Prepared Society Forum banner

21 - 40 of 129 Posts

·
Hard working Aussie
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I think prior preparation and planning and bulk cooking as mentioned by @Danil54 for the busy family but is sadly lacking in society today and as @dademoss has pointed out in latest studies. Also people have become incredibly lazy too and have forgotten or never been taught in a lot of cases to cook or been taught about basic nutrition either.

·
Hard working Aussie
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@Danil54 can I touch base with you here on the potato flake bread starter as to how much yeast you put in and how to feed it too. This is not something I have done so would appreciate some more information. We also cannot get potato flakes here in Australia but do get instant potatoes in a packet and I was wondering if you could substitute that ?.

·
Registered
274 Posts
@Danil54 can I touch base with you here on the potato flake bread starter as to how much yeast you put in and how to feed it too. This is not something I have done so would appreciate some more information. We also cannot get potato flakes here in Australia but do get instant potatoes in a packet and I was wondering if you could substitute that ?.
I posted over in recipe share. Didn't want to highjack your original thread. That recipe can also be made with mashed potatoes from my understandings from the person I received it from. I just have not because I had potato flakes in storage that needed used. I store the flakes in a just in case scenario, but when I make mashed potatoes, I peel the real ones. :)

This recipe makes the best cinnamon rolls too.

·
I sold my soul to the internet
2,121 Posts
#11 vegetable oil, you can cook without it, the right pan on the right heat, meat has its on oil.
#93 cigarettes take up space & is a waste.
#96 is listed in #90
Over all it is a good list, I have about 50% of the list, because I use them now.
I found a store that sell the hard bar shaving soap & cup for men, that will last for years unopened.
If you are going to have milk animals, you need to learn to make butter & cheese now.
Pigs & rabbit are easy to raise too. Pigs take up more space, rabbits can be raise off the ground above chicken pin. Most poultry are easy to raise.

·
Hard working Aussie
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Going on the second part of the survival list of the Sarajevo war survivor, what does everyone think would be good tradable items. Would be interested in everyone's input as these are also things we have to think about should our stocks run out in an emergency situation.

I will go with the obvious one is toilet paper.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
After some time has passed, and depending on the season a big event happens, I would say seeds. Food items overall are always going to be a good trade because I don't think there will be enough. Maybe, too, unusual foods that are not grown in the US much. Coffee beans come to mind. Bananas would be fairly non existant. Guess I should dehydrate more of them.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Maybe im the only one that see it this way, but the list has a lot of convenience items. A lot of modern fuel dependent items. In stead of stock piling things like propane why not learn how to make a methane digester? Or maybe learn how to extract fuel from wood. I don't know... I just prep with the thought that i can live very comfortably living in the old ways. The key to my prepping is being self sustainable now that way not much changes. Different strokes for different folks i guess.

·
160 Posts
In heavily populated areas fuel is a big item. For those of us who live away from population centers it is less of a concern. Even at that there is no way that 40 acres is enough land to support trees for fuel. People in cities have a thing about light. That is why lamps and lamp fuel is a big thing. They don't know how to start fires without matches so matches and lighters are also a big deal. I don't think alcohol will be as big an item as folks think because it is easy to grow weed and everyone or most will have a supply. Still it is one of the big vices and it will come in handy for special occasions. Toilet paper is a no brainer. Most people wouldn't use a cloth wipe if they had it. It's too "dirty" and you have to wash and "sterilize" it.

My shampoo, body wash and hand soap comes in the same bottle, it's called liquid dish detergent. It is a detergent and not soap. It will store forever, is a good disinfectant, and is made to rinse off cleanly. It is all I have used for the last 30 years and it's good on dishes and treating clothes too! Rub it into a grease or sweat stain before you wash the clothes and it comes out clean. Regular use kept me from getting head lice when the kids brought them home from school. My wife and all the kids shared their lice and I didn't get any. You can get it in a number of fragrances but I use the unscented variety.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
I went through the list and wanted to find the most expensive items to purchase, the kinds of items that some preppers may have to save up for or financially plan for, making them the items that some people will not likely have. I edited the list to the more expensive type items. You can go to the grocery, hardware, or other stores and pick up some items for a nickel here, a dime there, and before you know it, you can have a basic stockpile of items. The items listed below take more planning.
I know some of you can give some input that is more refined.
Bikes can be found for free or cheap, if you work it, but there are good quality bikes and carts that are expensive and likely to get stolen if not watched or stored carefully.
Here is the link - http://www.all-about-preparedness.com/p/store.html

1. Generators (Good ones cost dearly. Gas storage, risky. Noisy...target of thieves; maintenance etc.)
7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.
14. Mini Heater head (Propane) (Without this item, propane won't heat a room.)
21. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)
23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder (Urgent: Small canister use is dangerous without this item)
34. Coleman's Pump Repair Kit
64. Bicycles...Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc
74. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)
86. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)
100 Top Items Disappearing in War or Natural Disaster

21 - 40 of 129 Posts