Today in the garden and around the house

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by CVORNurse, May 16, 2009.

1. CVORNurse

CVORNurse Well-Known Member

Got up at 6 this morning and went out to do some weeding. I got my pepper row weeded and found a cayenne that is almost at the picking stage. Took the bucket of weeds to the goats and chickens. Then I picked the last of my english peas and my carrots. Will put purple hull( aka pinkeyed cow peas) peas in the place of the english peas, and a few more squash plants where the carrots were. We have planted squash but had so much rain this month they have pretty much died. Then I picked off the potato bugs by hand and threw them in a bucket of water. Found 4 patches of eggs and got them too. Weird, we haven't gardened in 14 years, and never potatoes before, but the plants in the garden are just covered.
    It is almost 1030 local time and I am getting changed to go get goat and chicken feed. Will also ask about something to handle the potato bugs. I prefer not to use poisons in my yard and gardens, BUT... the blessed little creatures are also on my tomato and pepper plants, so if the hand picking doesn't bring them under control, I may be forced to use something.
    Then I hope to work up a new compost pile, with the first ingredients being the spent pea vines. May spread some of my partially decomposed compost around some of the tomato plants.

I am on call, so stuck within a 20 minute radius of my hospital. DH took the kids to a family reunion so the place is all mine. I need to do more laundry and clean the kitchen good, but really have outside fever right now. Hopefully it will stay cool and no more rain. My county has had it's wettest May since 1885 or 6 according to our local rag. My small community is right on a river and we had trouble with a leaky pipe under the levy all of last week. Finally got it filled with concrete. Good thing, The river crested at it's 3rd highest recorded height on Thursday.

So what are you doing today, either prep wise, or just in general. I view my work so far as prep, because of all the veggies I anticipate being able to can.

CV

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  2. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

i've never had a real problem with potato bugs on my veggies etc. I find the love wet or rotting wood. I'd get rid of any decomposing logs or wooden beams in the area and that should take care of a lot of the problem. They also like to nest under rocks so if you kick over the rocks that'll take care of a few more. Best of luck. Sounds like a great start!

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Neem Oil - When used as directed it is a magnificent product. I was introduced to it last year when I had a horrible potato bug infestation. It kills the insects that chew on your plants but doesn't bother the beneficial ones unless you use too much. You can read more about it here.
    Neem Insecticide - Neem Oil Insecticide - Does It Work?

4. CVORNurse

CVORNurse Well-Known Member

Thanks Uncle Joe, will look into neem oil. It is so weird that we would be hit so hard, having not grown potatoes ever. One or 2 of the plants have no leaves at all. And the 2 containers I am experimenting with in the front yard have ZERO bugs on them. They are gorgeous, and if they do anything at all, I will be scavenging tires so I can do several more next year.

I got slightly sidetracked in town. After waiting my turn at the feed store, which is very busy on Saturday mornings, I decided to stop at the thrift stores and see if I could score canning jars or other canning paraphernalia . Struck out there, but picked up 2 new shirts and a pair of pants for myself, and several pair of jeans and tops for DD#2, as well as a brand new looking Old Navy coat, all for her to grow into. And since she learned to read this year in Kindergarten, I picked up some more kids books for her.
    Stopped at ChinaMart for some more jars while they still have the cheaper brand, and ran into several friends and coworkers.
    Got home about the same time my family did, and we fixed up another bin for compost, fed the animals, looked at the garden, and discussed our plans to fence in part of the back for the goats to eat down the brush, as well as plans for more raised beds, paths, a patio out back, fruit tree placement, etc. Came in around 8 and shelled the peas for tomorrow.
    Now I am winding down, and thinking ahead to tomorrow. Plan to plant squash, peas, and cukes, finish weeding, and add more to the new compost heap.

5. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Cucumbers are easy and fun. Just be careful with watering to avoid splitting.

6. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Last year was our first year with potatoes also and I had no idea what they were so I asked the farmer that delivers our feed. He didn't even walk down to the garden, he just said "get yourself some neem oil". That was the end of the problem for the rest of the year. We'll see what happens this year. I have 25 plants up so far and 10 more seeds to put in.

7. Practical Madman

Practical Madman Member

Hydrogen Peroxide gardening

I have been using H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) it is water with and extra oxygen molecule. Get the cheap stuff from the drugstore- 35% and mix it 5 parts water/1 part H2O2 to about 8%. Put in a garden pump sprayer and spray away. It will not hurt the plants (they love it) and it will run all bugs out of the garden. You know how it bubbles on your skin? It does the same thing to the bugs!

8. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

Currently, purchase of hydrogen peroxide in 30% or more of a concentration requires a special permit due to its caustic (& potentially flammable) properties. While pretty harmless in the over the counter variety (3%) – the more concentrated the more dangerous. H2O2 is used in rocketry in high concentrations as high-test peroxide (HTP) as a monopropellant and in bipropellant systems (think Burt Ruttan).

An 8%-10% solution won't hurt plants tho