Tornado/Bomb shelter

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by RedRocker, Dec 2, 2008.

1. RedRocker

RedRocker Active Member

I had a link to a site that showed how to build a shelter where they
    poured concrete walls on three sides up about 4 feet, then laid a
    tank cut in half long ways over the top of the walls. After that they
    poured concrete over the pipe and made a nice long shelter. Here's a
    rough sketch, if you know the link I'd appreciate it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  2. RedRocker

RedRocker Active Member

Nobody has run across that site?

3. bonanacrom

bonanacrom Active Member

It's not a very good design, one where they use the whole metal pipe would be better, I don't know the site right now but when I think of it I'll post it.

4. RedRocker

RedRocker Active Member

Thanks!!!!

5. vikx

vikx Active Member

I would think metal would sweat a lot, especially if the shelter was underground. Any thoughts on this or remedies? VK

6. Old Sarge

Old Sarge Member

For what it's worth. I built one similiar to what you are talking about; with the exception, that I sat 3 each 50 gallon drums down the middle (16 feet long measured inside) Bolted a landscape timber on each side, sticking up to top of the walls. To these landscape timbers, I bolted a 2"X12" down the length of the shelter, on each side. Now, I have the timbers the width of the barrel apart.
    To these, I attached framing 2x4's to support a temporary plywood roof. Remember, after the concrete is poured, you have to remove all this from the INSIDE!!!!! So, everything is bolted or screwed, from the inside.
    Poured a round top on top of this, with sideboards fastened to the outside of the outer walls. In this roof, before the pour, I laid in re-bar to give it further strength. Also, put a vent in made of 6" PVC, in the roof, and another down low in front of the wall, next to the door; to provide cross ventilation, if needed.
    Remember to make the door wide enough to allow the 50 gallon drums to be removed after the roof is poured, and the scaffolding is removed.

7. kc5fm

kc5fm Emergency Manager

Safe Room

Not the link you want but ... Taking Shelter from the Storm gives plans for shelters.

Your Tax Dollars at work.

8. RedRocker

RedRocker Active Member

Don't know what happened to the attachment.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  9. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

We had a server-glitch that caused attachments to "disappear". We haven't figured out what really happened.

10. RedRocker

RedRocker Active Member

OK, I updated the sketch anyway, thanks.

11. CVFD_Madman

CVFD_Madman Member

Thanks, Kc5fm. That FEMA site really does have some good info. on it.

12. rhrobert

rhrobert Happy in the hills

Man, I just for the first time saw the ARKII shelter in Ontario.
    Anyone have 42 buses they want to scrap? :)

layout:
    [​IMG]

exterior shot:
    [​IMG]

interior shots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. rhrobert

rhrobert Happy in the hills

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  14. waynemart

waynemart Waynemart

RedRocker,
    I toyed with designs for underground burial for years. It alwas came back to keeping the water out of the living space. Finally, I decided to use a shipping container because it was already sealed and fairly sturdy. Check out what I finally ended up with in my You Tube video:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3EAJex1RVo]YouTube - Shipping Container As An Underground Shelter[/ame]