Prepared Society Forum banner

41 - 60 of 129 Posts

·
160 Posts
My wife says I smell "sexy" when I have been sweating but she is my wife and has been known to sweeten the truth to keep from hurting the only feeling I have left. I am not afraid of the shower and use liquid dish soap as shampoo, body wash and hand soap. I also use antiperspirant and cologne to keep her close. With all the work she does there has to be something to give her pleasure. ;)

·
Hard working Aussie
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
@AmishHeart good addition is the gardening seeds and we have a supply of those here saved from our gardens, also another good idea is soaps and deodorants, lets face it and be honest we all rather smell after a good days work :D . Bicycles are a good idea as well as carts @weedygarden, we have small 4 wheel gardening carts here we use.

I would add in body wash as well as you can put a little into a travel bottle and use it for a tradable item. Another would be shave cream and disposable razors.

·
Internet Princess
2,809 Posts
I like cereal but don't buy it much anymore. Price has gone up and amounts have gone down. Just to expensive now a days.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
I like cereal but don't buy it much anymore. Price has gone up and amounts have gone down. Just to expensive now a days.
I don't really like cereal and haven't bought much of it in years. The only thing that could be considered cereal in my preps is oatmeal, rice, wheat and corn. What is good about cereal is the easiness of pouring a bowl of cereal and adding milk. It is just another processed food that America is hooked on. I really learned when I was teaching how children who have cereal for breakfast get very hungry mid-morning. Something with protein is a much better way to start the day--eggs, bacon, sausage, toast with peanut butter, yogurt, grilled cheese, cottage cheese. Protein sticks with you and keeps your blood sugar more stable. People who are diabetic especially should have protein for breakfast.

If I was eating more grains, I would be more interested in eating cooked whole or cracked wheat, rice, polenta, oatmeal. I am also the weirdo because I don't put sugar on cereal either, when I do eat it.

·
Hard working Aussie
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
@terri9630 I don't mind the occasional commercial cereal either but because of prices we tend now to make our own granola. My preferred one was a sultana bran but then I found one at Aldi in a generic brand that was just as nice but far cheaper.

You are right though small commercial packs of cereal would probably be a good to put in preps for tradable items too.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I would probably stock also in for tradable items little plastic travel bottles and aerosol bottles that could be filled with shampoo, conditioner, perfume or aftershave too.
I travel for work and I keep every shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion bottle I get, soap bars to! We have boxes of them mainly from Hampton Inn's since that is my hotel of choice! My wife is sick of seeing them so I have stashed them in boxes in our "pantry" that is what we call our "storage room" in our basement.

·
somewhat moldy
239 Posts
Making gravy is like rocket science to some. There are people who have stocked gravy mix in their preps.
Last Thursday at coffee day, the usual critiquing of the younger generations was the conversation du jour along with yummy stuff to eat. I was so surprised when the 60'ish lady next to me said that home made gravy was gross. I asked why and it turns out she couldn't handle the concept of making something out of the left over frying bits in the bottom of the pan. It was dirty to her.

One older man just ordered a side of beef, rare enough these days, but was complaining he received all the icky bits; kidneys, heart, tongue, liver and no one wanted them. Neither himself nor his friends were even willing to feed them to their dogs as organ meat is bad. I said I would take them and they all looked at me like I just let out a silent killer.

Fresh (unprocessed pork picnics) on sale at the local store for a $1 lb and marked down another 40% because they weren't selling. The cashier asks what am I going to do with the cart load I bought and I explained that I would brine and smoke some, and dry age and smoke others to hang from the rafters. Darn, another silent killer got loose. At $5. a picnic, I wasn't going to leave them there. I guess I could trade smoked ham if any one had the fortitude to eat it and the government didn't put me in the slammer for selling toxic waste; not holding my breath though. Any one in fear of the food stash getting pilfered officially or un-officially simply needs to stock home made, and believe me, the pantry is safe.

S doesn't need to HTF. Its already over for most and no one knows it. I feel so out of place because I grew up in SHTF and don't need 75% of whats on the list. I just cannot relate to lists like that, so in a way, S has HTF for me. I just want to head for the hills and be a hermit.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
I don't eat much processed food but processed or not, I like a bowl of cheerios or Froot Loops on a weekend morning or an afternoon snack.
Cheerios is my cereal of choice, if and when I do have cereal. Somewhere I read that since they have changed to gluten free, they are not the same, the taste has changed and some people no longer like them. I don't know, I haven't had any in a few years. My daughter, who has celiac, does eat cheerios regularly, but not daily.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I will get the generic brand of Cheerios and Fruit Loops. I like the Cheerios toasted in butter for a snack. Fruit Loops are a special treat for my goats. I also make my own granola with either honey or brown sugar, then throw in some pecans and dried cranberrirs. After cooked and cooling sometimes a handful of white chocolate. I don't eat breakfast most days so this is snack food too.

Homemade granola bars is another good option when on the go. Only bad thing there is if you leave them in a car and try to eat for lunch, they do loose their crispiness. I wrap in saran wrap, maybe if I vacuum sealed they would do better?

·
I sold my soul to the internet
2,121 Posts
In heavily populated areas fuel is a big item. For those of us who live away frompopulation centers it is less of a concern. Even at that there is no way that 40 acres is enough land to support trees for fuel.
If you use a degester or better a rocket stove, you can add a oven to bake bread.
You can grow hybrid Poplar on an acre & a half.
http://www.advancedtree.com/Tree-Hybrid-Poplar.aspx
This is the tree they make wood pellets out of because of it's fast growing.
Propane in a 500 gallon underground tank, not only gave you a nice price brake, it is a great way to store fuel for short & long time needs.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I don't really like cereal and haven't bought much of it in years. The only thing that could be considered cereal in my preps is oatmeal, rice, wheat and corn. What is good about cereal is the easiness of pouring a bowl of cereal and adding milk. It is just another processed food that America is hooked on. I really learned when I was teaching how children who have cereal for breakfast get very hungry mid-morning. Something with protein is a much better way to start the day--eggs, bacon, sausage, toast with peanut butter, yogurt, grilled cheese, cottage cheese. Protein sticks with you and keeps your blood sugar more stable. People who are diabetic especially should have protein for breakfast.

If I was eating more grains, I would be more interested in eating cooked whole or cracked wheat, rice, polenta, oatmeal. I am also the weirdo because I don't put sugar on cereal either, when I do eat it.
Cereal is not a long term stock. I gave a hundred boxes to a friend's chickens--rice krispies, cheerios, fruit loops.
An expensive lesson @ $1.49 -$1.69 a box(generic years ago)

·
Hard working Aussie
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
@ClemKadiddlehopper I am stunned that no-one is buying the pork picnics or otherwise known as pork shoulder roasts here in Australia because I would have bought the lot too. Do you think they just don't know how to cook them at all ?, intriguing. You are right that smoked they are delicious and we smoke them in the BBQ and slice the meat for the freezer for stir fries and the like.

Your smoked meat incidentally is a good tradable item too.

Organ meat in most cases is an acquired taste and most who went through the depressions probably vowed and declared they would never let another piece of organ meat pass their lips ever again. Like you however we eat all the organ meat too and not a lot of people realise that those are high in iron such as lambs fry or lambs liver for those people who are anaemic such as myself. Strangely once they are soaked in milk prior to cooking and cut up in a stir fry and served most people would not even know it was organ meat.

I think your strategy is correct is head for less populated areas when and if the SHTF is your best chance of survival. The 10/10 rule applies being if you haven't heard of it is at least 10 miles or kilometres out of town and at least 10 miles or kilometres off a main road. Strategy being that when marauding hoards head out to pilfer they will hit the properties within easy access and in the built up town areas.

41 - 60 of 129 Posts