Vermont dairy farmer fighting federal land grab

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by rhrobert, May 17, 2010.

1. rhrobert

rhrobert Happy in the hills

2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Lets get a copy of the story here for others to read quickly and easily

3. NaeKid

I have a question for those in that general area ... does the farm reside on both sides of the Canadian / American border, and, if so, does the farmer (and their associates) require a stamp on their passport everytime that they cross to the north-side and back again to the south-side of the border as they drive their farm machinery to take care of their farm, land and animals?

Will the farmer need to pay taxes to the Canadian government with regards to the amount of money made on the northern side of the border?

4. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

See, Eminent Domain is a tricky subject. The government has the right to take anything they want through eminent domain, but thanks to the 5th amendment they must give you compensation for it.

So either he sells the land or they send him a check and take it.

You need to understand that Eminent Domain allows the government to take any land for government or public use, supplies needed during wartime, contract rights, patents, copyrights, etc. They can even take sports teams if they want to. They could take your house to board troops if they wanted.

It is all legal as long as they pay you for it. It's in the constitution. You can't only defend the parts you want like the freedom of speech or the right to bear arms. It's a package deal.

5. NaeKid

Now - who is to determine what is a reasonable payment for the rights? Can the current owner determine the value? Can the current owner of the land "rent" the portion out to the government at a rate that will allow the farm to continue, or, can the government "trade" land-for-land and give them the means to continue their business with little impact on their business?

Here in Alberta, the government can "take land" but the compensation does not always need to be in cash-funds. If the government takes away the ability to earn money, the government pays out that amount yearly to the owners - kind of like a rental agreement.

If the owners decide to sell out, the next owner is not allowed to claim that "missing section" of land, it reverts directly to the government at that time.

6. allen_idaho

Here in the US, the value is usually valued per square foot for vacant land. This includes fields. Structures are appraised differently.

They are currently offering just shy of $40,000 for less than 5 acres. To me, that is a hell of a deal. Here in Idaho, you could get between 5-20 acres for that price depending on the location.

7. TommyJefferson

TommyJefferson Living the American Dream

The buyer does.

Not so good a deal for the seller, eh? :D

I wish I could do that the next time I buy a piece of land.

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I believe they go by "fair market value" at the time of the sale/seizure/whatever you want to call it, but I'm not sure I'm right and am not going to sit here on my dialup connection all morning to look it up. Anyway, as someone who has lived on a farm all my life I can't believe that 5 acres would make or break a 220 acre operation. We milked cows from 1928 to 2000 and had to quit because we were a small farm and the last one around making milk and no milk haulers would come pick up our milk. My dad and I now both work for the same environmental remediation company and still do farming on the side. It's tough to get everything done but we have evolved (survived?) the change thrust upon us and excelled. Now we have a steady paycheck, good benefits, and we don't have to work on Christmas. There are things that don't get done on the farm now, and I wish to God we could still be milking, I really do, but we can't and that's pretty much all there is to it. Do you grovel and sob, or do you stand up and shine? Milk prices are volatile-it's sold per hundredweight (100 lbs, usually abbreviated cwt) and it weighs 8.6 pounds per gallon. At anywhere from $12 to $20 per hundredweight it's almost impossible to plan for the future. We always ran old junk equipment because Dad was (rightly) afraid to go into debt on machinery because he might not make next month's payment. Now we have a bright green tractor with an air conditioned, heated cab that he was able to save up and pay cash for.

Point is-the way farmers are treated is a crime. That said, it is what it is, so either make do or move on. I can say that because I did it. My son will still grow up on a farm. Not milking cows, but he'll learn the same values. Sometimes we all have to evolve, not just farmers. Many businesses are feeling the pinch.

Just my 2 cents...

9. allen_idaho

This was in the news again a couple days ago. They decided it wasn't worth the fight and backed off. So the farmers get to keep the land.

10. NaeKid

Good to hear!

Let the farmers do what they need to do, and the border-guys can make do with what they have available.

11. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Good to hear the little guy get one every now and then. The amount of money was for land not for the lifetime of hay and grazing that the land would have provided. I,am glad for them and that they stuck to the guns on this one. Good for them. :2thumb:

12. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

Its about time the Gov. backed down. :2thumb: I hate to say it, but the goverment has to know the bad guys don't use the boarder crossing to come in to the US. Hello!:rolleyes: They need more eyes between the crossings. There are places all over Vermont all you have to do is step one foot and your in Canada. Some of the houses are half in Canada and half in the US. In the front door out the back door and your in the US.:scratch

13. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I bet Ben & Jerry got involved!:D:eek:

14. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I'm happy to hear they get to keep everything. I stand by my earlier comments about dealing with what situations are handed you, but at the same time I'm glad they don't have to lose the ground. It's tough to restrategize any business and a farm's no different. Kudos to that family for just having the stones to stay in the dairy business in this day and age.