vacuum sealer help needed

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by CrackbottomLouis, Jan 7, 2013.

1. CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis Winston Smith Sent Me

Looking for one online. Dont know which one to get. Saw the Rival vacuum sealer and price seemed right but hate to go cheap on items I plan to use alot. Comments suggestions?

2. Davarm

Davarm Texan

I have the "Food Saver" V2220, have had it for a few years and haven't had any issues with it. It uses either 11" or 8" inch bags and has a port for a jar sealer.

I dont think that model is available anymore but a similar one is the V2244.

http://www.foodsaver.com/product.aspx?pid=9902

The one I had before the V2220 was a Rival. It croaked because I let a bit of liquid be sucked up into the vacuum pump and that was the end of it but I had no issues with it up to the time I let that happen.

3. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

A big thing to consider would be supplies. Where can you get the bags (or bag material) for the different sealers? I can get the FoodSaver products at my grocery store or at a Walmart - the other company names are harder for me to get. Just something to consider.

Like Dave, I also have a FoodSaver. I got my current one off Amazon - it's a really, really basic one. Found I didn't need (or even want) the bells and whistles that come on some of the other models.

4. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

I just got the Foodsaver V3440 for Christmas and I love it. Works great and came with some nice accessories. It also lets you use a variety of bags and canisters, like one that allows you to vacuum seal things in recycled jars (like pickle jars). The Foodsaver portion control bags are perfect for sealing up smaller items. Since it was a gift I did not pick it out, my wife did. But she said the reviews were very positive, her friends who have vacuum sealers recommended it and she said the same thing that Goshengirl said; bags and supplies were readily available locally (but cheaper online). I am sure there are many other awesome vacuum sealers out there, but I am definitely enamored with Foodsaver.

[​IMG]

5. smaj100

smaj100 Jack of Alot, Master of Few........

I also recently found the 11" expandable bags at my local rural king. These come in very handy for bulky items as you can seal one end expand the bag to fit almost anything and then simply fold the other end back up and seal it too.

I was able to seal up rice, beans, etc in 5 gallon buckets using these bags instead of mylar.

We have a pretty old foodsaver model, but it still does the job and has the port for vacuum sealing lids onto jars. We also have several of the vacuum seal containers from foodsaver (I think we got them at walmart) for when we open the big packages of rice, beans etc to keep it as fresh as possible as long as possible.

6. invision

invision Supporting Member - Crazy Huh?

I have this same model, have had it for 8 months now and it is rock solid... The bags can be cut down in size, you can also get containers with lids, etc... Great buy...

7. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

We bought a set of plastic canisters that are made for the food saver.
    Every one of them cracked within a few months.
    We use the jar sealer and it works great.

8. k0xxx

k0xxx Supporting Member

We have an old Food Saver that we've owned for about 15 years, and it's still going strong. However, last year we purchased a Weston Pro 2300, and it is a great machine. It does automatic sealing, but also has a manual mode that lets you control just how much vacuuming is done so you can vacuum things like bread without crushing them. It was a good bit more expensive, but it has proven to be worth the extra cost.

9. CrackbottomLouis

Im hearing foodsaver a lot.

10. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

I get the impression that Weston is to the food sealer world what Excalibur is to the dehydrating world. Do they have attachments to use with mason jars?

11. Marcus

Marcus Texian

I have a Foodsaver Series 2200. I went with it over the more automated 3400 Series since it gives me more control of the process plus it was cheaper.

12. Dixie

Dixie Well-Known Member

I had a rival years ago...no comparison to the Foodsaver!
    (in fact, my first reaction to your post was: NO, NO, NO don't do it, lol)
    Save yourself the flustration and get a Foodsaver.

13. CrackbottomLouis

Thanks, thats why I figured Id ask.

14. k0xxx

k0xxx Supporting Member

No, they do not have the jar attachments (at least I have never seen them). I've heard that there is a way to use the food saver jar attachments with it, but since I still have the food saver, I never looked into it. I may have check the next time we use it. I'll report back when I do.

15. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

I am a little confused here. I have an automated Foodsaver V3440, but I can control the process as well and stop the vacuum suction and have it seal any time I want too. I have little experience with these so maybe I am missing something here.

16. partdeux

partdeux Senior Member

We buy the bags in bulk on ebay. FAR FAR less expensive.

Vacuum sealers will have a tendency to get blocked by food particles. Ours stopped working, and we bought a new one. Before I ever opened the package, I decided to try and fix it. It literally has a tiny rubber valve, not unlike a 2 cycle carb. Little piece of debris gets stuck and it will no longer pull a vacuum. I've taken it apart a couple of times, and last time looked at it wondering if maybe a small amount of hot water poured through it would clean it out. Don't know haven't tried it yet.

17. machinist

machinist Rest In Peace

We have a Foodsaver brand unit, the manual kind. I am less than impressed with the process. We have been unable to seal any kind of meat products with it, because of it sucking the juice out of the meat and preventing the plastic from melting/sealing.

The only way we have been able to seal meats is to freeze them first in a ziplock baggie and then remove the ziplock bag and put it in the sealer type bag. Not an efficient process.

Similiar problem with anything remotely dusty. It may TRY to seal, but it leaks, or doesn't stick at all.

We have had some success sealing dry beans, peas, and lentils in jars using the Foodsaver brand jar attachments. Generally, the regular size lids work about half the time, but only if we boil the lids first to soften the sealing rubber. You can forget using wide mouth lids. We have never successfully sealed any jar with a wide mouth lid. Oh, it pulls the vacuum, shuts off and all, then when you remove the vac attachment, the lid comes off with it. EVERY TIME. Useless.

Some types of jars do not fit the jar attachment, if the ridge below the threads is not the right size.

The vac sealing machine is a REAL PAIN TO CLEAN. Get some meat juice in it, and you get to tear the thing apart to get it all out. Not fun, and not reccomended.

Did I say say I despise this thing? In just a few words:

IT SUCKS, in more ways than one. :mad: Anybody wanna buy a barely used Foodsaver? Going cheap. If you make it fast, before I take a ball pein hammer to the thing.

Here's a review from someone else on Wal Mart's site:
    "This product does not preform as advertised, any moister in the bag after vacuuming will not allow the bags to seal, you will have to reseal the bags so it takes a lot of time to use this machine. I called customer care and was told that's the way it is so I would have to just reseal when I have any moister in the bag... I do not recommend buying this product."

I guess I'm not the only one who had these problems. Don't buy one.

18. smaj100

smaj100 Jack of Alot, Master of Few........

Machinist,

There are some limitations to the machines. I do understand your frustration. I spent 1/2 day trying to seal and package a full side of beef a few years back that we bought and couldn't figure out why my seals wouldnt hold, until I broke my man rule and read the manual. It is recommended to partially freeze any meat product to prevent the juice from blocking the seal. I prefer now to make my bags and place the meat in them, and stand them in the freezer for 1-1.5hrs. Once they are kinda crunchy not frozen solid, I start taking them out a few at a time and sealing them.

As far as dusty items, your best bet is to not pull a full vacumn, but as soon as the package starts to draw down hit the manual button. I recently bagged up several 25lb bags of flour, and even if you let it go full automatic, I pull the bag out wipe down the inside after the new seal and then do a manual seal after that to try and maintain the seal. It maybe overkill for most things but I tend to double seal all my bags at both ends.

Hope that helps.

19. machinist

machinist Rest In Peace

It's one heck of a lot easier to leak some Mig gas into a bag of grain or flour, or a jar of beans for that matter. We quit using the so-called "Foodsaver" and relegated it to the barn loft along with all the other consumer junk we have tried that did not work. Salad spinners, vegetable slicer-dicers, and such tripe. I'll have an auction some day to sell all that stuff and only invite people I don't like. :soapbox2:

20. Marcus

Marcus Texian

I was using it to seal mylar bags and liked being able to open the top of the machine to seal all but a small portion in the middle of the bag.