War on Food

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TechAdmin, May 5, 2009.

1. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

2. HarpeR

HarpeR Guest

That's my problem with Wal-Mart. They're putting all these little mom and pop places out of buisness. I get it though, Wal-Mart's prices beat Albertson's, H.E.B.'s, and Kroger's. Looks like the grocery chains should just lower their dang prices!

3. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Remember Kent State is in the Peoples Republic of Ohio, I believe yesterday was the anniversary. What a way for the Gov to celebrate it. Lorain is right next door to me doesn't surprise me any. You should see the size of the 32 prisons we have.

4. dukman

dukman Greenhorn

Actually the problem is that Kroger and other grocery stores, even with their huge size, can't compete with Wal-Mart. Wal-Marts overhead is spread over a wide range of products. The food section doesn't make much money. Sales, yes. Profit, no. The other departments cover was they don't make in the foods. The regular everyday grocery store doesn't have the rest of the high profit items, so have to mark up on the food...

5. sailaway

Dukman, you are right Walmarts profit is spread over alot more products, however the main problem is everybody shops there. I am a Manufacturers Rep. Walmart will not work with one, they will only work directly with the manufacturer so personally I will not shop there. All everybody has to do is quit shopping there and they will come down. It's sad most people pass up quality to save a couple of cents.

6. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

Kroger is my choice. The produce and meat prices at my local Kroger are comparable to Walmart. With coupons and specials at Kroger I find I actually spend less money at Kroger. Plus the quality of the meat and produce at my local Walmart is not good.

The mom and pops still thrive at our State Farmer's Market.........we visit every month for bulk purchases of produce that will be canned or freeze dried. The money we save is worth the trip.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  7. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

as an Ohioan, & a CSA member, this fascist crap makes me wanna puke...

8. sailaway

I was an OTR truck driver, that's what Ohio is called on the CB. I'm definately not a fascist, however I do know some. Is the CSA Confederate States of America? Were you at the Civil War show in Mansfield last weekend? It was really cool! I prefer Kroger also, their prices are just as good if not better than Walmarts and Krogers quality is much better for the price. Kroger is also smaller and easier to get in and out of, much less stress full to me. Also the few times I have been in Walmart and looked around at the shoppers, I have deciced that alot of them should have had to get a liscence to breed!:eek:

9. AMEN! In my neighborhood, mom and pop stores don't even exist, but we have a huge Walmart and a Walgreens and a Smith's -- all large chains.

10. The_Blob

CSA stands for community sponsored/supported (I've seen it both ways) agriculture

11. jafl

jafl Well-Known Member

I don’t think this is really the case. The Wal-Marts that opened in my market 20 years ago had far more product variety and brand variety than today’s Wal-Marts have. But 20 years ago my local market had more than a dozen other retailers that Wal-Mart had to compete with. Now, I am thoroughly convinced that Wal-Mart demands a minimum profit on everything it sells. It if cannot make $x by selling a product, it does not stock the product. I am talking about real dollar amounts rather than percent profit. Wal-Mart wants to make a high profit by selling a few items rather than making a small profit on items that is sells a lot of.

The problem with Wal-Mart is that it operates its retail stores as warehouses. Notice how big a Wal-Mart store is and how high the shelves are. Wal-Mart intentionally buys more products than it can sell (due to breakage, spoilage or change of seasons) so it can set its own price in the wholesale market. Wal-Mart’s retail price can be lower than a competing store’s wholesale price. The mom and pops (and even many chain stores) cannot stay in business when Wal-Mart is in town without losing money.

12. jafl

jafl Well-Known Member

Your neighborhood? What’s a neighborhood? A few years ago my local news reported that it is Wal-Mart’s corporate policy to put a supercenter every 5 miles.

The history of retail trade where I have lived for my 41 year lifetime aptly reflects the devastation wrought by Wal-Mart.

Here in 1968, but out of business before Wal-Mart first opened here in 1987 (stores that I am aware of; there may be others that I am not old enough to remember):
    Grants
    Atlantic Mills
    J M Fields
    Sun Discount
    Woolco

Not here when Wal-Mart opened, entered market after Wal-Mart opened but now out of business either locally, regionally or nationally:
    Circuit City
    Drug Emporium
    Everything’s $1
    Hollywood Video
    Luria’s (like Service Merchandise, catalog sales with showroom)
    Mervyns (clothing, giftware)
    Phar-mor
    Standard Brands (appliances and electronics)
    Uptons (clothing, giftware)

Here before Wal-Mart opened but now out of business either locally, regionally or nationally:
    Diana Shop (Ladies clothing)
    Lechters (cooking/kitchen ware)
    Montgomery Ward’s (a Sears-type store that morphed into Jefferson Ward’s, a Kmart type store a few years before Wal-Mart opened)
    Pic-n-Save (general discount department store, very much like Wal-Mart)
    Revco
    Standard Sales/Leeds/Service Merchandise
    Strawberry Fields (Ladies clothing)
    TG&Y, McCrory, Murphy’s/Murphy’s Mart (same parent company)
    Western Auto
    Woolworth
    Zayer’s/Ames
    Count Sears/Kmart as loss of 1 store due to merger

Here before Wal-Mart opened, closed then reopened and closed again:
    Jefferson Ward’s returned as Montgomery Ward’s with its original format

Entered the market after Wal-Mart opened and still open:
    Big Lots/Odd Lots/McFrugal (has fewer stores now than it had at its height)
    Dollar Tree
    Target
    Best Buy
    H H Gregg
    Blockbuster
    Kohl’s (clothing, housewares, giftware)
    Beall’s/Beall’s outlet (clothing, housewares, giftware)
    Steinmart (clothing, housewares, giftware)

Here when Wal-Mart opened and still here:
    Sears/Kmart
    Wallgreens
    Eckerd’s Drugs/CVS
    J C Penney’s

Specialty stores (compete with Wal-Mart in a limited number of product categories) that have opened since the 1st Wal-Mart and still open:
    Michael’s Craft and Decorating
    A.C. More (only 1 store for a metropolitan area of 1,000,000+ people)
    Garden Ridge (only 1 local location, but next to a locally owned craft supply store that has recently closed after being in business for 30+ years)
    Bed Bath and Beyond

Specialty stores open before Wal-Mart but now closed:
    Old America Store (general arts and craft and home décor)
    Wacamaw (arts and craft, home décor, kitchenware).
    Linens n Things

Upscale stores, not direct competitors with Wal-Mart:
    Still present:
    Ivey’s/Dillards
    May Cohens/Maison Blanche/Gayfers/Belk

Out of business
    Furchgott’s
    Jacobsen’s

13. Ponce

Ponce Well-Known Member

The dollar store makes money......why? simple, hundred and hundred of them get together to buy at a rock bottom price and the moms and pops should do the same, all that they have to do is to get organized.

At first it would be hard to do so but as time goes by they will be able to even get lower prices and do as Walt Mart are doing by having their own factories in China.........live and learn.

14. jafl

jafl Well-Known Member

What if the existing chain stores have made agreements with the existing manufacturers/importers whereby the manufacturers/importers are prohibited from selling to anyone but the existing chain stores? I don’t know if this has actually happened, but I wouldn’t put it past Wal-Mart to try. Wal-Mart has already gone to some manufacturers and demanded that they produce a lower-quality product at a price that meets Wal-Mart’s profit requirements. And when Wal-Mart is the biggest seller for a manufacturer’s products the manufacturer has no choice but comply, shutdown or go bankrupt- as is the case with Rubbermaid and Vlassic.

15. The_Blob

Levi's & BMX definitely made lower quality products to, in fact they had to 'farm out' to lesser manufacturers to make their contractual obligations, which is a major reason these companies get chewed up & spit out... they have to fulfill their 'deal with the devil', these contracts are such that IMO a death-row inmate wouldn't sign them but the chance to make so much money (overall) off one client must've been too tempting. Wal-Mart contracts have these 2 caveats included (that I know):

purchase price will decrease by xx% per year after the initial year (with inflation I don't see how THAT can work for more than 2 years... I have NO idea)

any unsold items will be bought back by the manufacturer (... WTF? ...)

sooooo... if some 'buyer' a-hole decides that mauve beach umbrellas with green & yellow polka dots will be 'the thing' this year & orders 50,000 of them & they manage to sell 7 of them (THAT's optimistic :rolleyes: ) the manufacturer has to buy back 49,993 of them at FULL cost... again WTF?

pretty sick

the only reason I know this is because the local pizzeria was approached by Wal-Mart & they were promising all sorts of things, such as offering to build a facility/factory to 'make' frozen pizza with his recipe... :rolleyes:

He didn't take the deal, for many reasons, pretty strong guy IMO.

16. waynemart

waynemart Waynemart

If you want to see the mom & pop stores protected, go to New Zealand. Large food chain stores are not allowed. You will find your canned goods in one store, milk down the street, vegies further down, etc..... If you didn't like the prices in one place, you could drive across town to check out another. When I lived there in the 80's it would take my wife all day to shop for our weekly stash of groceries. She was exhausted by the time she got home. Yes, the system protects the little people, but at the inconvience of the consumer.

17. Ponce

Ponce Well-Known Member

You know how the $ store stays in business?.........they have reps who buy items for 50,000 stores at the same time so that the prices are very low.

All this big stores should do the same, unite and buy by the lot in order to get low prices like Wal-Mart.

18. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

Well, Wal Mart just opened a new store in a Liberty, a small town just north of my city of Youngstown. Liberty, Ohio is thrilled to have Wal Mart in town. Why? Because they built the store in a section of town on Belmont Ave. that has been suffering economically for years. The restaurants and other businesses along the Belmont Strip are already seeing increased business because of Wal Mart being there. People go to Wal Mart, then see other places like Uptown Pizza or Youngstown Crab Company and say "Hey why don't we stop and get something to eat?" Around here, this works. It worked south of here in Salem too. I know everyone loves to hate on Wal Mart, but where I live Wal Mart is a blessing and we're happy to have them here.

19. sailaway

On the north side of SR 5 where the new Walmart is is quite nice, but on the south side of 5 where the old businesses are such as that DIY Store it still looks blighted. Hopefully it will clean up also. I don't see why these superstores don't rehab exhisting properties like south of SR 5. There is too much urban sprawl, however that has made deer hunting better.:ignore:

20. SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc Well-Known Member

Throw in The Animal Id Act, and a new $500 dollar tax on food producers and that makes my small garden and egg laying uneconomical. If you must rely on others for your daily bread, you are at their mercy.