Vacuum Sealing

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by FermenterZym, Apr 11, 2011.

1. FermenterZym

FermenterZym Member

I am looking into starting to vacuum seal some soaked and then dehydrated sunflower and pumpkin seeds. I was wondering about how long these seeds would last when properly vacuum sealed.

2. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I just have to ask! What are you soaking the sunflower seed for before vac-packing?

3. MrSfstk8d

MrSfstk8d Well-Known Member

From the user name, I'm guessing you're trying to get a jump start on the malting process. Is this correct? I'm curious if this is such a good idea though. I know from reading on the chemistry of malting barley for fermentation there is a rigorous art and science on how the a-anylase and b-anylase enzymes do their flavorful magic on the complex carbohydrates in the delicious little seedy beauties. I wonder though if jump starting those enzymes, and then halting the process through dehydration, would adversely affect the end result. Will some of the enzymes still keep kicking, albeit at a much slower rate, and change the product? It's actually quite an interesting idea. I'd be delighted to see what this experiment yields. Time of storage and moisture content at packing time should affect things too, obviously. Also, what differences would you net with aerobic vs. anaerobic storage of the dried stuffs prior to further post processing? Hmm, the mind boggles with chemistry and zymergy.... I say give it a go and see what happens!!

4. FermenterZym

FermenterZym Member

Although that is a really cool experiement, MrS, that wasn't my intention. I wanted to soak and dehydrate them because seeds and other grains naturally have an enzyme inhibitor called phytic acid that is harmful to mammalian digestion, but soaking and dehydrating lessens this chemical. I thought it may be best to soak and dehydrate before sealing because water may be scarce in an emergency situation and using it to scarce seeds would seem rather wasteful.

If you can't answer my question specifically, do you know how long raw dry sunflower seeds would stay fresh vacuum sealed?