DrewDrew

DrewDrew Guest

I just don't like sites where the information might be false. Why even read the info if it may or may not be true? Just doesn't seem right to me that anybody can edit a Wikipedia entry. Can't trust everyone who prowls around on the internet, that'[s for sure!

9. skip

skip Old hillbilly

We always keep our mixes in the freezer. That in itself expands the shelf life.

10. O6nop

O6nop Active Member

So, there would be no point in going to any news site, political site, blog or forum. The purpose is to help you make your own decisions. You can spot check a rumor on Snopes or check a fact on Wikipedia for better understanding, but when it comes down to it, you have to make your own opinions. Do research on more than a couple sites.
    I use them both often.

AMEN!

11. Gene Backus

Gene Backus Guest

Check around on other websites for more information. There are some better more trust-worthy sites out there.

Mixes in the freezer? Does this include all mixes? (Cake, Muffins, Pancakes, etc.)
    Do they need to be stored in something other than the original packages when storing them in the freezer?

12. skip

skip Old hillbilly

We leave them in the original container. We put flour, cornmeal, mixes, everything in the freezer. Keeps longer, and doesn't get buggy.

One quick thing, my wife always takes the flour out a couple of hours before using it for baking. She says it rises better.

13. EvilTOJ

EvilTOJ O_o

Instead of worrying and hand wringing about what's the truth or not, why not look up some more research on the matter? Here's a government study on the phenomenon and it seems possible. Although it's not yeast spores, it's mold and penicillin.

14. Joanie

Joanie Guest

Thanks for the tip, skip9027! Or thanks to the wife! lol