Prepared Society Forum banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Okay, that helps me understand a bit. So how do you suggest we manage (if I can use that term) human population? How do we reduce it. Who determines the criterion? What should those criteria be? How long will it take to implement and manage the required controls?

Not trying to put you on the spot, just trying to follow your logic through.

From our discussions in other posts I presume you know that I am a Christian. I am not saying my position is better than yours, just acknowledging that they are different. Not all positions can be correct but each person is entitled to (and I believe accountable for) there position in the end.

Part of being a Christian means, for me, that every person is created in the image of God (although there is no denying it is often very difficult to see). That means that I believe in the intrinsic value and sanctity of human life. I understand there are times when life must be taken for a variety of reasons but still see the value of each life.

I have never had to kill someone, although I did serve in the military, and to the best of the ability of someone who has never been in such a situation made the decision to do so if need be. Over the years I have talked with military personnel, mercenaries, police officers, felons and doctors who have taken the life of another. All were changed by the experience and not for the better.

Are you suggesting we kill a percentage of the population or have forced birth control? How do we bring an exploding population to some sustainable number, which( neither of us knows, but we can assume for discussion that such a number can be determined).

How did the writers of National Geographic propose solving it in their multipart series (which obviously I have not read)?

Maybe you haven't thought it through as most of us are prone to fail to do with a position. Maybe you have some thoughts. Just curious.

I prefer such conversations over a coffee or kitchen table because in a forum such as this it is easy to misunderstand or be misunderstood, but we don't have that luxury.
Nat geo actually says bugs. They are almost all protein and require very little space to grow. They believe very strongly that bugs are a viable way to sustain food for such a large population. Now i do value human life, and every other animal on this planet. The only thing i have come up with is to limit the amount of kids born. But how to do it in a way that is fair, i don't know. I have thought maybe limit people to 2 kids. After 2 kids no stabbing the 3rd in the head just make the father have a vasectomy witch is reversible incase need be. Im not proposing a kill off either. Im not Hitler here. I don't think anything done to control population growth will be received well. I do think people who are a lot smarter than i should figure some crap out and do it soon. There is nothing healthy instore for humans or this planet when our numbers get to high. This is always a hard subject for people to think about but one that we should have talked about a long time ago. I don't know what we should do i just know we need to do something. I wonder if the bible talks about over population? I have always thought that maybe the biblical apocalypse is more about bringing the population back down to sustainable numbers. Now all that said im pretty darn sure i don't want todays government in control of that either. God aside any ecosystem can be over populated and sickness is usually the first response given from nature to balance the system. So either we control our system or it will fight back and we will loose many lives when it does. @sewingcreations15 bob and i jumped track on your thread, sorry!

·
Banned
687 Posts
Nat geo actually says bugs. They are almost all protein and require very little space to grow. They believe very strongly that bugs are a viable way to sustain food for such a large population. Now i do value human life, and every other animal on this planet. The only thing i have come up with is to limit the amount of kids born. But how to do it in a way that is fair, i don't know. I have thought maybe limit people to 2 kids. After 2 kids no stabbing the 3rd in the head just make the father have a vasectomy witch is reversible incase need be. Im not proposing a kill off either. Im not Hitler here. I don't think anything done to control population growth will be received well. I do think people who are a lot smarter than i should figure some crap out and do it soon. There is nothing healthy instore for humans or this planet when our numbers get to high. This is always a hard subject for people to think about but one that we should have talked about a long time ago. I don't know what we should do i just know we need to do something. I wonder if the bible talks about over population? I have always thought that maybe the biblical apocalypse is more about bringing the population back down to sustainable numbers. Now all that said im pretty darn sure i don't want todays government in control of that either. God aside any ecosystem can be over populated and sickness is usually the first response given from nature to balance the system. So either we control our system or it will fight back and we will loose many lives when it does. @sewingcreations15 bob and i jumped track on your thread, sorry!
Thanks for the thoughts, just helps me in future dialogue to hear your perspective rather than assume it.

@sewingcreations15 I second the apologies for derailing the thread. We'll get back on track

·
Banned
687 Posts
Sorry to butt into your discussion but I do see those points as a part of current population control. Population control is part of Agenda 21.
Without question. I wasn't disagreeing at all, I just wanted to hear his take on things.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I think there will be a wide spread pandemic in the near future.
People can travel anywhere in the world in 2 or 3 days and if they are sick they will spread diseases around.
The current outbreak of the Marburg Virus is an example.
It can be up to 88% fatal.
I think Mother Nature will ultimately control our out of control population.
That is unless it's not Mother Nature, and it's some sinister New World Order plot.
Tinfoil hat off.;)

·
Hard working Aussie
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 · (Edited)
Worthwhile discussing this subject here as it leads into items to stockpile that deal with pandemics and diseases as well I think. So what preps does everyone recommend for pandemics in their stockpiles ?. N95 masks come to mind ( I believe they have developed better ones too lately) and thieves oil is another used during the black plague too.

Thank you @bugoutbob and @RedBeard for the apology too.

I will weigh in on the subject that I think when anyone's number is up in the great lottery of life your time is over and medical intervention can only help to a certain degree because viruses and bacteria will mutate and create new strains to become resistant to most modern medicine eventually. Also I am a Christian as well, and believe all lives are sacred and we are created in the image of god and as an ex nurse our code of conduct (if I may call it that) was such that we were to maintain the best quality of life for someone that we could. Regardless of whether you are religious or not maintaining the best quality of life for each person is paramount. How any future government legislation handles population control is that it maybe similar to the one child policy in China perhaps without the spiking of children but substituting mandatory birth control measures ???.

@backlash also agree with you on the fact that pandemics in the past have somewhat controlled (natural selection if you like to call it that) or reduced the population as well. Recent ones being the Ebola virus, Bird flu, more recently Influenza A has now beaten the latest flu vaccination and a number of seemingly healthy people have succumb to that and add to that hurricanes and tornadoes. If you look at more anciently the black death or plague (found recently in one country), famine, pestilence, droughts and floods.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Things to stockpile, besides N95 masks, might include nitrile or latex gloves, soap, disposable shoe covers and Tyvek coveralls. Cleanliness and especially hand washing will be paramount. Maintaining a distance from others will help.
In addition to N-95 masks (which are good for things that are transmitted via the airborne route, regular procedure masks are good for things like the flu that is transmitted via the droplet route. I also stock hand sanitizer (I get it at Sam's Club in the half gallon bottles). Don't forget bleach and other surface sanitizers (I use Oxivir TB wipes- a hydrogen peroxide cleaner that kills almost everything and only has a 2 minute dry time, available on Amazon). The best prevention for pandemic is self-quarantine- staying away from anyone and not going anywhere that you could pick up the pandemic pathogen. Meticulous hand hygiene, keeping self and environment clean, and maintaining good health/ good nutrition are also important. Lastly, I strongly recommend getting a flu shot every year. Even though last year's shot was only 43% effective against Flu A and 73% effective against Flu B, it is better than nothing and does help your immune system resist the flu. I suspect if anything does go pandemic, it will be a version of the flu. Right now there are a number of flu strains that are mutating and have jumped the gap from animals to people.

·
Hard working Aussie
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Thank you @Caribou for your recommendation of stocking gloves, soap, shoe covers and clothing covers too and they are valuable additions.

Good point @DrPrepper too on the ordinary theatre masks, hydrogen peroxide cleaner, flu injection, good hygiene and quarantining and keeping away from others who are sick and quarantining your self too if you are sick.

Are you able to tell me what percentage hydrogen peroxide is in the Oxivir cleaner ?, just interested as we can get varying strengths of hydrogen peroxide here and want to know the best to use. Amazon only has very few items they ship to Australia (often hugely expensive postage costs too) so I often source alternatives.

·
Inconspicuous Been Around Guy
1,567 Posts
...I think there will be a wide spread pandemic in the near future.
People can travel anywhere in the world in 2 or 3 days and if they are sick they will spread diseases around.
The current outbreak of the Marburg Virus is an example.
It can be up to 88% fatal...
;)
Television series "Survivors" 1974, "Survivors" 2006, "The Last Ship" 2014.
Films, "Outbreak" "Contagion" and a bunch more.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts