Travel Time

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Canadian, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

I was visiting my dad at his house downtown. I live at the very north end of the city. I left his house at around 5:00 PM to drive home and cook dinner for my wife. I got home just before 5:30 PM. The last time I drove in rush hour traffic it took me an hour to get home.

Has unemployment gotten so bad that it has actually reduced the amount of rush hour traffic? My trip took half the time it normally would. Most of the streets I drove on had been reduced to one lane due to construction.

Have you guys noticed a change in your commute or traffic in your area?

2. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

less traffic

Interesting you should say that, my wife who still works said the same thing, less traffic at the 5:30am commute now. She commutes about 3/4 of an hour one way every day. Unemployment is at 12% now I believe in Calif. I commute about 0 minutes, the benefit of being retired. To this day I can't figure out how I had time to work with all these on going chores and projects.

"Are you an Ant or a Grasshopper"...Remember the fable...

3. Perhaps more people are carpooling or taking public transit in order to cut the cost of gas and wear and tear on their vehicles.

4. bunkerbob

That's possible, but, you have to know the So.Calif. commuter, no rail near us, pubic trans is for inter-city not intra-city and here everyone still has to have their own vehicle. Most like my wife, who is not hourly, have work times that change occasionally. Construction as spotty as it is, have travel that changes almost weekly, as my son can contest to.

"Are you an Ant or a Grasshopper"...Remember the fable...

5. bunkerbob

New Ant and the Grasshopper fable

I still like the old version...
    THE ANT AND THE GRASSHOPPER

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long,
    building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed.

The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.

MORAL OF THE STORY:

Be responsible for yourself!!

Just received this email...The Ant and the Grasshopper 2009 VERSION:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant
    should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others are cold and starving.

CBS, NBC , PBS, CNN, and ABC show up to provide pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a
    video of the ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food. America is stunned by the sharp contrast.

How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?

Kermit t he Frog appears on Oprah with the grasshopper and everybody cries when they sing,
    'It's Not Easy Being Green.'

Acorn stages a demonstration in front of the ant 's house
    where the news stations film the group singing, 'We shall overcome.'
    Rev. Jeremiah Wright then has the group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's sake and to curse America .

Nancy Pelosi & Harry Reid exclaim in an interview with Larry King that the ant has gotten rich off the back
    of the grasshopper, and both call for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair share.

Finally, the EEOC drafts the Economic Equity & Anti-Grasshopper Act retroactive to the beginning of the summer.

The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the Government's Green Czar.

The story ends as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits of the ants food while the government house
    he is in, which just happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he doesn't maintain it.

The ant has disappeared in the snow.

The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident
    and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang

of spiders who terrorize the once peaceful neighborhood.

MORAL OF THE STORY:

Be careful how you vote in 2010

6. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

My travel-time hasn't really changed any significant amount.

If I leave work at 3:45 I can be home fairly quickly (less than 1/2hr). If I leave at 4:00, I might be home within 45 minutes. If I leave work at 4:15 - I am lucky to be home by 5:30. If I leave work at 5:25, I'll be home in 20 minutes ..

That is just on the average. If there is an accident between work and home and I learn about it early enough, there are back-roads that I can take that can get me home in about 1/2hr.

7. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Seems to me that's just be 2 hours of my life I'd never get back.

8. bunkerbob

Here! here! I can't imagine any life lessons to found there.