Use What You Store

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by BobR1, Jan 19, 2011.

1. BobR1

BobR1 Well-Known Member

Observations made from Y2K until now.
    Lots of people making preperations are not using the food they are storing. Many of the folks who prepaired for Y2K and were not using their stored items, ended up giving them away over the years because they took up a lot of space, and were tired of looking at it.
    The ones who are still into staying prepaired made a lifestyle change, and started to use what they stored. I am not saying to use up your storage. What I am saying is to use it, and stay restocked. When setting up your storage, determine what you are going to use.
    Sugar: That is an easy one
    Beans: Navy, Red, Brown and others
    White Rice: a little more trouble than Minute to cook, but not much.
    Macaroni & Noodles: Lots of kinds to choose from
    Oat Meal: Quick, Regular, Thick, Organic many choices to choose from.
    Flour: If you really cook, you will use it.
    Corn Meal: Cornbread is good with beans
    Canning Salt: Better choice as you might need it for canning
    Powdered Milk: Better than not having milk
    The list above when put back in 5 gallon buckets is a fair start. You can find everything from this list at the local grocery store, or bulk food store, nothing trick or expensive. Other than Flour and Corn Meal the other items have a shelf life of many years.
    Now that you have it, start using it for your daily cooking. It will save you money, and be healthier for you than fast food.

A good idea: Make up a cook book of your own geared towards your stored food items. Keep in mind the power might be out, and the microwave might not be working. It is handy to put the rice in a rice cooker in the microwave for 15 minutes, and forget it. Do you know how to cook it in a pan on the stove without getting on the computer and looking it up? Even if you know all of this, your kids might not if you are sick or injured. Information in print is always a good thing.

If you store Wheat you can always grind a little now and again just to keep in practice. Better yet, if you have like minded friends, get together and grind a little wheat, and make some bread with it. Better yet cook the bread in your Dutch Oven.

In my opinion you will stay better prepaired if you are using your prepairedness supplies every day, as part of your way of life. You can also determine that you need to stock to go with your BASIC LIST.

2. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Dry Food Study One
    A scientific study conducted at Brigham Young University on the shelf life of a variety of different dry foods can be read at both of the following links:
    http://ce.byu.edu/cw/womensconference/archive/2005/sharing_stations/pdf/52a.pdf
    New Findings for Longer-Term Food Storage
    A brief summary of the above web site information shows the following estimated shelf life per dry food item:

Over 30 years for wheat and white rice.
    30 years for pinto beans, macaroni, rolled oats, and potato flakes.
    20 years for powdered milk.

3. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I prefer the premise of "storing what you use" instead of the other way around. I am not gonna store stuff that no one will eat, regardless of how good it is for ya.
    Most of what I have put back is stuff that I use in every day living and as I use some I buy more and rotate, rotate, rotate--first in, first out. That is what a really nice sharpie is for.. lol

4. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Store what you use, use what you store. Hmmm....

That's why I have lots of baking cocoa stored (16 cans), not to mention a couple dozen cans of hot chocolate from Costco, vacuum sealed and in buckets! Oh, yeah, and the 10-lb bag of chocolate chips from Costco waiting to be vacuum-sealed and stored! Yummmm!

Had to store a bunch of sugar to go with all that cocoa....powdered milk in case I have to make my own hot cocoa mix after the cans of pre-mix run out....

One track mind here....Chocolate! :gaah:

Got lots of rice and beans put away for the rest of the family! :lolsmash:

5. fancy1

fancy1 Member

Nice post, BobR1.

We were always ahead of the game, even before the y2k "thing". Some little things that we've learned along the way are:
    -store what you eat. No, we don't drink powdered milk right now. But, we do use it for cooking/baking so it does get rotated.
    -store a little comfort food. Having those little jars of canned "cakes" have been a treat when our power goes out (which seems to be more and more frequent lately). Sure I can bake a cake without elec, but they're ready for me if we've had a day of outdoor work.
    -don't be afraid to experiment with what you've stored. Grind a hand full of beans and see what you can create with them.
    -even the little things get you one step closer. A stroll through the thrift shop may yield a good cast iron skillet you don't have, a stainless colander, or even just a new pair of jeans.
    -books! For us anyway, we try to pick up a few used books when we find them. Both the info/how to books and novels. We can work together all day on daily chores, but find that being able to sit alone with a book for a while gives us a little "private" time and you know what they say about Knowledge...

6. Akaalbany

Akaalbany Akaalbany

I set up a recipe box and it is with the stored food with a label on it It has everything from how to use the wood stove in simple language to how to can various items. Also a photo gallery of local edible wild plants. Since kids are of the you are a nut job conspiricy theory jack a - - Guess they will be one day looking at me with a mouthful of my stored food Maybe eating those words??

7. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

I sure could use that! We just got a wood stove & I don't know how to do anything with it yet. (I don't even know why it has those holes with lids on the top).:eek:

8. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Absolutely---I have stored for two years and not ONE item is anything we don't eat...

Okay....I have spinach...I am not eating that stuff---husband got it...:dunno::ignore:

Fancy1 says---at. No, we don't drink powdered milk right now. But, we do use it for cooking/baking so it does get rotated.

I starting using for cereal, macaroni/cheese and cooking too..I wanted to get used to it and put chocolate in...it isn't as good as Amish milk, but it's not bad..

9. fancy1

fancy1 Member

Anything that I cook/bake that calls for "milk", I use either powdered milk or powdered buttermilk. We're trying to watch our fats, so this helps a little.

AND I use powdered milk in my hot chocolate mix! Yep, lots of cans of cocoa out there if for nothing else but hot chocolate! mmm. Just mix up a canister full and I'm good to go for a while. Just add hot water and I'm happy.

10. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Yah, a fellow hot chocolate drinker! My new best friend! Fancy, come by for a cup someday, ok? :D

11. carolexan

carolexan Junior Member

We store what we eat and I have a notebook of recipes ( inside plastic sleeves to stay clean) for everything stored. For example cornmeal, not just for cornbread but you can make gruel, a good soup using stock, milk or water to boil the cornmeal. I use cornmeal to make dumplings for cabbage,salmon patties and even a pudding...yum Then too, I use cornmeal in soap, and body scrubs. Finally grandma taught me how to make a chest plaster for a cold, out of cornmeal and mint or eucalyptus. I have done the same with each staple I store in bulk.

Jay Jay I had to giggle at your spinach remark. My Dh would probably shoot me if I didn't keep spinach stocked up....he thinks he is Popeye! LOL!

12. GoldenBoys

GoldenBoys Active Member

Didn't you know that chocolate is one of the main food groups? :dunno::D

13. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Nope, I missed that one! Glad to know it though! :D

Did you know that a balanced diet means "mind" and "body", meaning some things are good for the body, some things are good for the mind!

BRING ON THE CHOCOLATE! Woo-hoo! :D

Oh wait...if I need food for the health of my mind, that might imply something about my mind... :gaah: :ignore:

14. GroovyMike

GroovyMike Well-Known Member

Chocolate is a vegetable - I mean really its made from BEANS!

That said store what you eat is good advice. Whenever what you normally buy goes on discount - buy all you can up to what you will use for the max shelf life.

There is no reason to buy canned goods at $1.00 each when you can buy them on sale at 50 cents and let them sit on the shelf until needed.

15. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Did I hear right, or am I mistaken, that GypsySue was planning on moving to Hershey, Penn so she could be closer to her favorite supplier??? :rolleyes:

16. BobR1

BobR1 Well-Known Member

We have Gamma Seal Lids on about everything in our present Using Out of Inventory, and I keep adding one now and again as I add something new.
    We are using 5 Gallon buckets from Wal-Mart , etc with 4 Mil Bucket Liner Bags that are tied off with waxed nylon string.
    The wife stores powdered milk in 1/2 Gallon Fruit Jars.
    She keeps quite a bit of pasta in glass jars also from 1/2 gallon to 3 gallon. Kinda decorative in jars.

The wife has a few additional dry items stored that are not on my original list above. Homany Flakes in both White & Yellow, Dehydrated Potato Slices, and powdered eggs. I would imagine you would have to order them, if you wanted a little more variety. If you run into items like this at a bulk food store it would be nice. Not so sure if it would be a good buy ordering it and paying shipping however.

I was just thinking about this. People with limited storage space might want to stock up with friends. Some bulk items come in containers larger than a 5 Gallon bucket full. A good example is Oat Meal. A 50# Bag will fill three 5 gallon buckets full. I was looking at a 100# bag of beans the other day. It would fill several buckets also. Buying in bulk is cheaper, if you do not have the room, and have friends stocking up, split up a bag. It will save you and them money. I just picked up a 25# bag of Sugar and a 25# bag of flour, they will both fit in a single 5 gallon bucket.

I was just thinking about this also. A good grain grinder is expensive. If you have friends stocking up, split the cost and have a community grain grinder you can share. Much better plan than not having one at all.

Lets here some more ideas.

17. fancy1

fancy1 Member

OK! It's hot chocolate in the afternoon :D

18. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they are in Mexico now as the town was extremely upset they moved their operation; I now buy generic, Berryhill, from Aldi's..no Hershey's for me.

19. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Seriously? :ignore: That's just wrong.

20. Eli-2

Eli-2 Active Member

I store only the things we eat pretty much on a regular basis.Is there anything you store that you do not pull from.Other words do you store items,for example do you store say 50 lbs of beans or wheat or sugar in buckets and mylar and not draw from those supplies but still eat that paticular item from the pantry?
    Does that make sense?