Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday (and today) I was working on putting lower parts kits in some stripped lowers, something I have done many many times before. I have a well stocked and set up bench with all the tools and gadgets one needs for a quick and easy AR15 build. Toward the end of the assembly I realized I had still not installed the forward pivot pin, which also means installing a spring and detent. Now I am smart enough to know that when works with things that can fly under under tension, one wears safety glasses. But apparently I was not smart enough to remember where I put my pivot pin installation tool. Oh well, those are just for convenience anyway. Or so I thought until that little detent popped out when I was sliding in the pivot pin and pushing out a plastic dowel. I heard at least one and perhaps two ricochet, none of which involved bouncing off my safety glasses. I looked all around and of course could not find it that tiny little silver thing on a gray floor (in a room that is entirely too messy). If I was not well prepared that would be the end of things for me until I could acquire another detent. Instead I went to my "Oops Kit" and pulled out a spare detent and finished the build. And let's not pretend this is the first time that Oops Kit came in handy. A good reminder to me that having spare parts is not just a luxury. If the supply chain suddenly comes to a close, it will be a necessity.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
We have all done that at one time or another.
I took my friends Hi Point apart even though they say no to do that.
A spring went flying.
I started looking and found it.
Problem was I also found a second spring and had no idea if it was from the gun or just one on the floor before.
I put it back together and it ran OK so I guess it was for something else.
Here is a hint.
If you lose something turn off the lights and lay a light horizontal on the floor.
It will show up much better and also cast a shadow.

·
Not new, just older
791 Posts
What a nice concept it would be to repair or build a firearm in a clean, sterile environment! Oh well, a man can dream...

·
Inconspicuous Been Around Guy
1,567 Posts
...Problem was I also found a second spring and had no idea if it was from..

If you lose something turn off the lights and lay a light horizontal on the floor.
It will show up much better and also cast a shadow.
Or a Mossberg, Remington shotgun. The light on the floor works well.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
A year ago I was fixing a buddies lower (in a large farm work shed) and I was a hurry because we needed to take off back to DC.
Cut a corner and a spring went flying.
Haven't found it to this day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts