Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I get great training through being of service to others. I am an Adult volunteer with the Boy Scouts. I help put together the spring and fall camporees and the klondike derby. Our program always is centered around a camp out, including winter. The event itself covers a merit badge or two. Most recently we did wilderness survival. We have also covered emergency preparedness, first aid, pioneering, rifle shooting, cooking with out utinsels and a host of other activities involving survival. Alot of stuff talked about here is practiced at these out door activities. You can get the merrit badge pamphlets for a couple of bucks at the local scout shop. I also get a really cool patch after each event. I know for a fact that The BSA is looking for some adult volunteer help everywhere they are.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same for me in Search & Rescue. We have ongoing learning opportunities, most of which are free--things like map & compass, GPS, alternative navigation (which I really love), tracking, wilderness first aid, knot-tying and other skills for low-angle rescue, high-angle rescue, etc. A lot of it is geared toward searching for missing people and rescuing the injured, but many of those skills are useful in other areas as well.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I used to get paid to train at Mountain Equipment Co-Op when I worked there. They'd give us new gear to test and have us "qualify" for skills and we'd get to go rock climbing for a few days and get paid for it. There was paid training for every department in the store. As you qualified you'd move on to new activities that you never tried before. Lots of fun. That's why some of the staff have so much product knowledge.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I used to get paid to train at Mountain Equipment Co-Op when I worked there. They'd give us new gear to test and have us "qualify" for skills and we'd get to go rock climbing for a few days and get paid for it. There was paid training for every department in the store. As you qualified you'd move on to new activities that you never tried before. Lots of fun. That's why some of the staff have so much product knowledge.
I am a member of MEC - great stuff. I didn't realize that the employee's went on training excerises as well. I am just your "average" outdoor enthusiast - spending too much money at MEC. Maybe I should get myself a job there :cool:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
It's very hard to get a job there. Even the part timers get full benefits, drug, dental, retirement, zero percent interest loans for education and computers. Once someone gets hired they almost never quit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts