Visiting Canada

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by SurvivalNut, Feb 3, 2011.

1. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

Will be driving to Edmonton, AB Canada when the weather gets nicer. Plan to spend a day or 2 at the mall and ignore the outside world for a while.

Is there a local antique or arts district I heard about?

On the prep side (yeah, always thinking that)

Someone we knew years ago used to bring a bread mix to the USA, a kind of pre-mixed powder, way back then it was an interesting item--any ideas what it was?

Any other cool prep items I should look for on the other side to stock up and bring home?

Oh, and back on topic--what to see and do in AB. We are driving from Spokane driving thru Calgary and Red Deer.

2. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

There are lots of museums on the number 2 hiway coridor Google "travel alberta" and look for museums etc. When is your trip planned?? If in winter watch the drivers on the number 2 near the big cities they get stupid and crash when it snows cause they won't adjust for additional time.
    Will ad more later :wave:

3. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I can tell you a bit about Calgary - how much time would you like to spend in each city (and we gotta do a beer, eh?), when will you be here (time-of-year) and are there any types of activities that you enjoy doing?

If you are wanting to go shopping for cool little knick-knacks, the CrossRoads FleaMarket is kinda cool - some homemade stuff, leather workers, knitters, metal-workers hang out there (both art and functional) on weekends. It is also a farmer's market where I get my local honey, farm-fresh eggs (most of the time still with straw attached) and there are a couple of great bakeries there.

If you wanna see some local history, then visiting our Heritage Village is fun to do - candy-store, old buildings, old-train, paddle-wheeler, etc. A great way to waste a day. If you like museums, then the Glenbow Museum gets the nod or if you are into things military, then The Museum of the Regiments is cool with lots of "life-like" displays setup. If you like airplanes, we also have the Aerospace Museum that is nice to visit. Near the Aerospace Museum is one of Calgary's two HarleyDavidson shops (just incase you need some Harley-gear).

If you like to X-country-ski, DownHill (snowboard) or snowshoe - let me know and I have a way to keep you busy for another day. I am black-diamond rated on all-four main winter self-propelled sports, so, whatever your skill level, I should be able to play keepup.

If SaskBound finds this message, she might be able to help guide ya in the RedDeer realm. I have only visited RD for scheduled events (like the [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-0QGcDAP5w"]OffRoad Expo[/ame]).

4. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

Lots of museums and of course if you really want to waste your time the Calgary stampede in July , what kind of history are you looking for ?? dinosaur museum in Drumheller, some historical mining stuff there too. really good transportation/machinery museum at wetaskawin .