Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· The wanderer
5,544 Posts
I agree with Turtle about the wine and liquor. We started to stock 'booze' for barter and then realized many of our relatives, neighbors, and friends were already making wine and other alchohol products (whiskey and rum), so they wouldn't have a lot of trade value. And like Turtle said, more will start making it. They'll make stills. Btw, I've heard a pressure canner can be used, somehow, for a whiskey still, but I don't know how that works.

We've stored tobacco products, vacuum-sealed, for barter. I don't know what happens to them after time, but since tobacco doesn't grow in our climate I figure at least it's something. After vacuum-sealing each pack or can separately we put them in an airtight bucket and stored it in our dark, cool root cellar where there's a steady temperature. A person could go a step better and put Co2 packets or oxygen absorbers in the bucket as well.

One thing I can offer regarding wine and liquor is if you consume it yourself right now, save your bottles. The people we know who make wine, whiskey, and rum are always asking around for bottles. We also save the glass bottles from olive oil and wash them out good. They would work for wine or liquor. If you have a place to store them, you might be able to trade "X" number of empty booze bottles for one that's filled! I know people also use mason jars, but I'd rather keep mine for canning actual food! :D

· The wanderer
5,544 Posts
Emerald, you are so cool! I've learned so much from you!

I bet a person could drop in at a bar or other place that serves wine and liquor, especially toward the end of the evening, and ask for empties? At least I'm pretty sure our local friendly tavern/restaurant/community-gathering-place bar would. You know, if you need some bottles right now.

I've never made wine but it sounds like something I could and should learn. I like the idea of being able to make vinegar too.

Do you use regular baking yeast? I've heard of "champagne yeast", like for making root beer. I wasn't able to find any back when we were going to try to make root beer. I bought the root beer extract and that's where it stopped.

· The wanderer
5,544 Posts
Ever hear of a law against Bootlegging?

How about transporting alcohol for the purpose of resale ?

You guys are worried about the Fed's taking your stuff, why give them a legal reason ?

Did you ever hear of a law called "Conspiring to commit a felony"?

As long as you are just stocking your own storage lockers, that isn't against the law. When you openly discuss preperations to begin an illegal business, that just isn't smart !

:ignore:
Yup. However I believe most of the activities you refer to were intended to be entrepenuerial endeavors after a total SHTF situation, and not in the face of existing laws before TSHTF. I'm sure no one on this forum intends to break these laws, as long as the laws exist; and while we plan and prep for the possibility, we hope the S never HTF to that extent.

Thanks for the reminder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.