Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do not use these to secure anything you wouldent put a please rob me sign on. These can easily be opened in less than 10 seconds. You can open one with a soda can and some scissors. Even the heavy duty ones can easily be cracked. It only takes me around one minute to make the shim and open the lock (only 6 seconds for the lock part). They are pretty much useless. Just thought I would let yall know.

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
I wish I knew how. I've got a bunch of locks without keys that I never could get into. :dunno:

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Very good observation. :) I can pop almost any padlock with my bolt cutters in about 2 seconds. Padlocks only keep honest people out.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I have a battery-powered "dremel" style tool. There isn't a lock that I can't open if I wanted in - key or no key.

I also have a way of opening "any" padlock - but - I won't post it because it will give the wrong people an idea that they don't need. :surrender:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Older style Master combo locks are just as bad! I can pick them in... I think my record is 45 seconds? It's been a few years, but yeah, those :ignore: locks arent worth the money you spend on 'em!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
:eek:GREAT GOOGLEY MOOGLEY! I now feel unsafe about the lock on my shed! A trained raccoon can do that! No wonder my feed pail gets raided all the time!:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
So what kind of locks are you suggesting that the every-day Joe can't open so easily? We all have sheds, garages and stuff that need to be locked up.

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
I took building trades at the vo-tech high school. Our shop teacher had just the right touch to pop open any combination lock with his hammer. If you forgot you combo or somebody did the old switch out your lock trick, he could open it with just a light, flick of the wrist type swing. He never broke a lock, you couldn't tell it was forced open.

That kid's lucky he didn't slice open his fingers. The smart crooked kids leave a handle on the shim to make it easier to work down into the lock. You cut out a T shape not a square. The top of the T becomes your handle.

You can look for an enclosed high security round lock, the one's you would find on the door of a work van in a city, but if someone wants in, they're getting in. I worked at a warehouse that spent thousands of dollars to upgrade to hardened locks for all the trailers. They bosses were proud of themselves and were showing off their new toys. You should have seen the looks on the faces of the big wigs when I ( a 19yo kid at the time) pointed out that their hundred dollar lock was held on to a wooden door with 2 small bolts. I told them I don't have to break their lock, just use a pipe to pull the bolts through the door and I'm in. Nothing like watching three 6-figure income jaws hit the floor from a statement by a $6 an hr kid. They should have asked me first, I could have them some money :)

Any lock can be broken into. Many of those U-bolt bicycle/motorcycle locks can be opened with a bic pen. Remember those popular car clubs? Why cut through 3/4" of harden club when you can just cut through a plastic steering wheel. ( I know there's a thin metal rod inside the wheel, but it's mostly plastic) Our youth has it all posted on youtube. Learn to get free soda from a vending machine or hot wire a car, it's all there.

My best lock is 95 pounds, most of my friends won't even come in if I'm not right there in the room. My back up lock is small it's only 9 millimeters.

·
Old Member
115 Posts
does that soda can trick work on keyed locks too?

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
what about the fahgettaboudit (sp?) or the onguard brute std-5001 (?) they are bike u-locks with $5,000 theft insurance/warranties

I guess ANY (functional) lock can be gotten around with enough time/effort, I guess the question is, is it worth it (to the thief)? :dunno:

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
It should work on any pad lock. It's like using a credit card to open a door. It pushes in the catch and lets the lock open.

Most of the time those "unbreakable" locks are put around something "soft" like a fence post or traffic sign. Even if the lock is unbreakable the other object isn't. Just like cutting a steering wheel with bolt cutters to remove a car club.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
We have a back-up plan for the padlock on our gate ... We have a sign (about the size of a stop sign) on it ...

The sign states - I can make it to the other gate in 2.8 seconds ... can you? Then it has a picture of a Great Pyrenees in the middle.

Play on peoples fears ... dogs, snakes and spiders :eek:

The other sign I liked was - My son loves his snakes ... and they don't like company ... this was posted beside his front door.

Not that all signs work, like the padlocks they may slow a person down.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i just tried that trick with the same master lock in the video and another smaller lock. neither time did it work. i did take a closer look at the video and replicated the results by putting in the combination before i put in the piece of aluminum can. at first i thought i was doing it wrong because pushing the piece down, it just deforms inside the lock and does nothing. then i tried from the side and there's no way that it can unlock from going around the side. the aluminum isn't strong enough to push the catch out of the way. at least from my experience it was.

any input on this?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It often depends on the cans strength. I can tell you that it isint fake because I have done it many times.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts