Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Partyin' like it's 1699
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made my annual batch of herbal salve yesterday, and I was thinking, as I always do when I make stuff, how I could market my product. Demand for it is already there, the question now is how to go about reaching out to a larger market. There's plenty of farmer's markets and health food stores around here that carry similar products (that are nowhere near as good as mine :p ), many of those are local products too. I can't just call these people and say "Hey I have this salve, would you sell it for me?"
Also, what about rules regarding production and quality control? I make this stuff in my kitchen, no two batches are exactly alike-and I want to keep it that way, as I improve on the salve every year depending on what works and what doesn't. If you have any experience with this kind of stuff, would you mind sharing your stories? I originally made this salve as a postpartum healing treatment, and I know a lot of women especially would appreciate a product like this.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
OFMama, in "normal" times, marketing a salve that claims to do anything related to health might be a tough one. I'm not expert on the subject, but just based on what I've read over the years, you might require FDA approval. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is my impression.

A particular case that comes to mind is the guy who developed a very simple silicone filled sack that dramatically improved the the ability to detect lump or other abnormalities when women performed breast self exams. Since the effect of the "sack" for lack of a better term, was very slippery, lumps were much easier to detect as opposed to direct fingertip-to-skin contact.

The FDA process was so complicated and onerous that, after years and a million or so bucks in beurocratic bull $hit, he finally gave up. Our govt at it's finest.

I could be wrong about this, but I'd sure check it out before a bunch of swat team feds bust down your door. Maybe you could do it on a local basis with very carfull wording?

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I too have a salve that I make that works well and doing a bit of research it is just not worth going thru all that testing and crap to try to and sell it..
But the family likes it and they came up with a great name--The green slime! kinda descriptive too!:D

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
Try word of mouth, freinds family even face book. I'm no lawer but maybe if you call it soap or moisturizer and make no medical claims you might be ok. That's how a lot of the "call now wonder pills" work i think.
Every once in a while the local news has a little story about a laid off mom who started making cookies, candy or something and got pretty big once word got out. Last one I saw was a preist making some sort of pastry to raise money to the church roof. he had a couple ladies helping and they worked all weekend, but the waiting list was several week long to get your snacks.

Give it a shot, there's no overhead. You have nothing to loose.
Use a page from the crack dealer's book. Give out little sample bottles to your book club, church group or whatever and charge them when they come back.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Try word of mouth, freinds family even face book. I'm no lawer but maybe if you call it soap or moisturizer and make no medical claims you might be ok. That's how a lot of the "call now wonder pills" work i think.
Every once in a while the local news has a little story about a laid off mom who started making cookies, candy or something and got pretty big once word got out. Last one I saw was a preist making some sort of pastry to raise money to the church roof. he had a couple ladies helping and they worked all weekend, but the waiting list was several week long to get your snacks.

Give it a shot, there's no overhead. You have nothing to loose.
Use a page from the crack dealer's book. Give out little sample bottles to your book club, church group or whatever and charge them when they come back.
That is a great Idea! I forgot that Michigan just passed the new "cottage made" law that means that I can make and sell jams jellies, breads etc... as long as I put an ingredient list and that it was made in a home kitchen that has not been checked by the state inspector. Oh and I think you need to put on the label if you have any of the "allergy" stuff in your home. Like peanuts wheat etc...

·
Partyin' like it's 1699
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I already have a few friends who are willing to pay for my salve-even though I told them at this point they can have it for free. The stuff costs me nearly nothing to produce. All of the plants used are grown in my own yard, the oils I use to add scent only take a few drops, and I use corn oil for the infusion-its cheaper than using olive oil exclusively and doesn't burn as easily either. The only major expense is the jars and lids, a problem that I could easily solve if I started buying them wholesale (or at least using a cheaper jar. I just love the way my salve looks in Ball 4oz quilted jelly jars!)

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
OFM: I don't think vitamins and/or suppliments are regulated by the government. So to back up what njm715 said, as long as you don't make medical claims you might be off the hook. Just PLEASE look into the laws thoroughly first. What exactly does your salve do?

·
Partyin' like it's 1699
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It heals broken or irritated skin. I used it as a postpartum perineal tissue treatment and the uncomfortable symptoms were gone in about three days. I then went on to use it successfully as a diaper rash treatment, and as a replacement for the standard neosporin most folks put on their kids' cuts and scrapes. My husband used it to relieve itching from flea bites when our house got infested with the pests several years ago-how that worked Im not sure because I didn't put anything in there that was specifically anti-itch, but he said it helped. And last but not least, it's a fantastic treatment for hemorrhoids. These "claims" are purely anecdotal of course, I don't make any claims that it "cures" anything. I use herbs that are historically proven to provide relief for these symptoms. My friends who have young children and have tried the salve have all reported to me that it works better for rashes and scrapes than any store-bought, commercially made stuff.

*It cannot be used on deep puncture wounds, and I put this warning either on the label or on a card with instructions when I give it to someone. The healing action of comfrey is extremely quick, and can cause the top layer of skin to grow over a deep wound, which can lead to a serious infection*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.