Trading preps

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Jimmy24, May 21, 2011.

1. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

So, as hard as it is to spend $$ on preps for yourself, has anyone tried to build a supply of items that might be barter items?

I have some, but limited. Some things I have built up...

TP
    Soap (bar)
    Alcohol (wood)
    2 large plastic containers of used shoes. Mine and some I got from 2nd hand stores. Cheap.
    Dawn Antibacterial
    Qt and Gal ziplock bags (store brands)
    Bottled water
    Bleach

At this point I got maybe $100 invested. Everything is stuff that won't go bad and all separate from my on stock.

And the one thing about it, I can use them myself if needed.

Have you been able to think about this and do anything? Or any additional thoughts or things you might add?

Jimmy

2. kejmack

kejmack Texas!!!

I'm keeping all my supplies for myself. I plan to use food to barter.

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

you might want to swipe out that bleach for some Pool Shock because bottled bleach goes bad after a while... :dunno:

maybe some good water filters or filter pitchers as opposed to keeping full bottles stored...

if you take the tubes out of the TP more of it can be stored in the same amount of space...

make 'soap' out of laundry detergent flakes, there are quite a few recipes for this...

not to be gross, but condoms (no spermicidal agents) make excellent emergency canteens...

sanitary napkins, gauze, bandages, antiseptic wipes, iodine...

4. JustCliff

JustCliff Supporting Member

Salt. And lots of it. Great for preserving food.
    Food Grade Hydrogen peroxide 35% Love this stuff. MANY uses A gallon will go a very long way and it degrades slowly if kept cool.
    Everclear (ethanol alcohol) Can be diluted to make drinkable by normal people. Is used in making medicines.

I agree with the bleach. I bought some last summer and it has already degraded. I also have the Pool Shock tabs.

5. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Thanks for the bleach info.

Jimmy

6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I'm so far out in the boonies ... if someone would come knocking ... it would not be a good thing. ;)

7. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Hi--Blob...I've tried taking out the cardboard from several brands...it will not come out---glued in real good...any tricks?? Even paper towels..

8. IlliniWarrior

IlliniWarrior Well-Known Member

Removing TP Tubes

You need to slit the paper tube ....... a long blade extendable razor knife will do the job ...... fold the tube inwards and then twist ........

not sure how you can extract a tube from paper towels ........

9. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

I have made up little fishing kits.. 30-50 ft of 10 lb test.. leader, 2 size hooks, a weight and a bobber (so they can feed themselves). I also have 1/2 lb and 1 lb pkgs of pintos, kidney or white beans and the same with white rice. I have 500 pkts of inst coffee, sugar, creamer and stirrer (about $30 at amazon). I have pkts of salt, pepper and sugar. Some oatmeal, both 2 cup pkgs and individual envelopes. Boullion cubes. Water sterilizing tabs. Hard clear plastic ltr bottles cleaned, sterilized, dried and closed up ready for them to use to haul water. Heavy string or chord. Pkgs of 12 .22 cal shot. I have some tube tents- maybe 5 or 10, 10 elcheapo rain ponchos, 10 space blankets, firestarters, small boxes of strike anywhere matches, duct tape, cable saws, mess kits, plastic knives, forks, spoons. Styrofoam cups. Tang mix, vit c enriched lemonade mix, 3 oz jars of instant coffee, cocoa mx, grape ade mx, instant no fat milk mix for those with children.I have 10 washrags, 10 hand towels and small hotel sized soaps.Feminine hygiene pads in packs of 5, combs, hairbrushes, rubber bands. I have about 10 pocket knives, bandages, 3 oz pkgs of cooking oil. I am about to make some fishing poles out of cane (it grows everywhere here, wild) no reels tho. If they wanna work, hunt or fish for us, I will trade other food items. Shoes is a great idea! I hadnt thought about that! Eventho I have some mess kits for some- I thought about buying a few extra aluminum pots or pans from Good Will to add to the collection for bartering.
    Alot of this stuff I already had or I bought for a song. I just think about what I would need if I were roaming, looking for shelter and something to eat.

10. lojo216

lojo216 lojo216

I have oil lamps and cast iron cookware I have put aside in a "Barter Box" I also buy lamp wick in 6ft rolls so I cut that into 6" lenghts that I also added to the box.

Lori

11. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

Lojo, may I ask where you are getting 6' rolls of lamp wick?

12. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

In a short term scenario, I don’t mind helping my neighbors; I plan to and go overboard doing so.

But in a long term scenario, I plan to only trade with Preppers, or “prepared like-minded folk”. They will be on their own 2 feet too and understand limitations. If the neighbors just think you’re a PAW Wally World, then when you run out, they WILL tip your boat. They will NOT stop coming back for more.

Any one else feel this way or am I scum?

My barter preps are mostly

SKILLS
    Blacksmithing
    Sewing
    Leather/Harness Repair
    Electrical repair
    Optical
    Water Purification
    Food Preservation
    Cooking
    Etc

REPRODUCIBLE ITEMS
    Seeds
    Natural Medicines
    Poultry products
    Etc

REPLACEABLE ITEMS
    Salvage kit
    Rechargeable Batteries

13. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I agree whole-heartedly, and no, you're not scum for feeling that way.

One of the biggest problems I foresee with helping people outside one's circle of family and friends is that very mentality of expecting continued hand-outs, or as you aptly put it, thinking you're a PAW WallyWorld.

If you even let that get started, it'll be difficult or impossible to cut it off without risk to you and yours.

Yet having said that, we do plan on bartering/trading with people in the area in the event of a long-term SHTF, and certainly would do all we could for others in a short-term one.

14. ajsmith

ajsmith Well-Known Member

SurvivalNut, your not scum, probably smarter than most.

I don't have any barter items yet. The first items on my to get list for barter are salt, and a few pints of Jim Beam or Jack Daniels. After reading this thread I need to make a bigger list :D

15. lojo216

lojo216 lojo216

I bought my lamp wick on ebay. Very reasonable too. Just search "oil lamp wick"

Like others here, I plan on helping/trading with like minded folk.I know a select few that we already swap and share with. I do not intend to be used and/or taken advantage by those who do nothing to help themselves. With my neighbors it didn't take me long after the 1 cup of sugar borrowed turned into a 5lb bag to know they would bleed us dry in a very short time.

Lori

16. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Where do you get the lamp wick in rolls?? That's great. I would like to aquire some of that.

Jimmy

17. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Oh I agree completely. Remember my premise was barter. You got something I need, hey maybe we can cut a deal on something. But you got nothing of value to trade, hit the road....

Jimmy

18. lojo216

lojo216 lojo216

On ebay right now 9ft of oil lamp wick is $8.99-Buy it now. Unless you are planning on making your own candles, stay away from the Pierce&adkins. Also at a small hardware store around here they sell lamp wick from a large roll. I can buy as much or as little as I want for 79 cents a foot. Someone told me I could use plain white shoelaces with the plastic tips cut off but I haven't tried that.

FWIW= I store some extra wicks in the bottom of my lamps. I use long tweezers to fish it out when needed and the bonus is the wick is already soaked.

Lori

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2011
  19. Caribou

Caribou Time Traveler

I don't buy stuff for barter per se but I do buy in quantities that will allow me to barter many items. I choose not to waste storage space or cash on something I can't use when there are so many things on my wish list. When I retired I kept my inventory so not only do I have skills but parts to barter. Items that I might put in a garage sale are set aside for later use or barter.

20. Wellrounded

Wellrounded Supporting Member

We think the same way, barter what we can replace easily. For us it'll include teaching others do to for themselves so they leave us alone, as well as repairs and manufacturing (if they supply the materials).