Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volunteers - Where did they go??? Now, as a volunteer in my area I can say ... but the "big boys and girls' don't what to hear ... (how sad)

As a volunteer firefighter this hit hard at the heart... I do understand but at the same time well 'it's just not right'

With that said I see it coming to my own house very soon... our own rescue squad has now gone 'soft billing' and a combo fire department is well on the the way.(I just see it)

What ever has happened to the bucket brigade?

No pay, no spray: Firefighters let home burn - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
I'm trying to not judge anyone on this article. Our son is a volunteer fireman and they've sent them home on calls because an accident or fire was just across the county line even though they were almost there and it would take thirty minutes for the trucks to arrive from the other direction. Occassionally they'll ignore the recall and go anyway but it could cause problems for them if anything ever went wrong.

It might be interesting to hear the "rest of the story" on this one!

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Hmmmm

Volunteer ??? I got boozed up when I was 17...got in a big brawl, got my ass kicked and woke up in the Marines.... I don't care for the word...

Follow your heart not the rules... sometimes the rule book is just wrong...

Had a buddy, long dead now but he always said if it's right do it, if it's true, say it... guess you can't go wrong with that thought... you won't be real popular but.. you can sleep well!

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Had a buddy, long dead now but he always said if it's right do it, if it's true, say it... guess you can't go wrong with that thought... you won't be real popular but.. you can sleep well!
if LIGHTLY... ;) :D

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keith Olbermann, blames the house fire in Tennessee on the Tea Party ... :scratch

It might be interesting to hear the "rest of the story" on this one! - I agree.

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
They didn't pay their $75 for fire protection (an insurance of sorts).

If you didn't pay your homeowners or auto insurance, why would you expect them to pay for your damages. No payment = no insurance.

I don't fault any of the firemen on the scene. They're just doing as they're told. They would be assuming all the risk and liability for doing anything as they're effectively out of their jurisdiction.

If they put that fire out, all would know that if you don't pay, you still get coverage. How many do you think would pay next year? Then who's going to pay for the trucks and services? That equipment isn't cheap...

I'll bet there's a flood of checks coming into that fire department right now. All those that hadn't paid their $75 may be having second thoughts.

That said, I would have a policy change. If you didn't pay your $75, we'll put your fire out, but, the fee is now $10,000.

·
NREMT-P
31 Posts
Torn

OK I am a little torn on this one. As I was a paid fire/medic and a volunteer fire/medic and I am now a paid ghetto medic I can see all sides. I think the anger needs to be put on the city/county council for not letting their citizens not have fire coverage. More than likely not the Fire Chief has no say in the way this is handled. A fire department and its equipment are paid for by a certain city/county's taxes. If you live outside of that areas tax district then you don't get coverage. I could get into a conversation about mutual aid but that is a long story. I know this isn't very popular but its the truth. If you live in an area where you have to pay for fire coverage pay it or you don't have it. You knew this when you bought your land. I hate to see anyone lose everything because of a structure fire but there are facts that have to be faced.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do agree with the anger going the city/county council.

I also known that after 9/11 grants were put out there for fire departments. So someone at the city/county council must have been asleep at the wheel, if they didn't go for them.

I guess the whole thing for me ... is how in the year 2010, can we not have basic fire service for some district? (It just blows my mind)

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Yep, the grants are out there, but our volunteer fire department has had trouble jumping through all the hoops to get them.

In order to get a new truck, they had to decommision and sell two older ones. They weren't allowed to donate the older ones to smaller, less-equipped rural fire departments. And when they sold them, they weren't allowed to be sold to or used as fire fighting. That sure limited what they could do with them.

They applied for a grant for new turn-outs (coats, pants, etc.), which they need badly, and instead were given a grant for new radios, which they DIDN'T need. And you HAVE to buy what they tell you it's for.

On and on the silliness goes.

A lot of areas here have no fire protection. Our whole huge area is protected by 5 guys, including our 20-year old son, who are volunteers. They get called out at any hour of the day or night and drop what they're doing and go. There's no re-imbursement for their gas. It's 7 miles from here to the fire department for our son, even farther for some of the other guys. 3 miles of ours is a very rough dirt road. How fast do you think their response time is!

Beyond their boundaries are many more houses that have no rural or volunteer fire departments to come to their aid. More than once our son's department has been almost in sight of a car wreck and they were ordered to turn back because they were at the edge of the district. Sometimes they pretend they don't hear the dispatcher and they keep going. They need special permission to proceed.

A lot of silly politics, and a lot of things that have evolved because of the litigatious society we have become. You risk being sued "if you do" and "if you don't".
'
Hard, sometimes, to make the call.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
I just started my Essentials of Firefighting training today and this was talked about. The general consensus was pretty much what's been said here, with a couple people saying they'd put the fire out anyway. I honestly don't know what I'd do. I'd like to think I'd put it out or at least try. The problem there is if you hurt one of your guys (gender neutral-even a 19 year old prissypants girl can prove herself in the fire service to become one of "the guys", and in our area, many of them have) you've disobeyed a direct order so now it's your a$$ on the line.

On happier note-of maybe 25 people in the class, I bet 15 were less than 20 years old, and a few weren't even 18 yet. It may be smaller than it was, but the volunteer spirit is still alive and well. The instructor made a big deal about the kids showing up at 8:30 on a Sunday morning and thanked them for caring enough to come out and learn. It's going to be over 200 hours of training spread out over most of the winter and I'm really looking forward to it. The last 24 hours are hazmat training and structural burn classes where you actually fight a fire in a burning house that's donated for the purpose.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Kudos to you, Jason, for taking the firefighting training!

My son was 16 when he joined as a junior volunteer. He's 21 now. Still loves it, even when he gets calls in the middle of a snowy, freezing night, or during a family barbeque in the summer, or when he's at the movies with his friends. Off he goes!

Good luck in your training!

·
22 Posts
Its nice to hear good things about the new generation. I've been a volunteer firefighter for over 40 yrs and know how difficult it is to get people to stop what they are doing any time day or night and help someone with a problem. Volunteer firefighters can't be thanked enough for what they do. Please tell your local firefighters how much you appreciate the time and effort they put into helping their local community.

Been there done that.

PS. Be sure and tell your local officals about the time and effort of the local firefighters!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts