Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a condo with no close access to water. We have water stored away. I plan to have about 1500 gallons for four people. What concerns me the most is what to do about the toilet. We just can't use 5 gallons a day for a flush toilet.

I've been thinking about putting something together where it would be something like a toilet seat over a 5 gallon diaper pail that's been double lined with garbage bags with the cover kept on it between uses. Possibly adding kitty litter to cover up the smell. There's a wooded area about a hundred years from where we live. In a SHTF situation we could dump our waste in garbage bags there.

Does that sound practical? Anybody have any better ideas?

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
BillS: I have some kitty litter in my preps for the same purpose. You can buy a toilet seat that attaches to a 5 gallon bucket for the purpose you are talking about.

Another thing that people use is saw dust. It is biodegradable and some people think that is a better way to go. Sometimes I see people who have sawdust to give away on craigslist so you might be able to get some free.

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
I went on a boating trip down the Colorado river with my father a few years back, and there is a strict policy about what you can leave in the Canyon. Nothing. They had a large ammo can with a toilet seat, and used some kind of biodegradable chemical to put in the pot when you were finished. No water was used at all. I assume the kitty litter/sawdust would do the same thing.
Any woodshop should have tons of sawdust to give away, and they make kitty litter out of all kinds of biodegradable stuff, newspapers and sawdust, but theyre kinda expensive. Contact a local woodshop/lumbermill, etc and ask them. We get huge bags (the size of two standard trash bags) of sawdust for cleanups in my shop from a local woodworker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In a SHTF situation sanitation and infection are going to be rampant from lack of services and improper human waste disposal from runoff. So please be careful.

PatriotNurse on YouTube talks about this.

Emergency Essentials sells toilet emergency supplies, like biodegraders.

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
Bucket be one a the good solutions an yer headin down the right path with the kitty litter. We got some quick lime ta add in there ta control odor an help prevent disease. Remember, if yall ain't flushin it, ya don't need toilet paper, most any paper will do say newspaper, paper towel an such.

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
I have a Luggable Loo .
You can also get just the lid if you have your own 5 gallon bucket, which is what we have because we have a bunch of buckets. We have had our water go out from pipes breaking and this was a necessity for us with 8 people!! You don't realize how much flushing you do until you can't actually flush!! My mom has a self contained toilet that she uses for camping.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Outhouse (aka the Jones House)

I don't think this will work for the original poster, but it may work for others.

My mother grew up on a ranch that never had running water. When I was a kid, we would spend summers and holidays out there. Since there wasn't running water, they had an outhouse. The outhouse was as far from the house as a city lot.

The place had its share of snakes: rattlers, bull snakes, etc. In the hot summer time, they would tend to be out at night, so going to use the outhouse (also called visiting the Joneses in my family) at night was not done. Instead, there was a chamber pot that was used and then emptied into the outhouse in the morning.

My idea is that maybe a person could have a special shed with a pit dug in it for emptying the chamber pot into, unless you would prefer to walk a hundred years away. The odor could be mitigated in the same mentioned earlier, with saw dust or cat litter. Or toilet chemicals.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
One idea that I considered a while back was having a metal wheelbarrow set aside for waste handling purposes. After a shtf scenario, there will be an abundance of uncut grass. When the grass is tall enough it could be cut into bundles and dried. If someone took a bucket of waste every day and poured it into the wheelbarrow, the grass could be added into it and mixed so that it could dry. It could be burned once it was dry and the fire would kill any germs in the waste.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
human waste can be mulched much the same way other waste material is done. it takes longer and needs to be treated a little different. urine is good for it ammonia. keep your human waste separate from your house waste, but after about two years or so of setting just as your other compost, this can be used. years ago a company my father worked with did experiments with human waste. the grass is really greener over the septic tank was very true. we had the best lawn in the hood that year and for several more. they also use and sell the dried waste from treatment plants.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I posted a review a while back about a book called "How to shit in the woods".

One of the things that I did for myself was create a "poop-tube". It consists of a piece of 6" PVC with a solid cap on one end and a screw-cap on the other end. It is only used for collecting solid-waste, not liquid.

What you do is lay-out a few pieces of TP on the ground. Sprinkle kitty-litter on the TP and then drop your solid-load onto the kitty-litter. Sprinkle some more kitty-litter over the top, fold-up the solid-waste and place into the poop-tube.

The kitty litter will soak up the moisture and hold the smell-factor down.

When you get a chance to empty the poop-tube, you can put it into a standard garbage container or into an out house ... rinse well, spray with disinfectant and it is good for the next round.

Picture below of my set of three poop-tubes ...

Attachments

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
I don't think this will work for the original poster, but it may work for others.

My mother grew up on a ranch that never had running water. When I was a kid, we would spend summers and holidays out there. Since there wasn't running water, they had an outhouse. The outhouse was as far from the house as a city lot.

The place had its share of snakes: rattlers, bull snakes, etc. In the hot summer time, they would tend to be out at night, so going to use the outhouse (also called visiting the Joneses in my family) at night was not done. Instead, there was a chamber pot that was used and then emptied into the outhouse in the morning.

My idea is that maybe a person could have a special shed with a pit dug in it for emptying the chamber pot into, unless you would prefer to walk a hundred years away. The odor could be mitigated in the same mentioned earlier, with saw dust or cat litter. Or toilet chemicals.
When the power went out in a major city,people had to leave apt.s,condos because of smell and safety hazzards.

When I was a kid we ad an outhouse that was used in power outages.Also a 'slop pot'.All hardware stores had them complete with seat consisting of a comfy wide rim built into the pot and a lid to cover it.Nobody liked empting the pot.

Now that Sears and other catalog stores are going out of business 'along with america'no more free toilet paper.Plus Pennys started charging $5 for their catalog.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I save the prospectus from the company that used to manage my retirement account (yes, they still send them to me, even though I cashed out!)

The pages are thinner than a phone book page, and have a soft texture. I find it satisfying to think of using them as toilet paper. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts