Warning canning jars made in china

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by unclebob, Feb 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. unclebob

unclebob Well-Known Member

I thought I would pass on something that I found last year.

Some of the new canning jars are made in china.

Think about it Made in china.
    They can't even make children’s toys without lead.
    Is that extra $2.00 off worth a risk of your food possibly sitting in a contaminated jar.

When it comes to food and family, buy USA made containers.

You will sleep better

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Is there a brand name?

3. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

Do you have a link??

4. FrostHeaves

FrostHeaves Member

I'd just check the box.

5. unclebob

unclebob Well-Known Member

The Better Homes brand was one.
    I would check every time now due to the alarming rate at which manufacturing is being relocated overseas. :gaah:

6. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

What do you care?, you get all of yours at auctions and tag sales for .02 cents ea. Mr. Free Canoe. :D:D:D:eek::ignore:

7. MrSfstk8d

MrSfstk8d Well-Known Member

LOL, yup guilty of that too. Most of my canning jars are NOT new.

8. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Yeah but the MIL will occasionally buy new ones and bring them over if she wants me to can something for her. :p

9. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Mason and Ball are one and the same..cashier pulling cases from the stock room said that is why the bar code is the same when scanning..MADE IN USA..right on the box!;)

10. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Good to know, I will start checking the box. Usually I get mine at rummage sales etc.

11. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Here we thought selling canning stuff was one good thing that Walmart actually did do...I can guess where they get theirs. That said, we also have a mess of old ones sitting around.

12. Eli-2

Eli-2 Active Member

I looked at wally world today,they have a brand called Mainstay,I believe they are made in China as well?

13. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

Walmart is the Antichrist.

14. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Agreed. Sooner or later you'll need a chip in your arm if you want to shop there.

15. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

For those interested and if this applies...Big Lots here has lots and lots of Ball/Mason canning jars...and lids...

Bowling Green, Ky.

16. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

Many times you can get items shipped to your local store from the warehouse, if you have the information on it (UPC codes etc) especially if you can guarantee the sale; I have done this a few times, but I am also friends with a few employees.

17. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Good idea..thanks.

18. azborderwatcher

azborderwatcher Member

made in china jars

Family Dollar sells real Mason Jar brand jars cheaper than the china brands at wal mart and the mason jars brand is still made in america

19. ilovetigger

ilovetigger Junior Member

I am a Big Lot fan when it comes to canning jars myself.............best prices around.

20. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Mason/Ball/Kerr/Golden Harvest are all made by Jardan out of Canada(they do have factories in the USA) as are the lids. Most of mine are old too. pass me downs and yard sale/goodwill finds.
    The better homes and gardens brand says right on it.. made in china.

I have done a bit of emailing back and forth with Jardan about their lids.. they also will not give me a straight answer on how long the lids can be stored before use or before the sealing agent will break down. they say that it is best if you get every year but that they are good for at least 5 years. I think as with everything if you can keep them dry/cool/out of oxygen the sealing agent would stay good for many years. I have old boxes that I found in the basement from when my mother canned in the 70's 80's and when I checked them out they still used rubber compond of some type.. and down in the damp basement the rubber got very brittle.. and the lids were not usable. I have boxes vacpacked in foodsaver plastic. they do have BPA in them.. they are "working" on a new formula that will not have it.. (or so they say)
    But I would prefer to still use them as most BPA leaches into foods when the food sits in tin cans lined with this. as most of my canning doesn't touch the lid I feel that my produce/sauces/tomatoes and other things I can will have far less of it than any canned items.. I must say that I try not to use any canned goods but there are a few things I still am addicted to..