Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
a dude
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm figuring that there will be situations when we will be faced with problems and there won't be the Rule of Law, however, we might later be facing courts staffed by people who are making decisions about our actions in air conditioned offices, with full stomachs, feeling safe and having come to work after a full night of sleep, in contrast to the environment post disaster. This happened to folks who made snap decisions in the wake of Katrina in New Orleans and can happen to all of us.

What will most of us fall back upon for our criteria for use of force?

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
Protecting home and family from those that would attempt cause us harm.
Sounds like a good plan to me. Doesn't mean I'm going to wait until they shoot first then shoot back. They just have to have desire and ability to inflict harm. At that point they're fair game.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Worrying about the reaction of the very people who were instermental in causing the problems that have led to the crumbling of society while trying to defend your loved ones is counterproductive, The little game of "wait for the authorities" gets a little old when facing down invaders,
The "law" should be checking into why they failed to protect the people who were invaded.
Home invasions are getting more and more common place because the cowards who do them are sure the Sheeple on the otherside of the door are more scared than they are.
The stupidest part is Leo s put their lives in danger to protect, only to have the "legal" system let the criminal element thru the revolving door to do it again.
:scratch
If you have to use deadly force to protect your loved ones (and this means your supplies,SHTF) make sure to use it all the way

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
That’s my plan also. That and having a corner of the garden available for extra fertilizer so that no one is the wiser. Nothing odd about a freshly tilled plot with newly planted seeds.

My Dad, when teaching me about firearms said, “Never point a gun at anyone, but if you do make sure it is loaded and be willing to pull the trigger.”

·
414 Posts
Use of force is differant in Canada with so few guns compared to the USA .
I will protect family but would prefer to blend in. the fact that few know about our prepping up is good, I have already thought about it and with 9 of us in house someone will always be up and ready. I want us to appear as needy as anyone else, and of course the women and children stay indoors.
Kinda of blending in with the masses seem like u have nothing so why would u be attcked. If i am attacked we will defend. Why waste resources if it is a long drawn out SHTF I will need my resources for survival.
Just my .02
L8R RR

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
it's easier to beat a manslaughter rap than it is to pay someone damages they're/you're whole life... just sayin' :rolleyes: ;)

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
Kinda hard ta prosecute a case if there ain't no evidence!:dunno:

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
"Use of force is differant in Canada with so few guns compared to the USA ."
Use of force has nothing to do with the availability of guns. It has everything to do with force. Empty hands, knife, gun, bat, car, it doesn't matter. As long as you are within your rights and using the force to protect yourself or another person.

In NJ those people sitting in air conditioned offices are required to consider the situation. Meaning they must put themselves in the person's shoes. How would a reasonable person with similar training and experience act in the same situation with the same information available at the time. Meaning if a person points a toy gun at you and you shoot him, it would be a reasonable response because you had no way of knowing at the time that the gun was a toy even though it was later discovered that it was a toy. Every state has different laws.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
SurviveNthrive, I like how you get us thinking. You've started some great threads! Thanks!

Regarding your original question here, I guess I'd use force if the government has collapsed beyond repair or recovering, AND if my life or the lives of my family were at stake.

Even now, if someone burst in our door waving a gun, I'd be going for mine. Not sure at what point I'd pull the trigger. I'd have to really believe it was life or death, but make no mistake about it, I WOULD pull the trigger.

·
Noob
764 Posts
I never served in the military or been a LEO, but I think I can do what needs to be done. One thing for sure is there will only be one side of the story...

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
If someone breaks through my door I don't need to wait to see him wave a gun or any other weapon. In NJ, in your home you only need to be in fear for the safety of your family to take action. There is no need to wait to see a weapon or even worse wait until it is pointed at you. My advice is do not wait, especially in your home. Do you think that POS cares about waiting? I hope you pull the trigger right away.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
This is not a new or a future problem

When in the line of duty a LEO has to shoot, he usually has at most a couple of seconds to make the choice to shot or not... But regardless , the Lawyers always have months and months to prepare a case against the Officer.... and to twist things to fit their version..

Case in point young Marine lit up a wounded fighter in Iraq.. TV camera filmed it... then the film was used to try to put him in prison.. a Military court found him Not guilty last I heard.. but yet his actions were in the heat of battle and he reacted as trained..

Moral of the story...If you have to shoot there should be only one person testifying to the jury.."YOU"!... also reporters should have an open season on them.. they are scumbags as much as lawyers or is it..Lieyers..

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
Do what you feel is right. I don't want to be the guy caught on camera standing over a wounded man and firing several rounds into his chest to execute him so he can't testify. The reporters and lawyers will be having a field day, but it won't be on him.

"shoot to stop", "double tap", "keep pulling the trigger until they stop moving toward" are all fine advise, but be careful how you word your advise. Don't get me wrong, I agree with your point, but I would never word it like that. You need to be in immanent fear for yourself or someone else to use force. If the fight is over, than the fight is over or else you will become the bad guy.

God forbid that you had to use force and the other side walked into court with a print out of this thread in their hands.
"So, Mr. Buck 15 years ago you wrote ...."

·
Shoots to Thrill
125 Posts
If I catch someone unaware (they are not acting agressively toward me or my loved ones, not purposely trespassing on my property as such), they get exactly one fair warning, whether verbal or the sound of me pumping the shotgun or locking and loading. If they turn away, at worst they will get a warning shot (depending on whether they are trying to carry something away with them or not). If they turn toward me and become agressive or reach for/raise a weapon, it's over. If they respond respectfully like a decent human being (polite), I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, while remaining on guard. Maybe we can work something out. It would be desperate times, so who knows for sure...

·
Registered
983 Posts
If someone is breaking in my door, I would have to believe they were there to do harm. Shoot first ask questions later. If someone is plundering thru our stuff outside, I would let them hear me pumping the shotgun, I would not speak because I think they would hear the fear in my voice. Who knows how any of us would react?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts