Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
BillM
2,002 Posts
Police codes

I agree with what BCZ said. The FRS/GMRS radios will probably do okay but don't get excited about the advertised range. The only time I've got even near those ranges is when it was from one ridgetop to another. They are pretty much line of sight. The bad thing is that many of them have scanners and will pick up your transmission frequency in a heartbeat. They won't be able to talk back unless they have your privacy code but they can listen in easily. Mst crooks aren't that astute though.

We've had very good luck with Motorola. The units we own that were made by Cobra are junk.

You can also get small CB units from radio shack. They seem to have a better range but cost more. If you want to go "whole hog" get your Ham radio license. They're the best by far. Our hand-held units were about $100 each and we easily have a 20 mile range with them at 5 watts power. (Unless someone parked a mountain between us!)
If I was going to use Walkie Talkies to communicate with a pardner , I would assume that someone was going to overhear my transmission.

When I was a Deputy Sheriff, we used police codes. Everyone is familiar with police codes now but you can work out your own codes that you and your pardner can use to convey various messages. They could be as simple as
a number code , such as.

code 1 = Come eat

code 2 = well everyone knows what number two is. You get the idea !

You can even use code names for members of the famiely.

I'm Lone Wolf ! My wife is Lone Sheep !

1 - 1 of 1 Posts