Preparedsociety.com banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we had a thread for a while that everyone would tell what they brought in from their garden but I'll be darned if I can remember what/where it was so I guess I'll start a new one.

I haven't been to the garden yet today but yesterday between the rains we dug our onions and I'm guessing we got about 3 bushels, left them spread out so the rain would wash them up. After they cure I'm going to tie them into bunches and hang them from the rafters of the porch, I think we have some "pantyhose" around here somewhere that the DD's have discarded and if we can find them we're going to fill them with onions and hang some along with the bunches of tied ones. The oldest DD is going to go out today and cut the greens off some of them to dehydrate.

Also dug the two plots garlic and I estimate we got about 20 to 25 pounds of it, left the plot of "Elephant Garlic", it's still growing. This is the first year we've grown it and I'm not too sure how long it takes to mature so will keep an eye on it.

Going to go out and pick the first of the zucchini today and have it for lunch.

·
Supporting Member
746 Posts
I haven't been to the garden yet today but yesterday between the rains we dug our onions and I'm guessing we got about 3 bushels, left them spread out so the rain would wash them up. After they cure I'm going to tie them into bunches and hang them from the rafters of the porch, I think we have some "pantyhose" around here somewhere that the DD's have discarded and if we can find them we're going to fill them with onions and hang some along with the bunches of tied ones.
Approx how long will they last stored in this manner?

·
Supporting Member
692 Posts
Approx how long will they last stored in this manner?
We did the "hose and hang" method last year on Texas super sweets. Harvested in fall and stored in non-heated room in house. We had a couple get soft around January, and most were starting to sprout around mate March to early April. I've heard onions that are less sweet will last longer.

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ours never lasted anywhere near that long, not because they spoiled though - we just eat a lot of onions. Ours usually keep until we've eaten them all around late summer or early fall.

The garlic will stay hanging until it's completely dry then I'll pull the tops off and store it in a wire basket in the coolest part of the house. This is the first year I've grown that much but when I was a kid it would keep through the winter.

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a pleasant surprise today, I was looking through my plum trees to see how many we might get this year and in the top of 1 tree I saw 2 ripe ones about the size of lemons. I have no idea why those two were ripe when the rest were green and the size of ping pong balls but the oldest DD and I each ate one and they were good!

Early in the year the trees started to bloom then it turned cold and the blooms that had opened died, guess those two survived.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Oh ...Oh...Oh ...

My first tomatoes... Yes, It was from my greenhouse but rather tasty! :p

·
Texan
446 Posts
Canned 4 qts of green beans last night and 7 1/2 pints of berry jelly tonight. It was so good I licked the spoon. Ready to start digging potatoes but don't think they are quite big enough. Pinto beans are looking fabulous! Lots of green tomatoes. 3 inch rain helped last week. Today was last day at school for me. Workshop next week. So ready to harvest, can and dehydrate.

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With all that rain we had last week some of my heads of cabbage had started to split - so cut them off and gonna some of it tomorrow for lunch.

They didn't have much growing left to do, the heads were between 4 and 5 pounds.

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brought in about 4 pounds of dill flowers to dry tonight also picked a bag of dill/fennel(cross) flowers to go in after the dill dries.

That dill/fennel cross pops up all over the yard and garden - kinda like pigweed, seems to grow anywhere there is soil.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
More tomatoes from the greenhouse ...Dang they are good. The garden in general is not doing well with the lack of rain. (sigh)

But I did spot a few green tomatoes that looked good for fried tomatoes...

·
Jack of Alot, Master of Few........
1,064 Posts
Pulled in 3 heads of broccoli, 19 pickling cuc's, 2 squash, and a bowl full of cherry maters. The big maters should start turning later this week and more cuc's peppers, squash and zuchini coming in. woohooo

Attachments

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More dill flowers, may have to cut the entire dill plot and dry it - leaves and flowers included if the grasshoppers dont move on in the next day or two.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
The first summer squash ... :p and just a few more green tomatoes to fry up with it...

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
More dill flowers, may have to cut the entire dill plot and dry it - leaves and flowers included if the grasshoppers don't move on in the next day or two.
Hmmm.... dill flavored grasshoppers :droolie:

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmmm.... dill flavored grasshoppers :droolie:
Now thats an idea isn't it, just pack em in a jar with vinegar and sit em beside the cucumber pickles. lol

Note, The grasshoppers started gnawing the stems of the dill so last night I brought in the first load of whole plants and dried them, doing the same tonight and will keep doing it until the entire plot is dried.

Looks like we'll wind up with several gallons of leaves if yesterdays picken is an indicator, the plot is about 5x12 feet and planted thick.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have 1 Hungarian Pepper half way to maturity.:mad: The new house has a lot of rasberry bushes growing along the fence line, the neighbors say they are good producers. I like rasberrys.:partydance:

1 - 20 of 176 Posts