Prepared Society Forum banner
61 - 80 of 95 Posts

1,050 Posts
So I see a lot that tobacco and alcohol will be great barter items. I was thinking about purchasing some of these items soon, but not sure where to even start. As an occassional smoker myself, I've got my supply. I was leaning towards maybe picking up some of the canisters of tobacco for trade. Their cheap here, I think about 10 bucks a canister. So I thought maybe 6 cans of different flavors. Most already come with papers and rollers, which would help in any trade. I also thought about getting a couple pounds of pipe tobacco, but keeping it fresh without the fancy boxes could be difficult. How much do you keep in supply?

As far as alcohol goes, I picked up a case of 12 cheap Boone's Farm flavored wine. On spirits: Besides drinking, alcohol has many uses already. What I'm not sure about is how to buy it. Maybe by the gallons (which is cheaper), or something a bit more compact by pints.

What are yalls views on stocking these? I'm shooting for a year supply.
I make it when I need it. Just having a supply of fermentables is key.As for tobacco, grow it.

1,050 Posts
I just got a frickin bill from the state of MD saying I owe them $1000 for the cigs I bought online over a year ago before the site went belly up. Apparently even if I drive to another state to buy them, I am supposed to 'volunteer' to pay the taxes on each pack. $2 per.
Bastards!
I would check your states fascism levels before you go off stockpilin!

:gaah:
Never buy those kind of things online. Too much of a paper trail. Cash and carry.

1,050 Posts
I've thought about checking one of the big wedding venue places here to see if they would save the champagne bottles and wine bottles but the gas prices are a bit too steep to run and get them every Sunday. I don't mind the gallon jugs but that is a bit of drinking to do at one sitting so most of the time I only take it to big family events.. My wine tends to be a tad "high octane" too... gotta work on that... lol. I buy a couple different types of wine yeasts.. one is a champagne type. one of the ones I like the best makes a high alcohol content yet also retains a really nice fruity/floral flavor. Lavlin LC-1118. I want to start brewing beer this year as I am getting quite a few hops on my bines.
I heard that bread yeasts do better with beers if you run out of other yeasts. as most beer is yeasty anyhoo.
I use the EC 1118 too for wine. It's the "Mack Truck" of wine yeasts. If you step feed it it will get you to about 18% ABV. As for bread yeast, I've used it to make mead with some success. I brew beer too. Ales are easier to brew than lagers as the temperatures can be warmer with the ale yeast. Built a mash tun and loitering tank from some coolers and ball valves. Best investment ever. (If you like beer that is)

· Registered
1,922 Posts
On the last Doomsday preppers the one fella was buying large quantities of alcohol and mentioned ON TV that he was going to use it for barter.. Many states will consider this to be "reselling" and if you don't have a liqueur license it can really put the hurt on ya AFT will come a knocking! ;).. just wondering if anyone else thought about that episode?

· Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,927 Posts
On the last Doomsday preppers the one fella was buying large quantities of alcohol and mentioned ON TV that he was going to use it for barter.. Many states will consider this to be "reselling" and if you don't have a liqueur license it can really put the hurt on ya AFT will come a knocking! ;).. just wondering if anyone else thought about that episode?
You make a great point however he never said how he was going to use in in barter. He could have just intended to GIVE the spirits away to get the other party drunk so they would make more favorable trades. Thats what I would tell the ATF if they showed up. Besides, you cant (shouldnt) get in trouble for something you didnt do (sell). I suppose they could say 'intent to sell'.. still.

· Registered
1,922 Posts
I think shows like "Dommsday Preppers" and Moonshiners"....et al are all pure BS.
Well Doh' of course they are out there for ratings but these are real folks who are being screwed by nat geo..
please remember to read both threads here about the doomsday preppers and the fact that two of them are members here and have responded to our threads..

· Registered
7,626 Posts
As for tobacco, grow it.
Or buy in bulk and roll your own. Left in the original, sealed bag and stored in a cool, dry place, it will stay fresh for years. And it will only cost about $7.00 a carton. I've been doing it for 4 years now.

· Old Salt
38 Posts
Well Doh' of course they are out there for ratings but these are real folks who are being screwed by nat geo..
please remember to read both threads here about the doomsday preppers and the fact that two of them are members here and have responded to our threads..
I think it's not smart to show your preps on TV. Most of these people are actors anyway.....IF you want to be on TV and you get busted (like one of them just did!) then you get what you asked for when crawling into bed with the Liberal media.

· Registered
1,922 Posts
I think it's not smart to show your preps on TV. Most of these people are actors anyway.....IF you want to be on TV and you get busted (like one of them just did!) then you get what you asked for when crawling into bed with the Liberal media.
These people are not actors. and it is totally apparent that you did not bother to read any of what is written here and other interviews with these folks.. Must suck to have to live like that.. all that paranoia and negativity. :(

· The only one responsible for yourself, is you!
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
So I went ahead and picked up some store bought tobacco and have gathered the supplies for making my own wine (easy since grandpa makes his own since he was like 16). Along some other investments in this area. I'm still lacking growing tobacco knowledge and time is creeping faster than usual for me to reach my goal before the new year. Ive picked up a few of each, Rum, whiskey and vodka for ourselves and barter in different sizes. Store bought stuff will be Good as a quick heads up for barter before moonshiners start coming out of the woodwork. I left tobacco sealed in orig packing and added to some things like matches and filter tips.

Attachments

· Registered
440 Posts
So I went ahead and picked up some store bought tobacco and have gathered the supplies for making my own wine (easy since grandpa makes his own since he was like 16). Along some other investments in this area. I'm still lacking growing tobacco knowledge and time is creeping faster than usual for me to reach my goal before the new year. Ive picked up a few of each, Rum, whiskey and vodka for ourselves and barter in different sizes. Store bought stuff will be Good as a quick heads up for barter before moonshiners start coming out of the woodwork. I left tobacco sealed in orig packing and added to some things like matches and filter tips.
I'm not sure that storing Top tobacco is the best choice. It's already dried out when you buy it- I can't imagine what it'll be like in a couple of years. Drum tobacco (or American Spirit, although I don't know if the lack of chemicals would help or hurt it's longevity) might work out a little better, although it is more expensive.

· The only one responsible for yourself, is you!
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
hillobeans said:
I'm not sure that storing Top tobacco is the best choice. It's already dried out when you buy it- I can't imagine what it'll be like in a couple of years. Drum tobacco (or American Spirit, although I don't know if the lack of chemicals would help or hurt it's longevity) might work out a little better, although it is more expensive.
I've actually smoked some Top that was nearly a year old. It had been pushed behind a dresser from DH cousin when he stayed with us. It tasted fine (as cheap tobacco goes. Lol!), and it was opened and the bag was only rolled up. I was thinking about getting it in canister, if I were wanting to barter for larger items. But the local canisters here are like cardboard. So I'm not sure they would last longer or not. Whereas buying it in the bags, I didn't open the original package that the tobacco bag is in. I got 2 dif brands of tobacco and then them in menthol and regular. I also picked up some pipe tobacco and sealed the same way. But, these are all just for trade. I'm hoping to pick up some chewing tobacco soon.

· Registered
2,243 Posts
If your roling tobbacco dries out gets too crispy and burns too hot for you you can re moisten it. I have used smallish patches of paper towels moistened and placed in a plastic bag with the tobaccy. My favorite ways to refresh it though is with a small section of apple or orange peel. Maybe a 1x1inch patch depends on quantity and how dry it is. have to kinda experiment with it and if it gets too moist in one spot pull out your peel and move it or shake the tobbacco around and let it set a lil while the moisture will even out in the package. I smoke so I have some tobacco stored gonna try one more time next summer to grow some in a couple of buckets or half barrels. Gotta get the seed first. Alcohol is still not in my storage but I do need to put priority on a gallor or two of each vodka and everclear just for tincturing with the medical herbs I bought seeds to try growing next year. Be a long while before I have money to store any extra for my own use or to barter.

· Registered
143 Posts
Great idea! I have the vodka etc, but never thought to get tobacco! As a former smoker, I cannot have cigarettes around, but loose tobacco would be fine.
As for long term storage....what do you suggest? Vacuum ? Mylar? Freezer?

· Registered
395 Posts
Hey, Ashley...

I've actually smoked some Top that was nearly a year old. It had been pushed behind a dresser from DH cousin when he stayed with us. It tasted fine (as cheap tobacco goes. Lol!), and it was opened and the bag was only rolled up. I was thinking about getting it in canister, if I were wanting to barter for larger items. But the local canisters here are like cardboard. So I'm not sure they would last longer or not. Whereas buying it in the bags, I didn't open the original package that the tobacco bag is in. I got 2 dif brands of tobacco and then them in menthol and regular. I also picked up some pipe tobacco and sealed the same way. But, these are all just for trade. I'm hoping to pick up some chewing tobacco soon.
If you're still on the fence about growing & storing your own, look up some of my other post by clicking over there on the upper left of this post on my name, "PAWPAW". For a while, we were going nuts with this subject (with photos), and we even sent some harvested seeds to dozens on this site. Oklahoma soil is bound to be better than this Florida sand-mix, so you've no reason not to!

· Registered
7,626 Posts
As for long term storage....what do you suggest? Vacuum ? Mylar? Freezer?
For me, it's none of the above.

I've got my supply to the point where I am always using at least 1 year old tobacco. It's stored in the basement in plastic totes still in the original 1lb packaging. Still as fresh and moist as if it were new.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.