Vampires

Discussion in 'General Homesteading & Building' started by *Andi, Apr 25, 2010.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Gross! Yuck! Nasty!

TICKS!!!!!!!!!! :gaah:

The little blood suckers are thick this year! I'm about ready to axe my guineas for not doing their JOB!!!!! One would think with the winter we had some of them would have been killed off. :gaah:

2. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

I don't mean to laugh, but thats to funny. Please don,t hurt the guineas. I think animals and insects alike are adapting to the earths changes faster then we are. (It is wise to watch nature and pull ones socks up):D

3. Seneschal

Seneschal Crazy snake chick

Lol, the title had me going "Whaaat in the world??? Twilight fans?! THEY INVADE EVERYWHERE."

In retrospect, it was about the same reaction you had to the ticks...

In any case, vampires: sucky things all around. We're already getting a bunch of 'skeeters.

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Littlebit - You sound like my dad ... when nature speaks, one should listen.
    and it wouldn't hunt to pull ones socks up. :D

Seneschal - No Twilight fan (but my girls loved it. lol) skeeters :eek: We have not had a big problem with 'those blood suckers' ... We have a large group of bats that live in the ol dairy barn (down the road) and they keep them in check. :2thumb:

But I do feel your pain ... I remember the skeeters from S.C. they were huge! (makes me itch just thinking about them :eek:)

5. Seneschal

Haha, we have some bats too, but there's only so much they can do considering we live surrounded by swamp!

6. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I only have had problems with leaches and skeeters around here. The city did a good thing a few years back - they decided to quit spraying skeeter-killer and instead spend the money on dragon-flys. The dragon-fly population has seriously controlled the population of skeeters.

I only wish that the city had the dragon-flys before I was WestNile'd :cry:

7. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

The ticks are out in force here already. My two dogs have already brought in four of the little buggers. So I got them some anti tick ointment. Seems to be working pretty well.

Did you know that ticks are attracted to the Carbon Dioxide that you exhale? I learned that recently.

8. NaeKid

I heard that carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas - so - maybe we should all stop exhaling carbon dioxide, eh? :wave:

9. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

10. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Chiggers and blackberry picking go hand in hand around here. :surrender:

There are more vampire critters out there than I was thinking. :eek: lol

11. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

There are places on lakes around here where the leeches have become an issue. I hate them most of all.

12. Seneschal

Oh, ew, leeches? How do you deal with them if/when you get one attached to you? I've heard they can be hard to get off.

13. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

My great grandfather used to keep leeches in case anyone needed to be bled. I am so glad I never had to meet him!

14. Seneschal

:eek: I am so glad I wasn't born back when leeches were commonly used in medicine as a cure-all...

15. NaeKid

I have used a stick from a tree, a "sun-hot" thin rock, chop-sticks ... just stuff to make it want to release. If you have salt handy, that also works to make it release.

16. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Well there's always the old Grunt trick of using the lit cigarette.. but in this day and age may be hard to find... But back in the day!! :D

As for ticks... I must have something in me because ticks will crawl right across me to jump on somebody else...

I do not feel slighted...

On the other hand, they did have some old time uses..same with maggots... I never understood the " bleeding" thing tho...

another thing about tobacco, a bit of it in the palm of your hand, spit on it and mulch it and put it on a bee or wasp sting, stops the pain right now...

17. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

My son had a tick on his scalp when we were at a friends house. She put a drop of peppermint oil on the tick, it backed out almost instantly.

18. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Cool ... I will have to remember that.

19. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Last summer we were walking a trail; along a small lake up near Lake Pymatuning in NW PA and we found a young turtle with a leech stuck to its shell! I was really surprised that it could penetrate the shell. And why did it go that route rather than just crawl under to the belly?

Naekid-my Aunt's sister (probably late 50/early 60s age range) got the West Nile last fall from a mosquito when she visited one of the Carolinas. I forget exactly where she went. Anyway, she came close to death-they couldn't figure out what the heck was the matter with her for a couple days. It's been many months and she's still not quite right. She gets tired easily, moves slowly, and is very self conscious because she speaks very slowly now. I know you said it took you a LONG time to totally recover and you are young and healthy.

For older folks (or anyone, really)living around bugs who carry West Nile, it's worth learning about.

20. NaeKid

It is almost 4 years now since I was WestNile'd and I am still not the same as I was before being bitten, but, I am able to function fairly normally now. I still get tired quicker than I used to, I need to take more breaks in a day than I used to, I spend more time on the couch or in the tub than I used to, I can't dance the night away like I used to, but, when I dance, I give it my all.

I do realize that I am 4 years older and things do change, but, damn, I have never heard of anyone my age becomming an 80-year-old because of a damn bite. Oh ya - if anyone cares, I am not quite 40 yet.