US Dept. of Defense Directives

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GreyWolf, May 8, 2010.

1. GreyWolf

GreyWolf Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that the Healthcare Bill that was just signed into law will create a Health Servcies Corps. and medical professionals who are a part of this Corps will receive military training. But take a look at these Department of Defense Directives from January 23, 2009 for the "Civilian Expeditionary Workforce".

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/140410p.pdf

According to these Directives:
    "Members of the DoD Civilian Expeditionary Workforce shall be organized, trained, cleared, equipped, and ready to deploy in support of combat operations by the military; contingencies; emergency operations; humanitarian missions; disaster relief; restoration of order; drug interdiction; and stability operations of the Department of Defense in accordance with DoDD 3000.05 (Reference (b))"

I don't know about you but it bothers me to read that civilians will be trained and equiped to support military "Combat operations" and the "restoration of order", especially in the same sentence.

Think I am going to take another look at my preparations and plans.

2. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

Strange thing are going on and nobody telling anyone anything. I am with you. I will have to recheck my plans to evade enforcers now.:eek:

3. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with the health care bill.

This has to do with civilian employees working for the Department of Defense who may be needed in emergency situations. The training will simply be to prepare these civilian employees for any forseeable risks they would face in the theater of operation just as it states on page 5.

They are not being trained for combat. They are being trained to be somewhat prepared to do their jobs in dangerous areas. Why are you freaking out about this?

4. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

:surrender:Just being sarcastic. Its my nature.;)

5. GreyWolf

GreyWolf Well-Known Member

Allen,
    No one is "freaking out" simply cautiously observing. You are free to totally trust the government if you so choose but I am very leary of what I have seen coming out of Washington for several years now.

Did not say nor did I mean to imply these Directives had anything to do with the Healthcare Bill that was recently signed into Law. I simply inteded to point out the similarities ween the two. Perhaps I should have been a little more clear in distinguishing between the two instead of just referring to the date that was over 1 year prior to the Healthcare passing.

You are correct it is in reference to civilians working for the Department of Defense, however page 1 Directive 1, part (a) states:
    "...under a new title to establish the policy through which an appropriately sized subset of the DoD civilian workforce is reidentified to be organized, trained, and equipped in a manner that facilitates the use of their capabilities for operational requirements. These requirements are typically away from the normal work locations of DoD civilians, or in situations where other civilians may be evacuated to assist military forces where the use of DoD civilians is appropriate. These employees shall be collectively known as the DoD Civilian Expeditionary Workforce."

Perhaps I am wrong but the way I read that statement, these are not going to be your "typical DoD civilian employee"

I believe the statement you were refeng to on Page 5 of the directives is under Directive 4 titled "Policies" in part (g) which refers to the Readiness Index to deploy item (2) which states:
    "(2) Training. Train, develop, and prepare civilian employees who are part of the DoD
    Civilian Expeditionary Workforce to meet expeditionary requirements and foreseeable risks they are likely to face in the theater of operations in accordance with DoDD 1400.31 (Reference (g)), DoDI 1400.32 (Reference (h)), and DoDD 1322.18 (Reference (i))"

You should note also that the "expeditionary requirements" are defined on Page 2, Directive 4 entitled Policies in part (a) that again states:
    support mission requirements such as combat, contingencies,

emergency operations; humanitarian and civic assistance activities; disaster relief; restoration of

order; drug interdiction; and stability operations of the Department of Defense, herein

collectively referred to as “expeditionary requirements.”

IMHO This does not describe the "typical" DoD Civilian Emplyee of decades past. Again, not freaked out just skeptically cautious.

6. drhwest

drhwest Junior Member

They have had directives like this around for a very long time, unfortunately the military is relying on more and more DOD employees and contractors to fill positions in hostile environments. While I was in Haiti we had DOD contracted cooks, electricians, and computer networking experts that helped maintain our base. Haiti's danger level was significantly less than what are soldiers are seeing today in Afghanistan and Iraq. This directive is just updating what DOD civilians will be doing in the future and ensuring they are better prepared for those missions.