Transition Movement

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Asatrur, May 2, 2011.

1. Asatrur

Asatrur Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I thought I would start here since it is training and planning.

I am involved in this group which tries to get folks at all levels i.e. neighborhoods, towns, etc. to move to more of a local resilient life and economy from a positive outlook versus the typical doomer attitude and there are a lot of cross overs with prepping. I will warn folks, we transitioners are believers in peak oil, human impacted climate change, etc. More info can be found at Welcome | Transition US

2. FermenterZym

FermenterZym Member

Hey Asatrur, I'm also involved with Transition. I've been with Transition Philadelphia for a few months and am starting one closer to my current residence north of philly. Where are you located?

I definitely see the overlap with preparedness, and I think I may even do some preparedness workshops with people in my community in the near future.

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

“Ox don’t need spare parts, and they don’t run on fossil fuels,” ... I have been thinking about this post for a few days now. :gaah:

I don't want to come off as nasty, rude or being a ----! ;)

Right now coal/oil is King ... I don't see that changing in my life time ... I think it is great if you can ride your bike to work. :2thumb: But to get my critters and produce to market, I must start up my F250 diesel truck to do it.:dunno: We have laws that say I can not take a horse or two down the main highway and do an old time 'drive'. Just the way it is ...

I grew up when coal was a way to make a living, my dad worked at a coal fire plant and it put food on the table. I have many a kin folk that also make a living on 'the coal fields' (one way or another). Once (coal) was not a dirty word ... but a way to make a living and feed your family.

People talk about strip mines and how nasty they are ... but as we have own wind mill farm now not far from it ... which would rather look at. Once they are finished with a strip mine, they must cover it with grass and trees ... but not with a wind farm.

Solar is GREAT but we are not there yet. (IMO) :) The way I understand it solar power and storms don't go together ... So I try to walk with soft shoes on Mother Earth, it is the best I can do for now.

Just a different way to look at things ... We didn't get to where we are in one day ... we will not get out of in one day either.;)

4. Asatrur

Agreed, which is why we need a plan to transition to a more low energy lifestyle by choice before we are forced to

5. Asatrur

I am in Colorado, near the peoples republic of boulder. Good luck with your group!

6. tortminder

tortminder Well-Known Member

Interesting concept

The concept is interesting, but specific agenda driven. There is a parallel path with prepping/survival, but almost all preppers I've had occasion to meet were considerably less in "lock step" with the energy "cause du Jour".

I agree that education is the key, which is why I started the North Shore Old Time Skills and Preparedness Meet Up group in the northern Chicago suburbs. It is about what the group name says, learning and teaching old-time skills and preparedness... without the social or political agenda. We have had seminars on square-foot gardening and emergency water procurement and purification and have seminars on sprouting and creating a B.O.B. upcoming. Soon, I hope to have instructional videos on the website for those who cannot attend in person.

I wish you well in your endeavor as we cannot have too many aware folks.:smilieimg:

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

tortminder - Very cool!

old-time skills - I love them!